No announcement yet.

Hot Ice: NHL Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They have more longevity than European soccer managers, but not much. The thing with the Leafs is they'll almost always find a way to make themselves worse, rarely do they improve under a new coach, Babcock was a golden exception. He's being replaced by the Marlies coach who's never got close to being a stick boy in the NHL. You just know how that's going to end.

Comment

Being a good player doesn't necessarily translate to being a good coach. In fact, it's often the opposite.

Comment

No, I meant Sheldon Keefe hasn't been behind the bench at NHL level for any reason, he has been a player, for Tampa Bay. A wannabe NHL coach needs to start where no one cares particularly how many games you win, at least in the short term. Like Carolina or Phoenix. With the Leafs he'll be basted and roasted sacrificial lamb after about a week.

Comment

That's what the mittenstringers who are the big names in Toronto media do, and they will do it to any coach that Dubas is truly comfortable with. His lack of NH experience does give them another club to hit him with, but they are never short of weapons.

Comment

Oh yeah. I'm thinking more about the effect it'll have on Keefe himself. I can't even remember the last time the Leafs appointed a rookie NHL coach (not counting a couple of obvious interims like Horacek and Beverley.) You might have to go back to the original six.

Comment

Punch Imlach fits the bill, though that was long ago even for us.

I don't know if it will really have a negative impact on Keefe. He and Dubas both strike me as the type to view it all as the OK Boomerism that it is. And they can be confident that other clubs will want what they are selling if the Leafs throw them under the bus.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                No, I meant Sheldon Keefe hasn't been behind the bench at NHL level for any reason, he has been a player, for Tampa Bay. A wannabe NHL coach needs to start where no one cares particularly how many games you win, at least in the short term. Like Carolina or Phoenix. With the Leafs he'll be basted and roasted sacrificial lamb after about a week.
                I see.

Well, maybe he’s an interim

Comment

One of my occasional non NHL interjections to this thread, with news that Sport Club Csikszereda, my home town team are on fire this season and are way ahead of the Erste Liga (which this year just features teams from Hungary (7) and Romania (3)) . Haven't been able to go much this season but last night I enjoyed watching a bit of an end to end match up against Ujpest which we won 5-4 with a winner about a minute from the end of normal time. (with, it has to be said, some poor goalkeeping on both sides). 4 Canadians in the squad this year, which is new for us, the foreign contingent here are usually mostly Slovaks or Russians. One of them, Josh Shalla, is tearing the league up with 20 goals and 24 assists so far (in 23 games)

League table https://www.ersteliga.hu/stats/standings#/1945/regular

Video of last night's match if you can be bothered

Comment

Originally posted by Cesar Rodriguez
                    Bill Peters fired. He was already on the hot seat after the Flames slow start to the season but the accusations of racism and violence coming forth from some of his former players had to have played a part.

With this, some of the revelations that Babcocks firing brought into the open and the Cherry stramash it seems like hockey is undergoing a revolution of sorts where the old school culture of racism, xenophobia and verbal and physical abuse is being challenged. In the short term its going to be ugly but it will pay dividends over the long haul.
                    Yes.

Hockey Canada is getting rid of the traditional age group names, Atom, squirt, peewee, bantam, midget, etc. and replacing them with standard U10, U12, U14 etc. Getting rid of the “midget” was obviously necessary, but the main reason for the change was they realized that having its own secret language isn’t helping hockey appeal to new families and the quirky names for the age-levels could be confusing even to people generally familiar with the system. Very sensible. I think USA Hockey did this a few years ago.*

But I made the mistake of reading the comments on twitter. If you ever need a reminder that Canadians are not necessarily more evolved than Americans, just check the responses to any proposal that makes hockey even slightly different than how it was in 1967.

*Next they should get together with USA hockey to redo the names for the various levels of junior hockey and clarify then distinction between junior and youth hockey.

Comment

They’re demolishing the Colisée du Québec. A real shame, it has no use anymore with the new (cough possibly white elephant cough) arena next door, but it’s the last of the real old school NHL rinks with the big galleries on the end. The Hartford Civic Center, of all places, has the same shape, but nobody can call a rink in a shopping mall a classic.

It was a few decades younger than the classic Original Six rinks, but it had the same vibe.

Comment

The Western Conference is tight though (as always.) No one's adrift yet. It'll be Easter before anything's clear.

Comment

So, its casual Friday and Im wearing my Habs sweater in work......

My new coworker who just relocated from LA asks "You like hockey?", conversation is struck, she says my grandfather used to play, I asked her "who for?" Answer: Flyers. Awesome, when was that? In the 70s she said, doing the math now, yeah, he won the Stanley Cup. My new coworker is the grandaughter of a Broad Street Bully, Ross Lonsberry from SK, played for those mid 70s Flyers teams, ended up on the Kings and after retirement he ended up staying in So Cal.

Course I had to point out the Habs beat the Flyers last night :-) Happy Friday!

Comment

A rare ray of light in a season that has fallen off a cliff.

I remember Lonsberry as a King, less so as a Flyer.

Comment

That's cool.

I may have mentioned that the new CEO of Medtronic played hockey for the ACHA Penn State team in the 80s when I was going to games in the old Ice Pavilion. I remember watching him. I'm hoping that I can use that faint connection to some kind of professional advantage somehow. Or maybe convince him he needs to give a lot more money to PSU hockey. He's on the wall of big donors but only in like the $50-$100k area. He's probably going to be making $30m+ now.

Comment

Hilarious, CR.

I come home for a damn month and see nothing but the Rangers putting 16 past the Devils and Isles and nothing but Panarin Great Gretzkyin' all over the place. (Mind, at least I got to see a beatdown of the Caps and Lightning, which in turn only makes it more annoying how the Devils suck.)

It's funny how you leave and forget what is pretty awesome. In PY, people don't even know what hockey is. The NBA is huge, the NFL is somewhat big, but hockey may as well be Kabaddi. I have to make a very conscious effort to even check a score. It's 110˚F / 43.3˚C and sunny out, you simply forget it's hockey season. Last year, as it heads into June it starts getting cold, and I said "oh, hockey season is starting..." only to find it was the Stanley Cup Finals. Rip Van Winkle shit.

In this case, I had no idea how I'd ever miss the winter cold, the sun going down at 4pm, turning on NHL TV an hour later and watching nothing but hockey while drinking Imperial Stouts until 11pm....I just had no idea how much I love and miss that shit. Something about the bright lights shining off the ice that brings so much joy.

Comment

Originally posted by jason voorhees View Post
                                  In PY
                                  It took me a while to decipher that. Pyongyang? Pentucky? Ah, South America...

Comment

After their win over the Sharks the Nux find themselves top of the Pacific Division by a single point... and four teams are tied for second. Parity, you gotta luv it!

Comment

Originally posted by jason voorhees View Post
                                      Hilarious, CR.

I come home for a damn month and see nothing but the Rangers putting 16 past the Devils and Isles and nothing but Panarin Great Gretzkyin' all over the place. (Mind, at least I got to see a beatdown of the Caps and Lightning, which in turn only makes it more annoying how the Devils suck.)

It's funny how you leave and forget what is pretty awesome. In PY, people don't even know what hockey is. The NBA is huge, the NFL is somewhat big, but hockey may as well be Kabaddi. I have to make a very conscious effort to even check a score. It's 110˚F / 43.3˚C and sunny out, you simply forget it's hockey season. Last year, as it heads into June it starts getting cold, and I said "oh, hockey season is starting..." only to find it was the Stanley Cup Finals. Rip Van Winkle shit.

In this case, I had no idea how I'd ever miss the winter cold, the sun going down at 4pm, turning on NHL TV an hour later and watching nothing but hockey while drinking Imperial Stouts until 11pm....I just had no idea how much I love and miss that shit. Something about the bright lights shining off the ice that brings so much joy.
                                      Great to hear from you JV, didn't think I'd seen you around this parish in quite a while. Hopefully life in Paraguay is otherwise going great.

Comment

.py is our www code.

yeah, I got a contract for another year. Going quite good. It’s just a very bad place to be a hockey fan.

in October it’s getting Habanero hot, November it gets Ghost Pepper hot, then December is Carolina Reaper hot. By the time it’s getting cold in June, you think it’s beginning hockey season...until you look it up and see the Stanley Cup is starting. Not to repeat myself or anything, but that’s literally what happened twice now.

but visiting central NJ, where I get MSG and MSG+ in addition to Philly Comcast....thus getting every Rangers-Isles-Devils-Flyers game in addition to NHL Network and NBC Sports....it’s just been a great I have no idea how much I missed.

Comment

And the Isles are up 2-0 in the 2nd....hopefully I’ll see at least one f’n Ranger loss

edit - little too close, as the Isles had a 4-0
                                          lead and gave up a major penalty which led to a 4-2 cut in the lead in addition to a delay-of-game penalty for the last 2 minutes....but got to see a Panarinless Tex’s Rangers loss
                                          Last edited by jason voorhees; 22-01-2020, 02:38.

Comment

Either side of hearing the awful news about Kobe yesterday I picked up (in rather random fashion) two pieces of pretty cool Hockey memorabilia.

The first - I got a 1991/92 box set of NHL cards (75th anniversary) in French! I've absolutely no clue if they are worth anything but I don't really care, they only cost me $15 and I've opened two packs thus far. I have a Messier all star card and a Lemieux card thus far. Also, a couple Whalers cards too.

Secondly, I swung by the hardware store and then ran into the second hand bookstore next door. I pulled a copy of boys of winter off the shelf, I looked for the price and saw it was $8, then I turned the page and saw it was signed by Jim Craig. I couldn't have run to the counter to buy it any faster if I tried.

I will see if I can post some pictures......

Comment

That is cool.

I was into hockey cards for a while in the mid 90s but gave it up because it was coating a lot and I didn’t have much space to store them.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                                That is cool.

I was into hockey cards for a while in the mid 90s but gave it up because it was coating a lot and I didn’t have much space to store them.
                                                Out of curiosity did you have a specific team or angle in collecting?

Comment

I liked cards of guys who played US college hockey.

I thought about getting into it again, but there aren’t many brick and mortar card shops around any more and poking around in those was the best part.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                                    I liked cards of guys who played US college hockey.

I thought about getting into it again, but there aren’t many brick and mortar card shops around any more and poking around in those was the best part.
                                                    Thanks for sharing Reed. I agree that browsing around in sports card shops is very fun.

I think the direction I am going to go (its not exactly super interesting or exactly original) is I am going to focus almost exclusively on Canadian players and organize them by province of birth/origin. Then within that provincial designation drill down to their hometowns, eg. put all the Windsor, ON guys together, all the guys from Regina together and so on.

I've been trying to figure out how exactly to organize my basketball cards for the longest time (draft class, team player is most associated with, college players attended, position etc.) and I have similarly settled on state of origin of American players. I will group them by the state that they were born/grew up/went to high school in as appropriate.

I think there is a lot of therapy that you can get out of collecting and organizing cards. Its one of those things that can be very calming IMO.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X