Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, and fuck the Broonz.

Comment

Soldier Field really pissed me off in this respect, because they kept the colonnade and pasted a generic bowl onto the back of it.

Comment

That's going to end up being a self-own by the Bears and Chicago, because not only is it a loathed building, they lost over 7,000 seats in the renovation and left it as the smallest stadium in the NFL. I don't really know how they screwed it up so badly.

Comment

Probably because they gained the kinds of seats they really want - club and luxury boxes. The NFL doesn't care too much about selling the regular seats. It's all about TV and the corporate sales.

Comment

Original Soldier Field had luxury boxes though.

Comment

Not “enough,” probably

Comment

Condolences to Snake.

There were clearly greater forces at work here than we could ever understand.

Comment

Ah, balls.

Well done Blues.

Comment

St Louis needs the psychological lift more than Boston.

OTOH, St Louis has terrible racial problems and the sports they hope are going to unite them are hockey, baseball and, hopefully soon, soccer. Not sure that’s going to work.

Comment

The ghost of Ron Caron smiles.

black people in St Lou actually like baseball. The other sports... not so much. Didn’t see many black faces in the celebrations at Busch Stadium or whatever the hockey arena is called.

Comment

I saw that they had a pretty packed park at Busch Stadium to watch it on the screens. I assume there were also a lot of fans at the hockey arena, which is the Enterprise Center (for the car rental company). It used to be the Scottrade center. The Blues have shaken down the city for a lot of upgrades in recent years and are angling for more. No doubt they have leverage now.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                          I assume there were also a lot of fans at the hockey arena, which is the Enterprise Center (for the car rental company). It used to be the Scottrade center.
                          Eek! I thought it was still the Checkerdome

Comment

That was demolished in 1999. Apparently not everyone was too happy about that.

Comment

Home openers announced today in conjunction with the draft, whole schedule Tuesday.

Comment

So. First round of the draft completed. A couple of big shocks. Thoughts?

Comment

There were always going to be surprises after Hughes and Kakko because clubs had rather disparate opinions of the relative quality of the rest of the field.

I would bet that the Adler were shocked that Seider went so high, but Detroit should be a good place for him. It's another endorsement for German hockey, which is definitely on the rise. Vancouver needed immediate help and took a very skilled Russian in Podkolzin who is still under contract to the KHL for two years - Canucks gonna Canuck. The Habs seem to be extremely happy to have gotten Caulkin.

Eight is an awful lot of US national development team players for the first round.

I never believed in any of the blockbuster trade scenarios, so was not surprised by their absence.
                                  Last edited by ursus arctos; 22-06-2019, 18:42.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                    Vancouver needed immediate help and took a very skilled Russian in Podkolzin who is still under contract to the KHL for two years - Canucks gonna Canuck.
                                    It usually takes two years before draft picks get a sniff of the NHL anyway. Another two years in the KHL should be equivalent to the AHL. I can't knock Benning, especially as a couple of players he had his eye on were gone by the time the Nux picked. Could turn out to be another Tryamkin of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

It usually takes two years before draft picks get a sniff of the NHL anyway. Another two years in the KHL should be equivalent to the AHL. I can't knock Benning, especially as a couple of players he had his eye on were gone by the time the Nux picked. Could turn out to be another Tryamkin of course.
                                      The high first round picks usually go right to the NHL, but certainly not always.

Comment

That's what I was thinking, but looking at past drafts it isn't at all typical for Number 10s like Podkolzin.

Comment

Some of the reaction to the Seider draft has been way OTT Ursus. Most Mannheim fans were surprised he went 6th but all of the projections had him 1st round and ranged between 10th and 21st.

Detroit needed help at both ends of the ice. Kronwall is 38 years old. Ericsson and Daley are 35. Thats a D that needs to find some replacements fast. Up top they had Larkin on 72 points last year and a big drop off to a few players clustered around 50. Maybe Cozens or the undersized goalscoring phenom Caufield or a few of the other forwards who went in the first round would help them up top. But is a 2nd or 3rd round D pick going to help them at the back as much as Seider should?

In the system Detroit have Kaski who will be playing NHL next year. Decent size, 23 years old and some offensive play from the back. Up front you have the 2 first round picks from 2018 doing well this year. Zadina is going to be in the show this year and Veleno is coming off a 100 point season in the QMJHL. If those 2 can step up in the next year or two and give Detroit some bona fide offensive threat then that gives Larkin a whole lot of help. Kaski may well be able to come in and make a difference in the new season but that still leaves Detroit needing to replace a few older D men. If Seider isnt ready this year - and he possibly could be given his very rapid development over the past 6 months - then another year won't hurt. By the time Detroit need him? Moritz Seider will be a top 4 D man who could probably develop into a top 2 D in a short period of time.

Comment

Here we go!

Subban to the Devils

Marleau to Carolina, who will buy him out so that he can go back to San Jose

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

The high first round picks usually go right to the NHL, but certainly not always.
                                              Top five yes, but below that rarely.

Comment

I mean, it's not 1995 Game 4 BBQ at my best friend's house vs the Wings with a Jersey Shore kid scoring in a cup-winning game on national TV, or yet another occurrence of New Jersey "Messing With Texass" after winning in Dallass in 2000....but LAWD I've never been more anxious to get back home and buy a jersey after this.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

Top five yes, but below that rarely.
                                                  Yeah, and a lot of them stay another year or so with their junior team or college team.

Comment

Belfast vs Liberec in the CHL live on Freesports. Currently a war, with somewhat unusually, the UK side being more disciplined as their opponents rack up the penalties. Liberec captain thrown out for a very cheap shot after Belfast scored.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X