No announcement yet.

Hot Ice: NHL Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Sharks have a had a lot of good teams, but never won it, so that would be nice. The Blues have never won, so that would be ok too, I guess. Might help keep the team in St. Louis.

I don't think I can name a single player on their team.

I don't think Boston will be sufferable if they hold three major pro trophies at the same time.

I have no feeling for Carolina except that I wish they were still the Whalers. Or the new Nordiques.

Comment

Woohoo!

Comment

Joe Thornton looks like a 60 year old hermit

That overtime goal did look a bit handpassy to me, I have to say, but never mind.

Comment

A bit?

Comment

Video review has been a disaster in the playoffs,

They nitpick incredibly marginal offsides and ice entries and exits, but apparently are not allowed to review an outcome-determinative handpass that none of the officials saw live but all four officials missed live.

There will be changes to the regime, but that won't help St Louis, or Colorado, or . . .

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/snstats/status/1129443326363668485?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                Video review has been a disaster in the playoffs,

They nitpick incredibly marginal offsides and ice entries and exits, but apparently are not allowed to review an outcome-determinative handpass that none of the officials saw live but all four officials missed live.

There will be changes to the regime, but that won't help St Louis, or Colorado, or . . .
                I understand that they might want to make some things non-reviewable so the game doesn't stop every minute for a video review, which already seems to always take longer than should.

But once they have stopped the game to review something - particularly a goal - it seems that everything about the play should be up for review and if they see a penalty that wasn't called, call that too. Otherwise we end up with these situations where everyone on the planet including the refs knows what really happened but the outcome doesn't reflect it. That defeats the purpose of having video review. Taken to the extreme, it defeats the purpose of having refs or even keeping score.

It's the same in the NFL.

Comment

Yes

Comment

So, my lot have broken Canadian hearts, sent Cinderella packing and swept a lovable bunch of jerks.

All that is left is to stomp all over Joe Thornton's dreams of a Cup.

It's nice to be on the side of the Empire occasionally.

Comment

If Rask keeps up his final boss form for one more series, resistance is truly futile.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                        So, my lot have broken Canadian hearts, sent Cinderella packing and swept a lovable bunch of jerks.

All that is left is to stomp all over Joe Thornton's dreams of a Cup.
                        No, you only broke Torontonian hearts. You broke Vancouverite hearts eight years ago.

I've been trying to decide whether the Bruins are the Leeds, Chelsea or Millwall of the NHL.
                        Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 18-05-2019, 00:59.

Comment

Philly are Millwall, though with some actual success.

The Bruins are Chelsea without the oligarch money.

Leeds might be the Devils, shifted two decades.

Comment

Nah. They played 7, 6 and 4 game series. A week rest will do them much better than if they were waiting to start round 2 or 3. Ask the Sharks if they would have preferred a week off.

My worry is that the Bruins have been a little bit susceptible to losing 3 or 4 in a row in the regular season.

Comment

Bugger

Comment

Ran out of bodies at the wrong time of the season.

Comment

A quick diversion from matters NHL. Hjallis Harkimo has finally rid himself of his involvement in Jokerit, both, it seems, financially and hands-on management. The new owner is none other than Jari Kurri who, according to today's local paper, now owns Jokerit 100%. The Russian backed consortium that continues to own the Hartwall Areena (Jokerit's home turf), had earlier divested its interest in the club by selling its 49% stake back to Harkimo. Jokerit will continue in the KHL, apparently there being no consideration of a return to the domestic league. At which point the head scratching really starts. Jokerit's foray into the KHL has been financially catastrophic for the club, in which case why would anyone wish to continue with matters unchanged and putting their own wealth at stake? As today's Kaleva sums it up "Kurri is Jokerit's only owner, but who in reality carries the financial risk and how?"

Comment

That is a very good question

Comment

Just watched the highlights from Game 1. I wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of Torey Krug.

Comment

Thomas is still trying to get the number of that vehicle.

Of course, if that wasn't charging then nothing short of hitting a guy with a Zamboni is.

Comment

Not even close. Gliding from twenty feet away, skates on the ice, shoulder to shoulder contact.

Comment

You really are a Bruins fan . . .

Comment

Meh. Write a rule to stop that hit and you'll take 70% of the hits out of the game.

Blues tie the series in OT. For some reason we have to wait three days for the series to resume. But I'm OK. Everything is OK.

Comment

My hockey playing (non Bruins) colleague claims that was a clean hit.

Given how St Louis stepped it up on Krug and wiped out one of Boston's more valuable players, Krug might live to regret escalating things with that hit a little.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                                  For some reason we have to wait three days for the series to resume. But I'm OK. Everything is OK.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                                                    Given how St Louis stepped it up on Krug and wiped out one of Boston's more valuable players, Krug might live to regret escalating things with that hit a little.
                                                    This didn't age well. :-)

Krug did something Bobby Orr and Wayne Gretzky never did - score four points in a single Stanley Cup Final game. Last guy to do it was Brian Leetch.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X