No announcement yet.

Hot Ice: NHL Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didnt expect a whole lot from the Senators this year, but their start to the season has been particularly bad. The games against Vancouver have been absolutely horrific. I've watched as much as I can of them. I'm not a Sens fan but I'm interested to watch how Stutzle adapts to life in the NHL. Right now Matt Murray does not look like a goaltender with a $6million salary cap hit. They don't play with nearly enough pace when attacking and they look really poor in their own zone. They don't have a lot to offer other teams. It might be worth calling up some guys from their development system to give them this weird shortened season and see if anybody impresses? AHL hasn't started yet and if you're going to be turned over 7-1 and the likes then really, what are you gaining by sticking with veterans or guys with limited pace and skill sets?

If Galchenyuk can play centre as well as wing then I'd have him centring Stutzle. Stick Colin White on the right wing and you at least have a very mobile trio with a playmaker in Stutzle, a guy who can score goals in Galchenyuk and White to do a little bit of everything.
    Last edited by BallochSonsFan; 28-01-2021, 16:24.

Comment

They did get 43 shots on Demko last night, half of them in the first period — a club record apparently. But they just seemed to wake up the play-off ready Demko, not the dozy dork we've seen so far this season. He's an odd duck, gives up a ton of rebounds but somehow the first save only tees him up to make a better second one. Anyway Miller and Petey played like last year rather than this year, so maybe the Nux are finding their stroke.

Comment

Originally posted by BallochSonsFan View Post
        I didnt expect a whole lot from the Senators this year, but their start to the season has been particularly bad. The games against Vancouver have been absolutely horrific. I've watched as much as I can of them. I'm not a Sens fan but I'm interested to watch how Stutzle adapts to life in the NHL. Right now Matt Murray does not look like a goaltender with a $6million salary cap hit. They don't play with nearly enough pace when attacking and they look really poor in their own zone. They don't have a lot to offer other teams. It might be worth calling up some guys from their development system to give them this weird shortened season and see if anybody impresses? AHL hasn't started yet and if you're going to be turned over 7-1 and the likes then really, what are you gaining by sticking with veterans or guys with limited pace and skill sets?

If Galchenyuk can play centre as well as wing then I'd have him centring Stutzle. Stick Colin White on the right wing and you at least have a very mobile trio with a playmaker in Stutzle, a guy who can score goals in Galchenyuk and White to do a little bit of everything.
        I only watched two of their games: last night's game at the Canucks, and a game sometime last week hosting the Jets that they lost in overtime. They're a weird bunch alright. In both of those games, they started off with a period where they look vaguely competent, but then at some point everything just goes horrifically wrong.

It doesn't help that there was a point in yesterday's game where the Senators led 27-14 in shots but the Canucks led 3-1 in goals.

Comment

All of this does is provide further proof that Vancouver's level is Better than Ottawa

Any other conclusions are highly speculative

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
            Several people I know reckon last night's second period was the worst ever by a Canucks' team. Which is a very high bar.
            Islanders were determined not to be outdone yesterday. Way to throw away a big lead.

Varlamov's stats illustrate the concept "regression to the mean" there.

Comment

https://twitter.com/nhlgifs/status/1355688045492785154

Comment

Another game where a Habs player takes a check to the head and another incident where DOPS reckons that there was nothing to see and that we should all move on. And another incident for Brian Burke to do his absolute best at filling the void left by Don Cherry in the "talking bollocks on HNIC" role.

Myers should have been banned but wasnt.
                Dube should have been banned but wasnt.

Either Parros is running NHL DOPS the same way he played the game - hired thuggery - or he's treating incidents against Montreal differently because of his failed final season as a pro.

Comment

https://twitter.com/arponbasu/status/1356397675646652417

Comment

Harumph! It'd be too much to have QPR and the Nux win on the same day. HNIC just put a graphic saying Holtby has the best record of any visiting goalkeeper ever in Montreal. I think that'll be lying in pieces in the blue paint at the end of the night.

Comment

Those would have been games in which he had a functional defence corps

Mercy

Comment

For sure. Quinn Hughes, an aging Edler, and a bunch of kids and spare parts aren't going to cut it behind the blueline I'm afraid.

Comment

OK, that's enough. Self-flagellation isn't my thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                            HNIC just put a graphic saying Holtby has the best record of any visiting goalkeeper ever in Montreal
                            Aside: That reminds me of the fact that David Ayres won more games in Toronto than Roberto Luongo.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                              Those would have been games in which he had a functional defence corps

Mercy
                              The number of breakaways given up was unreal, though I guess it's best to put them all in one and the same game.

Comment

These series are brutal when the matchup is this one sided

Comment

C’mon FedEx. Figger it out.

A shipment of Zdeno Chara's hockey sticks mistakenly ended up at the home of a New Jersey man.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                    These series are brutal when the matchup is this one sided
                                    The departure of Chris Tanev has been massive... MASSIVE!

Comment

Sabres are Not Happy that they are having games cancelled because they appear to have caught COVID after being forced - in their opinion - to play New Jersey.

Comment

Jim Benning must be waking up in cold sweats letting Toffoli walk, to play for less money in Montreal than in he was Vancouver. Especially when a waste of space like like Virtanen is still on the roster.

Comment

Nux begin a series in Toronto tonight. If it goes like Montreal I'd expect major off-ice changes by this time next week.

Comment

Where is it going wrong for Vancouver?

On paper you'd think that Holtby was a decent enough pick up at a $4.3mil cap hit. Certainly better than the $6mil that Ottawa are paying Matt Murray. Is it a problem at the back? I don't think Edler and Myers are worth a combined $12mil. Up front you've got Loui Eriksson in the taxi squad on a cap hit of $6mil a season. Not a lot of teams will be able to absorb some of the Canucks cap hits if they're looking to trade and with quarantine issues, any trade outside of Canada would include a 2 week quarantine period, Help isnt immediate unless it's a trade with another Canadian side.

I watched the Sens v Habs game this morning. Much better performance from Ottawa and a poor night from many of Montreal's offensive players. D were also oddly lacking. Price isnt a bona fide game changer these days and I don't think he's significantly ahead of Allen, although he's still the recognised number 1 goaltender in Montreal. Toffoli was really poor. Suzuki wasn't great. I maintain that Drouin is a waste of a jersey at $5mil a season. Ottawa played simple hockey, didnt give up as much space or as many great chances and Murray was able to save 36 from 38 shots. Stutzle had a big game - goal and his first 2 assists in the NHL to take him to 3G, 2A for the season on a poor Senators team. I'm not saying that it's a turning point for Ottawa and I don't expect them to go on a winning streak, but it at least gives them a shred of hope. The rematch on Saturday afternoon should be interesting.

Comment

If you watch tonight's highlights, you will see that it is very much a problem at the back
                                              ​​​​​

Comment

Yes. Benning's been catching heat all week. Mainly in response to questions about why he didn't sign Toffoli, "There really wasn't time." (Eight months!) And "We were focused on defence." (Well that clearly went well.) Benning's been Canucks' GM for seven years. Until Tanev was let go, he and Edler had been propping up the blueline the entire time, and they were both signed by his predecessor. Until Quinn Hughes was drafted last year, every single one of Benning's defensive moves has crapped out. If he hadn't been successful in drafting a string of excellent young forwards he'd be gone already.

Comment

Benning's inability to judge defensive talent is particularly gobsmacking given that he was a top four NHL defenceman for half a dozen seasons before he was slowed and then stopped by injuries.

But this just can't go on. Holtby is exhibiting signs of PTSD.

Comment

https://twitter.com/snstats/status/1358237877696679936

Comment

Working...
                                                    X