No announcement yet.

Hot Ice: NHL Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petr Cech has signed for Guilford Phoenix as their 3rd string goaltender.

Grew up playing hockey and is a big fan, says he is happy to realise a boyhood dream now that he is retired from football.

Comment

Originally posted by Cesar Rodriguez View Post
      Petr Cech has signed for Guilford Phoenix as their 3rd string goaltender.

Grew up playing hockey and is a big fan, says he is happy to realise a boyhood dream now that he is retired from football.
      It should be pointed out that Phoenix are Guildford's development team and play in the fourth tier, as opposed to the Elite League Flames.

Cech's debut was quite a success and attracted a massive, for that level, 900+ crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

It should be pointed out that Phoenix are Guildford's development team and play in the fourth tier, as opposed to the Elite League Flames.

Cech's debut was quite a success and attracted a massive, for that level, 900+ crowd.

Thats superb.
        Big Pete is living his best life.

Comment

Champions Hockey League into the last 16

Comment

Die Adler not completely without a chance in the last 16 of the CHL. Would be happier if he hadn't lost 6-1 to the Wild Wings on Sunday but we did manage to beat Augsburg 8-3 last Friday. I'll be in the SAP on Friday and Sunday for games against Straubing and Nuremberg.

More worrying for DEL hockey is the plight of Krefeld. Looking likely that they'll be bankrupt within the next 3 weeks.

Comment

So...Don Cherry.

For the uninitiated, Don Cherry is an ex NHL coach who has, for over 35 years, hosted a 5-7 minute segment on Hockey Night In Canada called Coach's Corner. (He makes a million dollars a year.) It's a soapbox, basically, and Cherry is a loudmouthed old white asshole who has said hundreds of dubious things over the years. Usually he's beating up on Swedes, Russians, etc. Basically anyone except 'good Canadian lads' who know how to play hockey.

On Saturday night, last, he went off on anyone who didn't wear a poppy for Remembrance Day, but saved most of his ire for 'you people...who come here for the milk and honey' but don't want to buy a poppy. It was as racist as you think it was.

Anyway, the Twittersphere has gone mental, as has pretty much everyone in Canada. Rogers Sportsnet has apologized (tepid), his co-host Ron MacLean (usually a decent guy) has apologized for not speaking up at the time (he blithely nodded along) and Cherry has still said nothing.

The Canadian Broadcast Standards Council just released a statement saying that so many Canadians filed a complaint today that it has overwhelmed their system and please stop. I've never seen anything like this, frankly.

I hope, and expect, he'll be out of a job by the end of the day. We'll see.

Comment

Rogers are shit scared of canning him, just as the CBC were. Most of the time the TV ratings drop between periods, but when Coach's Corner comes on they go sky high. If they dump him their advertising rates will plummet.

Comment

Yup. This is business decision, for sure. That's what's so sad about it. Gets sadder with each passing hour. Should have happened in the wee small hours after the show on Saturday. Rogers is either taking a 'wait and see' approach or are actively negotiating his severance package right now. Hope it's the latter.

Comment

Get WOM an adult beverage

[URL="https://twitter.com/thnkencampbell/status/1193976577098469376?s=21"]https://twitter.com/thnkencampbell/status/1193976577098469376[/URL]

Comment

Putting a few chinotto on ice in case this is true.

Comment

TheScore and Joe Warmington are saying it's true.

Comment

Yup. Confirmed by Sportsnet and Budweiser.

Comment

It sounds like they were trying to get Cherry to apologize to save himself and themselves, but nope. Don has to be a stubborn asshole. Bye pal.

Comment

Warmington is the only person he's apparently spoken to in the media, and it was clear he was going to stand by his remarks. What does he care at this point? But Ron MacLean still has a few more years to fill and clearly enjoys this job and all his others.

Comment

Surprising. Not clear why *this* was the final straw. Maybe it’s The Times We Live in.

Ratings may take a temporary dip, but this is the best move for the network and hockey in the long run. The population that loves Don Cherry are not a growth market. They need to appeal to - or at least not alienate - women, people of color, recent immigrants, LGBTQ+ people, etc.

I don’t know why the poppy obsession never took off in the US. WWI wasn’t as big of a deal here as in the Empire, but it was a big deal. We lost twice as many lives in WWI as we did in Vietnam.

Comment

He'll become a totem for the Wexit campaign, even if he's from "evil" Ontario

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                    I don’t know why the poppy obsession never took off in the US. WWI wasn’t as big of a deal here as in the Empire, but it was a big deal.
                                    Many Canadian historians see WW1 as a nation building experience. Identity creation distinct from being under the skirts of Great Britain.

Comment

Bye Don. You won't be missed.

(Being a Bruins fan who started following them in the late 80s, whenever I read about the Bruins of the 70s Cherry looms large. And I've always inwardly cringed at that in a "Oh hell, I wish it didn't involve that guy".)

Comment

The irony is an American woman actually invented the poppy, and it was first adopted by the American Legion.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

Many Canadian historians see WW1 as a nation building experience. Identity creation distinct from being under the skirts of Great Britain.
                                          I can see how it was nation building for Canada, though I guess that is debated. It was for Australia (and maybe New Zealand?) too, as I understand it.

There's some irony in that, isn't there? I mean, Canadians went because they were part of the empire, right? There wasn't much of a debate in parliament about whether it was really in Canada's best interest to fight, was there? Some French Canadians disagreed, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Flynnie View Post
                                            The irony is an American woman actually invented the poppy, and it was first adopted by the American Legion.
                                            I think I knew that. But it hasn't caught on. Perhaps because within our veterans culture - and our culture at large - it's not popular to suggest that war is a huge tragedy. We're supposed to make it sound noble and cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

I can see how it was nation building for Canada, though I guess that is debated. It was for Australia (and maybe New Zealand?) too, as I understand it.

There's some irony in that, isn't there? I mean, Canadians went because they were part of the empire, right? There wasn't much of a debate in parliament about whether it was really in Canada's best interest to fight, was there? Some French Canadians disagreed, of course.
                                              True. I think Vimy Ridge (like Gallipoli for Australians) was the defining moment. Both were, more or less, suicidal missions ordered by British generals who knew the carnage that would take place, but also knew that the suffering would be felt by families thousands of miles away from London. So it was of little consequence. Britain would never be perceived in quite the same way again.

Comment

13 game point streak please and thank you

Comment

He's gone.

I remember the Leafs were all in on him.

Comment

Teams are always all in on their coach until they're not. I believe I read that NHL coaches generally have less security than the coaches in any of the other major North American sports. I don't think wherever I read that included MLS, but MLS coaches seem more likely to survive even long runs of poor form than NHL coaches.

For whatever reason, teams go through stretches where the boys in the room just need to hear a different voice, eh? You know, it's a shame that the coach has to wear it, but and you know everybody in here loves Babbsy and we've all got to look in the mirror and find a way to get back to playing our game, eh? We've just got to take it one shift at a time, get pucks in deep, finish our checks and, uh, win some hockey games.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X