Euro basket 15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Euro basket 15

Basketball, of course, has absolutely no profile in Britain whatsoever so I'm enjoying the fairly high level of coverage and interest it gets here in Spain.

Went to the CL stuff in Madrid earlier this year and now really hooked on the Eurobasket tournament from Lille.

Anyway, as I type, the semi final between Spain and France is tied at 66 and going into five minutes overtime. At one stage late into third period Spain were 12 points behind but fought back to be leading by three only to be pegged back with seconds left. This is seriously exciting stuff right now (70 -70 now).

Euro basket 15

Spain edge it 80-75 in the last thirty seconds.

The commentary team are rather excited.

Comment

Euro basket 15

Saw the whole game and there was one thing somewhat limiting Gasol, it was Gobert, who had an egde on him in the air. When Spain fought back, Gobert was out to avoid him getting his 5th foul. And when he got it in overtime, Spain and Gasol ripped France apart.

Good match though, and congratulations to Spain !

Comment

Euro basket 15

I've just been watching this in a bar in Bordeaux - the locals were seriously excited, then deflated. I'll be honest, we only went in there in the hope of catching the Spurs game, but even though I don't know shit about basketball I found myself caught up in how entertaining it was.

Comment

Euro basket 15

There's a longish history of enmity between the two teams (not quite Holland/Germany in football, but sort of similar), so it was bound to be a good game.

It will be interesting to see what the crowd is like for the final. They would have had 30,000 if France was in it (they are playing in Lille's football stadium, just like the Davis Cup).

Serbia-Lithuania tomorrow for the chance to meet Spain in the Final

Comment

Euro basket 15

Yes, the bad feeling between the teams is well documented: Spain's win at the 2012 Olympics was marred by over aggression from both sides, and the French victory in the World Cup of 2014 was a major surprise that badly deflated the Spanish, who were desperate for revenge last night. For most of the evening, though, I didn't think they were going to get it.

Comment

Euro basket 15

So was I, Tony.

There have been some whines coming from our camp afterwards (whether they are justified or not, it does not matter at all), especially on how Gasol emerged from the game with only 2 fouls with so much grabbing and shoving in the area, in stark contrast with Gobert's 5.

IMO it was the key. Gasol was kept reasonably at bay by Gobert since the French pivot was very dominant in the air at both ends. But when Collet had to sub Gobert in the 4th period in order to avoid him getting his 5th foul too early, I kind of expected the outcome really. Gasol could do whatever he wanted unchallenged. It went even worse when Gobert got the 5th one in OT.

It was an intense match anyways, and to the victor, the spoils.

Comment

Euro basket 15

Te amo Pau.

Seriously, I had to defend Gasol on here earlier as one of the best big men of his generation. What he can do is incredible. No Marc Gasol, no Rubio or Calderon, only one of his teammates scoring in double figures.

Comment

Euro basket 15

Pau, Dirk, Manu, Tony

They aren't Lebron or Jordan, but any serious ranking of the top 25 players of this century so far is going to have their names on it.

Comment

Euro basket 15

Another breathless finish in the second semi with Lithuania holding off Serbia 67-64.

Comment

Euro basket 15

Oh man

Will they break out throwbacks for the final?

Comment

Reviving this thread to note the British women's teams achievements at Eurobasket 2019 (curiously co-hosted by Latvia and Serbia). They lost 63-56 to France in today's semi final and so will play Serbia in tomorrow's third place playoff. Whatever the result it will be the best ever finish by any British team at the continental championships. I think it's fair to say that this was not predicted, particularly given that Britain failed to qualify for the finals in 2017.

As one of the top six finishers, Great Britain will advance to one of the Olympic qualifying tournaments - this will be a four team group from which three qualify for Tokyo.

Comment

Spain won and is front page news here.

Comment

Working...
                          X