Q for Janik: timing of ranking points credit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Janik, you've explained before on here how there's some kind of time lag for points from ITF level events to get credited in the ATP's official ranking lists. Could you remind me of the details if you have mo please?

Also, what do you think of that time lag? I'd vaguely imagined that it's for the administrative convenience of the ranking list compilers, to cope with the volume of results at ITF levels, affecting hundreds of ranked players. But surely in this age of software that would no longer be a reasonable excuse for such delay? Or is there some other reason for it?

I don't mean to be too critical of the ATP, mind. One thing they do brilliantly is disclosure of ranking info in extremely user-friendly form on their website, including detailed historical stuff and brilliant functionality for extracting info of different kinds and in different formats for different purposes. It's a shame that the WTA's website is absolutely nowhere near as good in terms of disclosure and presentation of ranking info.

As always, I know better for Women's events than Men's.
    For the Women, ITF $50k and above go onto the rankings on the Monday immediately after the event finishes (and even do so if the Final is held back a day due to rain). For $25ks and below the points only appearing 8 days after the event ends.
    I presume the same is true of Men's ITF events, which are only $10k and $15k futures, but must admit that I don't know this for certain (Dan Evans hasn't been credited for winning last week's Britain F9 event yet, so it does look that way). All ATP Challengers go on straight away, for sure.

As for the reasons, my guess is much the same as yours - administrative reasons. However I'm thinking more at the tournaments end, i.e. the Futures events don't have to file their official results by the same Sunday evening deadline as higher levels. I can imagine that Futures are often close to one-man bands in terms of the admin, so giving an extra bit of slack may be helpful in keeping tournaments onside.

Comment

Thanks Janik, it makes more sense to me now.

Comment

Working...
      X