IRELAND HAVE WON A MEDAL!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Light-flyweight Paddy Barnes has outboxed a Pole 11-5 to move into the semi-finals, thus assuring himself of at least a bronze.

Light-heavyweight Ken Egan could double our medal tally when he takes on a Brazilian in about two hours' time.

Ah, good old Ireland. Medals for fighting, if only there were events in drinking, singing, and horses running over cobbled streets.

Comment

I thought you didn't like countries relying on foreign ringers?

Comment

Is he from North Korea?

Shit.

Comment

EIM wrote:
          Ah, good old Ireland. Medals for fighting, if only there were events in drinking, singing, and horses running over cobbled streets.
          If there were a Financial Corruption Olympics, I am sure we would be nibbling at Nigeria's and Italy's heels.

Comment

Hiero- didn't your event program include his CV? Choked for us in the last Commonwealths- he managed to lose on points from 6-0 up. Like a boxing Tottenham.

Comment

EIM wrote:
              But as the great philosopher Alan Partridge said "Dere's more to Oireland dan dis"

Comment

Duncan Gardner wrote:
                Hiero- didn't your event program include his CV?
                I didn't know anything about him other than his name and the fact he was in the quarter-finals.

Ireland's last gold medal winner in boxing, Michael Carruth, lived around the corner from us when we resided in Perrystown. He and his triplet brothers used to come into our shop.

Comment

These guys are less than 7 stone 10. Size zero boxers.

Comment

Barnes has to fight a Chinese boxer in the semi-final. That's the end of him.

Comment

Comment

Now the "fastest white man on earth" is going to be running his 200 metres heat.

Comment

Now the "fastest white man on earth" is going to be running his 200 metres heat.
                          He was interviewed on New Zealand TV after he won his previous heat, and asked if he thought he was an inspiration to white men. Honest. That's a must-find on YouTube (not there yet).

He handled it well, quietly demurring rather than throttling the interviewer.

Comment

The Athenry guy has a few distant cousins competing for Australia, I think.

Comment

Duncan Gardner wrote:
                              The Athenry guy has a few distant cousins competing for Australia, I think.
                              We saw your alternative thread title the first time, Duncan.

Comment

These guys are less than 7 stone 10

Ireland wins a bronze in the "half a man" category.

Comment

We saw your alternative thread title the first time, Duncan
                                  I thought you weren't paying attention to the program?

Comment

What in the name of jaysus are you on about now?

Comment

I'm enjoying Northern Ireland's deserved second medal. What are you on about?

Now excuse me, I've a Brazilian boxer to support after lunchttime.

Comment

That man Duncan seems fairly dim if he can't understand why someone from Belfast wouldn't want to box for Ireland. It is the man's country after all.

And wasn't this same poster whinging elsewhere about 'team GB';You can't have it both ways!

Comment

Sorry if I can't match your intellect, Mayo bhoy. Barnes represented Northern Ireland in the last commonwealth games. I imagine he was happy enough then. Where did I suggest he shouldn't box for Republic of Ireland, or wherever else he pleases/ qualifies?

How am I having it both ways, Einstein? There's no contradiction in supporting NI in football and individuals in other sports at the Olympics.

Comment

Assume he was given the choice? Which looks right given his heritage. And that Ireland's not in the commonwealth.

Given there's no country called NI, or ever likely to be, there's the contradiction in making out they even exist.

Comment

Of course he was given the choice. Being from Belfast he's entitled to represent (part of) Britain or the Republic of Ireland, or both (as he did by competing both here and in the Commonwealths).

A sizable part of Ireland (the part that's already won Olympic medals and outscored the other part in Euro 08) was in the Commonwealth last time I looked.

I notice you support teams in two separate countries that don't exist.

Comment

Duncan Gardner wrote:
                                                A sizable part of Ireland (the part that's already won Olympic medals and outscored the other part in Euro 08) was in the Commonwealth last time I looked.

I notice you support teams in two separate countries that don't exist.
                                                6 of 32, three sixteenths,sizable to a dope dealer maybe?

And of course you're right, no-one would ever dream of calling S E London, or the east end of Glasgow countries but least as plausible as the north of Ireland!

Comment

Millwall- why not fuck off to cartoonprovos.com, before you get banned? There's a good chap.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X