Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this the ultimate sporting prodigy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qC3HF7wfEc

New Zealand domestic Women's T20 Final, televised live. Batting side 61-3 after 12 overs.

Enter Amelia Kerr. Who is- you won't believe this- a 14 year old legspinner. Watch the whole spell. She takes 3-19, plus has a catch dropped at mid off (having tossed the ball up a bit more), another catch not given out and another ball that hit stumps and doesn't knock the bails off.

It isn't just the control- how does anyone pitch legspin within 6 feet of where they aim?- but the variations. About 4 balls in, she does a wrong-un. There's also a zooter and a slider.

Isn't she incredible?

Marvellous stuff!

Comment

Can she bowl for the senior men's team?

There's also one in her first over that would have been caught and bowled if she was fully grown.

Comment

Jesus

She scored a T20 century at Basin Reserve when she was 13

Comment

And apparently keeps wicket when the need arises...

Comment

Rob Steen ought to be watching that and feeling a sense of deja vu. He just appears to have got the nationality wrong. But the name is really rather close.

Comment

That looks like it was in an age group game. I assume she doesn't play in those any more. Opposition wickets would clatter at the sight of her doing warm ups. Like Sylvester Clarke.

I forgot the one that goes just over her head. There's also a very sharp chance that the keeper misses. The keeper is double her age.

Comment

The comments page on that clip is absolutely dreadful - there should be a ban on that sort of shit.

One comment from there is true, though - she hardly bowled a traditional leggy - they were nearly all wrong 'uns and zooters.

Comment

Youtube comments can take the joy away from anything, can't they?

She does bowl a leggy but it's not a Warne-Gatting level spinner. It's more in line with Richie Benaud's comment that if you can spin it half a bat's width, you're in business.

I think she might even bowl two different wrong uns. There's one early on that goes a mile (and the batter picks it). There's another which doesn't turn anything like as much, which the batter (admittedly a lower order one) doesn't get at all.

Comment

Never read the comments.

There are very few leg spinners of any age who can manage Warne levels of turn - he was a freak of nature in so many ways.

The most remarkable thing about her is that she can control her variations so well at just 14 - by all accounts it's not usually until the mid 20s that most leg spin bowlers learn enough control to become a top line bowler. Kerr looks to be well along that path already.

Comment

Amelia's probably added a "Warne" delivery to her repertoire by now. That match was 7 months ago.

In fact, she's probably developed a delivery that burrows under the batsman and uproots the leg stump, while simultaneously signing Crowded House's Greatest Hits.

Comment

Like the assertive way she directs her field at the start too. But yeah, a lot of variation, and not that many traditional leggies in there.

Comment

Does anyone else think it would be fairly common among 14 year old bowlers to bring out all the variations in a single over? In a T20 match, that might not be such a bad tactic.

Comment

Isn't that what Adam Hollioake introduced into the Surrey shorter form team a while back? Slower balls, holding across the seam, slower short balls etc.

Comment

I think the slower bouncer was a bit later, wasn't it? Flower-era England. Maybe Hollioake used it at Surrey though.

Comment

E10 Rifle wrote: Like the assertive way she directs her field at the start too. But yeah, a lot of variation, and not that many traditional leggies in there.
                                Yeah, I liked the pointing Looked quite precise too, didn't it?

Doesn't the first delivery do a little bit as leg spinner? Half a bat width, something like that. Flies through first slip- another wicket she could have had.

Comment

Tubby Isaacs wrote: I think the slower bouncer was a bit later, wasn't it? Flower-era England. Maybe Hollioake used it at Surrey though.
                                  My memory of Hollioake was a more general variation of pace. It was spoken of in hushed tones within English cricket as if it were some new form of wizardry

Comment

So how is Amelia Kerr's "difficult second season" going?

Not as spectacular as the TV debut, but solidly enough. She's played for New Zealand A and got a few wickets in the Women's T20 and 50 over games.

This game though caught my eye. I thought women's cricket had relatively low scoring rates. Here S Devine comes out to bat in the 14th over, and scores 162 not out.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/new-zealand-domestic-2015-16/engine/match/918551.html

Even I might give a leg spinner a bowl defending 340. Heck, Clive Lloyd might have done.

Amelia Kerr bowls her full allotment and takes 3 for 38, including 2 main batters. Devine takes 3 for 4.

Comment

SouthdownRebel wrote:
                                      Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs
                                      I think the slower bouncer was a bit later, wasn't it? Flower-era England. Maybe Hollioake used it at Surrey though.
                                      My memory of Hollioake was a more general variation of pace. It was spoken of in hushed tones within English cricket as if it were some new form of wizardry
                                      Adam Hollioake wasn't as good as it seemed he should be. Maybe he was talked up because of his Australian background. I remember watching him get belted around in an ODI when captain, and the Sky commentators told us it was "good to see Hollioake "backing himself. The batsmen agreed.

Comment

A.E.J Collins record may have gone, with a teenager in Mumbai - Pranav Dhanawade - reportedly scoring 1000 runs in an innings. As it happened in 300 balls, I suspect the boundaries were on the short side.

Comment

The captain declared when he was on 1009 not out.

I'd have left him on 999, to keep him hungry for his next knock.

Comment

Amelia is now 16, and playing for the NZ ODI team.

First 4 ODIs- combined figures of 6 for 120 from 33.5 overs. Played one T20 international- 3/16.

Doesn't sound bad, does it?

Comment

She got a bit of stick in this domestic game (7-0-51-1) but came back top score 58 off 96 balls.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/newzealand/engine/match/1051875.html

Proper cricket. If not quite as proper as Deanna Doughty, the number 11, who scored 1 not out off 25 balls. She must have been a Mark Richardson fan.

Comment

Sometimes it's obvious who the outstanding player is in your team.
                                                Shania-Lee Swart scored 160 of her side's 169-8, with the rest coming from extras.

Comment

Those partnerships must have been interesting. Maybe one of the duck scorers stayed in a while, blocking out the last ball of the over, while Shania-Lee carted a load off the other five balls.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X