There ain't no flags on the athlete's rags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antonio Pulisao wrote: I believe I only booked the five minute argument.
    If you don't want people calling you wrong on the internet, don't write wrong things you can't even defend on the internet.

If you do, and they do, don't wet your fucking pants about it.

Comment

My pants are dry.

Similarly, if you want people to engage you, then don't call their statements "completely disanalogous", "false, radically simplistic, or completely irrelevant", "piss poor", "a load of arrant nonsense" and "inaccurate to the point of being deeply racially dubious."

Comment

Your statements are all of those things.*

If you'd like to refute the charges, have at it.

If you're instead going to pretend that they don't need refutation, since I'm only making them out of beastly rottenness, get to fuck.

* Except "piss poor", which was your repeated attempt to avoid defending the statements. In fact, every one of those remarks bar "completely disanalogous" (which is factual, and true) were made only after you tried to avoid engaging with me or defending the statements, by playing this lame-ass "really like an argument" card instead.

Comment

I couldn't be bothered. I don't care.

Comment

In your sixth subsequent post on the subject, you claim you don't care about it?

Hilarious.

Comment

I care about doping in sport. I just don't care what you think about what I have written.

Comment

Yes, seven-posts-and-counting in response makes that very clear.

Comment

Toro Toro wrote: garcia - the big thing is the track. It's reckoned to be about a second faster per lap. Which more than accounts for the kind of margins we're talking about.
                  I think you need to provide some context there Toro. A second faster per lap compared to what or when? I read that modern synthetic tracks are a second faster per lap than the kind of cinder track Roger Bannister will have run on.

This particular synthetic track is not a second faster per lap than the ones Marita Koch was running on. We're talking tiny incremental improvements here, not to mention plenty of PR stuff about this being the fastest track ever made - a claim which is made at each and every Olympic or World championships.

Comment

Has anyone compared the physiques of Koch and modern athletes? Was Koch achieving her times through sheer power in the manner of a field athlete whereas current athletes have better technique and physiques that convert more innate biology into speed?

Comment

meregreen - yeah, that could have been clearer. Nevertheless, the track is markedly faster than the early-generation synthetic ones Koch ran on, which were a second a lap quicker than the old cinder ones. Spikes are now developed to optimise the response to the new tracks too.

So yeah, this only accounts for tiny incremental improvements; but we're only talking about tiny incremental improvements. Schippers beat only by a dip an athlete who's not getting anything like the same shade. And she hasn't blown Koch's times apart, she's just about slightly bettered them. That's perfectly consistent with training, tech, and nutritional advancements in the intervening time.

Again, this isn't Lance Armstrong blowing rivals apart like a space alien whose power threshold has been set four or five percent too high.

Comment

Working...
                      X