Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just how did boxing end up in such chaos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With the announcement that Floyd Mayweather has decided to end his career against Andre Berto, rather than any of the main or realistic contenders for his crown including Amir Khan (I could hear the sobbing and wailing from Bolton from here this morning) it got me to thinking, not for the first time, how did boxing end up in such a bloody mess? You have three, four or five (depending on who you listen to) organizations that all claim to crown a "world champion", yet none of them have any real system for determining who should fight who for their titles.

It's as if in football, Germany got to defend the World Cup in Munich against a series of opponents of their own choosing, while Argentina similarly claimed to be world champions in their own organization and were lining up their next defence against Scotland because someone in Glasgow had put up £3m for them to play there.

Well the 'sport' itself consists of bludgeoning opponents to a bloody mess, so perhaps it's inevitable that the system follows suit.

Comment

Mumpo wrote: Well the 'sport' itself consists of bludgeoning opponents to a bloody mess, so perhaps it's inevitable that the system follows suit.
      Not a big fan, I take it...

Comment

Boxing = Rollerball.

Comment

It's what happens when a sport's governing bodies make maritime authorities who sell flags of convenience look like paragons of virtue.

And will continue as long as media companies are willing to promote their "titles".

Comment

It is a mess, but as we discussed in the boxing thread, I think there are some divisions that look really good right now. It's less about the governing bodies than the promoters not coming to terms to make a fight because the promoters are tied to specific TV networks. The proliferation of belts was likely a response to the inept and corrupt qualities of the WBC, WBA, and IBF when those were the three main groups. But now it seems like those organizations don't hinder good fights from happening. As I said, it's a promoter/network thing.

Comment

But having those three associations was a mess already.

If I recall the complicated mess correctly, the WBA was the original boxing association. But because it was inherently corrupt (I know, hard to believe) and, as a US-founded association, very biased towards US boxers and promoters, the WBC was set up in the early '60s as a non-US-centric alternative.

The IBF's establishment I remember as being a bit of a joke. Basically, some asshole lost an election to another asshole and the loser asshole and pals decided to set up their own outfit.

I don't know the genesis of the WBO, but I don't think they arrived on the scene to bring high ethics to the sport.

Comment

The numerous associations are there for one reason, money.

To be ranked on any of those association and have a title shot, you have to pay sanctioning fees every time you fight. this can be a persenbtage of your purse or a flat fee. When you look at the number of fights out theire, this can be a lucrative thing if all your doing is handing out ranking and belts.

The WBA have taken this to a new level with up to three champions in some weight division with the Interim, regular and super champion. Then you have International belts for fighters outside the top ten purpetuating the farce.

As for fighting Berto, the truth is that if Mayweather fought the likes of Thurman, Porter, Garcia,Brook or Khan he would beat them with ease and it would make for a more booring tactical fight than with Berto who would at least comne forward. I doubt the others really want to fight him anyway and are hoping he leaves so they can take over as the next big thing in the Welterweight division.

Comment

Mama said knock you out... HUUUH!

Comment

Working...
                  X