Vuelta a Espaņa & Tour of Britain 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There was me thinking it was too early to start this thread, but the post-Tour comedown and the announcement this morning of the teams participating in the 2015 Tour of Britain convinced me otherwise.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/tour-of-britain-2015-teams-revealed-184807

MTN-Qhubeka are in strong demand now! They have been selected for the Vuelta and the Tour of Britain, as well as the Tour of Utah which starts next week.

No surprise after what was an excellent Tour de France for them, but given that they are a Pro Conti level team, I don't know how well they will divide between those two races. Steve Cummings should be at the head of the ToB charge I expect.

Comment

Magnus Backstedt: "Geraint Thomas deserves Vuelta lead role."

Comment

The Cycling threads have taken Football's end. Come on then!

Comment

Teams for the 2015 Vuelta a Espaņa, 22 Aug - 13 Sep
          Ag2r-La Mondiale
          Astana
          BMC
          LottoNL - Jumbo
          FDJ
          Cannondale - Garmin
          Giant-Alpecin
          IAM
          Team Katusha
          Lampre-Merida
          Lotto Soudal
          Movistar
          Etixx-Quick Step
          Orica-GreenEDGE
          Sky
          Tinkoff-Saxo
          Trek Factory Racing
          Caja Rural-Seguros RGA
          Cofidis
          Colombia
          Europcar
          MTN-Qhubeka

Teams for 2015 Tour of Britain, 6 - 13 September
          BMC Racing
          Etixx Quick-Step
          IAM
          Lotto Soudal
          Movistar
          Cannondale – Garmin
          LottoNL - Jumbo
          Sky
          Tinkoff – Saxo
          Cult Energy Pro Cycling
          MTN Qhubeka
          Novo Nordisk
          An Post Chain Reaction
          JLT Condor
          Madison Genesis
          NFTO
          ONE Pro Cycling
          Raleigh GAC
          WIGGINS
          Great Britain [Development] Cycling Team

Comment

Harry Truscott wrote: The Cycling threads have taken Football's end. Come on then!
            Bugger. Admins please!

Comment

Both races have new mascots for 2015. The Tour of Britain has ToBi:

The Vuelta has introduced Tei Tei for its 80th edition:

Comment

Both races have new mascots for 2015. The Tour of Britain has ToBi
                Hmm, I'm not sure I approve. What do you lot think? ToBi, or not ToBi? That is the question.

Comment

I can't help thinking they've based him on Peter Kennaugh:

There's a good snappy stage-by-stage analysis of the Vuelta route on Podium Café. Though I'm not sure the author has read some of the vertical gains very accurately, tbh. What do we think? My first impression is that it is fairly Valverde-friendly.

Comment

Unless he's changed in some way, ToBi (or Toby) Tour isn't new, he's been present on the race for at least five years.

The crowd behind Tei Tei is more than some Vuelta stages will see spread across the entire route.

Comment

Ah, so it seems. Looks like he has a slightly different head than before.

The sponsor name is new, though, as it's now the Aviva Tour of Britain. (Last year it was the Friends Life ToB, and they are part of the Aviva group.)

Coupled with the uprating in race class to 2.HC last year, and fact that the two winners of the World Championships later that September (Kwiatkowski the road race, Wiggins the time trial) both rode the ToB rather than the Vuelta, it's another sign that this race is becoming a bigger deal.

However it means that the leader's jersey now resembles a Norwich shirt. (Except it's far more appealing than the horror that Carrow Road has actually unleashed for next season, with no "Aviva box" here.)

Stage seven, Saturday September 12, finishes in Ipswich, so the crowd might turn their backs on the presentation...

Comment

Thanks Admins!

Here's a preview of the Tour of Britain route.

Comment

Nice to see the course changing up, even if it keeps them out of the South West and off my commute route...

Comment

I think that jersey design will be a presentational one, the central Aviva logo will likely be replaced by that of the leader's team.

The different nature of the route brings the race near me for the first time in years, which I'm delighted about.

Comment

Toro Toro wrote: Nice to see the course changing up, even if it keeps them out of the South West and off my commute route...
                              Yeah, good to see them crossing into Scotland for a finish and a start. Hopefully now only a matter of a few editions before we get the Bealach na Ba summit finish it's crying out for.

(I know, accessibility, transitions, etc... but still...)

Comment

Stage Two takes them right past the hotel Signora Rogin and I got married in.

Comment

BMC go early on their Vuelta team:

Darwin Atapuma (COL), Marcus Burghardt (GER), Alessandro De Marchi (ITA), Jempy Drucker (LUX), Amaël Moinard (FRA), Joey Rosskopf (USA), Samuel Sánchez (ESP), Tejay van Garderen (USA), Peter Velits (SVK)

Tejay: "After looking at the route and considering what happened at the Tour, all things just seemed to point in the direction that the Vuelta was the path to take," he said. "The more I have thought about it, the more excited I am about doing it. It is a great new challenge.

"This is 100 per cent my decision. It would be nice to go out and try to win the USA Pro Challenge again. But after what happened at the Tour, I need to prove myself on a bigger scale."

Sounds like he and Samu are a sort-of-co-GC-pairing.

Comment

On 15th October 2012 my game of choice was Bovey Tracey v Welton Rovers in the second qualifying round of the FA Vase.

Plan for the day was train to Totnes, visit to County Cheeses, bus to Buckast for the Abbey, then bus on to Bovey via Ashburton (2 required guide pubs).

First part of the day was successfully achieved, Train, cheese and bus to Buckfast. At Buckfast, interest in the abbey was somewhat overshadowed by the Monastic Produce Shop.

This basically sold home brewed concoctions that would normally only be used to power world record attempts across the Arizona Salt flats. In the end, I went to the lower end of the scale, some 15% fortified wine and bottles of imported Konig Ludwig Weissbier.

With purchases made, I went and got the service bus from the stop in the monastery car park. The car park has a separate exit onto the main road for the buses and this is when the fun started. When we turned onto the main road, we were greeted with this.

The road lined with people on each side and a motorcycle policeman frantically flagging us down. What had happened was that we had inadvertently gate crashed the tour of Briatin. The police had closed off all the turnings onto the main road, but were unaware of this slip road. By now the gate had come across behind the bus, so it couldn’t reverse, so we were sat straddling half the road. At this point also, there was lots of shouting and a couple of cars with bikes on their roofs shot by; the race was just about to descend on us. There was no option but to leave the bus where it was and it became an unexpected chicane to the riders. The bus driver took it all in his stride. He turned off the engine, rolled up a fag, opened up the doors and watched the race sat on the front step having a smoke. Ceasing an opportunity, I joined him, swigging from my recently acquired bottle of Buckie. As you can see, this gave a cracking view.

Not so lucky were the spectators who had been in situ for four hours in their own vantage point, only to have their view completely blocked by a Stagecoach Scania.

Once all the riders had passed, we were allowed to continue, by now 45 mins late and me well into the Buckfast.
                                    I arrived at the ground absolutely hammered, and headed to the seclusion of the far end, where the unexpected luxury of the local petanque club gave me somewhere to violently vomment, and bury the evidence.

That is what the Tour of Britain means to me.

Comment

I think this is my favourite ever OTF post.

Comment

I don't know if BB&F knows how much this stuff is appreciated.

Comment

Yeah, that's just superb. Seriously, BB&F!, get it all in a book.

For me it's a combination of things. Seeing a top race in this fantastic sport going around towns and places we know. The fact that anyone can go and see it, and the buzz around cycling it now generates. The improvements to the parcours, which now favour all rounders rather than winning it almost through luck/default.

And with the race at 2.HC level now, the coming together of some different cycling worlds - the elite British teams who we've seen in domestic action in the Tour Series and the Road Series etc, top Pro teams who have been competing in the biggest races across the world, and the development team of future talent. It's a brilliant mix.

Comment

I have a vague memory of seeing a bus in the middle of the road on a Devon stage once, I assume that was the same incident BB&F describes.

Comment

La Lanterne Rouge wrote: I don't know if BB&F knows how much this stuff is appreciated.
                                              We generally try and make sure he does on the "matchgoing" threads in Football so I hope so.

One of the problems is that after reading them you are often slack-jawed and awestruck at their quality. To try and write the next post, even one just praising his, seems like the height of temerity and redundancy.

Comment

Not a surprise but good to have it confirmed: Movistar announce that both Quintana and Valverde will start the Vuelta.

The downside of course is not getting to see Nairo at the ToB:

Comment

Perhaps surprisingly, Froome has just confirmed he's riding the Vuelta. So, bar Contador, more or less a rerun of the Tour in prospect then.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X