They're all on drugs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They're all on drugs.

Here is the thread for people who have nothing else to say about cycling except that they are all on drugs to discuss cycling on.

They're all on drugs.

I thought this was going to be about athletics.

Comment

They're all on drugs.

Nah, that's just Mo Farah.

Comment

They're all on drugs.

Can we talk about athletes on drugs in other sporting disciplines in here, or is that another thread ?

Comment

They're all on drugs.

Diable Rouge wrote: Nah, that's just Mo Farah.
          Can't tell if trolling, or...

So, DR, I presume you think that all football matches are fixed, yes?

Comment

They're all on drugs.

Anyhoo

Major League Baseball

American Football

National Basketball Association

Surnames starting with the letter A

Comment

They're all on drugs.

Kevchenko wrote:
              Originally posted by Diable Rouge
              Nah, that's just Mo Farah.
              Can't tell if trolling, or...

So, DR, I presume you think that all football matches are fixed, yes?
              Slight trolling, but was convenient he happened to be out three times in a row.

Comment

They're all on drugs.

Actually it was the word "just" that I was querying, given that you presume it's "all" cyclists.

Comment

They're all on drugs.

Anyone who chooses to cycle to work along the A396 must be on something. (Winky thing)

Comment

They're all on drugs.

Everyone now hates Armstrong but Bjarne Riis is clearly a knob as well: http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/cycling/33239760

Classic TdF moment though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFzteK_y1b4

Comment

They're all on drugs.

Diable Rouge wrote: Nah, that's just Mo Farah.
                      So far he's just tainted by association and those awful Quorn commercials, the real problem is people like FUCKING JUSTIN FUCKING GATLIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

They're all on drugs.

Well, there was the "I didn't hear the doorbell" incident.

DR, you said three. I'm only aware of two. Was there another?

Comment

They're all on drugs.

The "I didn't hear the doorbell" excuse is in the ha'penny place compared to Serena Williams' terrified sprint to lock herself in the panic room.

Comment

They're all on drugs.

I thought the panic room defence was the New York Times Style section-approved upscale alternative to the Tyler Hamilton and wife hiding under the divan gambit.

Comment

They're all on drugs.

If I've learned anything from the British media down the years, it's that British sportspeople are never on drugs, ever, and if there's some clenbuterol in their system it's entirely down to an unfortunate kebab they ate. And they have all, all, been cheated out of their legitimate successes by the underhand cheaty drug taking behaviour of the dirty foreign competitors.

Comment

They're all on drugs.

I've been considering starting a catch-all PEDs thread for a while, instead of dragging down ones on individual sports. Maybe with slightly less agression than TT started this one, but I'm happy it is here.

However, TT can't really expect the Tour de france thread to be devoid of drug references, or a great big cloud of suspicion. Not when it is named after, and the favourite to win the race, is a man with a very dodgy reputation.

Cycling has got years, probably decades to go before anyone but it's fanboys thinks they are not all cheating. Doping is too successful in cycling for it to be otherwise. That Johnny Vaughters article that talks in metaphor springs to mind.

The authorities simply can't win, because however big they make the risk, if that drives people back to the legal side of the line it simply amplifies the rewards for those willing to gamble. Which, if they get away with, makes the risks appear overstated, so the line gets crossed more and more. Anti-doping is neccesarily reactive, so dopers with a new technique or substance will always get away with it for a while.

Not that cycling is alone in this - any directly phyiscal sport, where training performance is measured in things like VOmax, must always be on a permanent state of red alert. So see also Swimming, Athletics, Cross Country Skiing and some others. Results and performances in those can never be fully trusted.

Comment

They're all on drugs.

A mere point of order: the favourite for the race is actually Chris Froome.

Comment

They're all on drugs.

If I've learned anything from the British media down the years, it's that British sportspeople are never on drugs, ever, and if there's some clenbuterol in their system it's entirely down to an unfortunate kebab they ate. And they have all, all, been cheated out of their legitimate successes by the underhand cheaty drug taking behaviour of the dirty foreign competitors.
                                    Isn't this a truth of general application to all British "competitors" whether they be in sport, business or the arts?

Janik, where is your line for "they are all cheating"? 50%? 80%? I don't consider myself a fanboy at all, but I would be shocked if the number approached 100% in anything but "bodybuilding".

Comment

They're all on drugs.

Before someone else says it, Tennis is also a red alert sport at the moment. I think it should be a yellow alert one as being fitter and stronger is not a guarenteed route to victory, but it has dreadful conflicts of interest that are another key element in a sport getting into a real mess (again, cycling is the sine qua non, i.e. Armstrong et al).

Comment

They're all on drugs.

ursus arctos wrote: Janik, where is your line for "they are all cheating"? 50%? 80%? I don't consider myself a fanboy at all, but I would be shocked if the number approached 100% in anything but "bodybuilding".
                                        All of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time?

Currently I can't look at a single cyclist or athlete and really, truly feel "She is doing this clean". Probability says some will be being unfairly tarred by it, but determining who is so difficult as to feel like a pointless endeavour.

Comment

They're all on drugs.

Kevchenko wrote: A mere point of order: the favourite for the race is actually Chris Froome.
                                          In fairness, I'm not sure how much this contradicts what Janik said...

Comment

They're all on drugs.

Cycling has shown a few signs of going backwards this season actually - there have been a few more dubious results than in the last couple of years. One race in particular had an especially laughable winner.

Is it just the British media who assume all our competitors are clean? There was serious discussion on OTF a while back about a long retired British sportsperson (not a cyclist) whose career trajectory we would likely link to being a pesky cheating foreigner were it not for their origins.

Comment

They're all on drugs.

That's sad.

And I really can't believe that it is right, unless your conception of "all" is limited to those at the very top of the world rankings who benefit from personalised professional training regimes.

And even then, I would be willing to be you that there are IMG tennis players who are clean.

We went through all of this in baseball a decade ago, and while the assumptions of many were similar, there has never been any evidence to support them.

Comment

They're all on drugs.

La Lanterne Rouge wrote:
                                                Originally posted by Kevchenko
                                                A mere point of order: the favourite for the race is actually Chris Froome.
                                                In fairness, I'm not sure how much this contradicts what Janik said...
                                                He isn't in the thread title, though.

As previously, it is going to be a long, long while before the leading cyclists are not tagged in this manner. Simply becoming one is nearly grounds enough, given the overall jaundiced view of the sport. See also Team Sky in general and Wiggins, B. in particular, whose reputations are only gleaming and utterly without shadow in the British media.

Comment

They're all on drugs.

Janik wrote:

However, TT can't really expect the Tour de france thread to be devoid of drug references, or a great big cloud of suspicion.
                                                  Indeed, no. But there are sensible discussions based on evidence and events, which are part of any decently thorough treatment of the race, and there are people gumming up the thread by writing literally nothing more substantive than "...they'reallondrugsthey'reallondrugsthey'reallon drugsthey'reallondrugsthey'reallondrugs..."

Comment

Working...
                                                  X