Qualification for the Olympics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The qualification for the Olympics seems incredibly unfair.

In swimming you can be the third best in the world but not qualify due to your country (usually USA) having the thre best swimmers in the world. The limit for Athletics is three from one country in any one event. It seems to be the most generous but in some events (e.g. long distance running) Kenyans or Ethopians could have the top 10 athletes between them.

In female weightlifting Chinese women are supreme. However, there are 7 weight classifications. A NOC can only enter 4 women across the 7 events. China has three women sitting at home who would be realistic gold medal contenders who can't compete. That's to say nothing of women who would be competing for medals if they allowed 2 or 3 from each country.

In boxing, it's only 1 fighter for each weight division from each country.

Why is there not a system that the Top 25 or whatever qualifies for each event regardless of nationality?

In swimming, the US sends the top two finishers in the trials for each event.

Comment

Yes but in most events the US will have more than 2 of the Top Ten in the world. Sometimes they even have the Top 3 in the World. I think it's unfair that you can be in the Top 10 in the world but not make the Olympics.

Comment

I think the swimming one is a little harsh, that in many instances the world's third best is not participating. Limiting things to 3 participants per country per event is reasonable enough, though. How would relay events be treated, I wonder? In some of those, the American "B" team, if they entered separately, would comfortably win a medal - even silver - ahead of the next best country, and I wouldn't be surprised if it might even be possible for them to pick 3 relay teams by spreading the best swimmers around and win all 3 medals.

I don't know why the starting field for some events (like the Men's 100 metres) seems to include about 100 athletes, while in others, olympic qulifying has already limited the field to only 8 finalists (like in the diving). I suppose it's whether they can sell tickets to "qualifying rounds" during the Olympics itself - the advantage the track and field has is that there are normaly 2 or 3 events going on in the stadium concurrently (one on the track, one on the field and one jumping event) so there's always something for people to turn up and watch.

Comment

Working...
        X