No announcement yet.

Pound-for-pound, dollar-for-dollar: Boxing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is, remarkably, a PPV. Only two fights announced so far; besides Fury vs. Chisora, its Daniel Dubois fighting a relatively unheralded South African dude that only recently moved up from cruiserweight. I don't think the card is going to get anymore exciting either...

Comment

Don't commentators also keep score using cards?

Comment

Satchmo, if I read you correctly, you're correct that the three judges for a fight keep score using cards. For some reason, the sum total of fights on the night is also referred to as the card. I guess the ring girls/boys also hold up cards, too, but let's not go there.

Comment

https://twitter.com/idboxingnews/status/1585309199659323392

Comment

Wonderful win for Bivol last might. Elite level skills. I thought Ramirez might be able to give him some serious trouble but he was just hypnotised into inactivity.

Fighter of the year, no doubt.

Comment

The Conor Benn thing... I mean, there has been no meaningful sign of him wanting to clear his name so far. Everything coming from him and Hearn is pure disinformation thus far, and someone needs to take his phone off him to stop posting quotes alluding to Martin Luther King's struggle.

Comment

Is boxing fucked? Just listened to the White- Franklin fight. Its bloody obvious who won, and it was bloody obvious what the result would be.

Eddie Hearn is a pestilence. He is the one who stops match ups in his desperate attempt to dictate the agenda and protect the liquidity of his failing assets.

No one is prepared to stand up to him and call him to account. Least of all the BBC.

Comment

I'm late to this but whilst I also feel like Whyte got some real home cooking on a couple of the cards, it sadly is not a horrendous robbery by the standards of UK boxing. It pisses me off because it was a popular cliche about British fighters not getting decisions overseas (Germany in particular if I recall) but the UK has been just as bad. The only silver lining for Franklin is that he can cash in that performance into a fight with another 'name' looking to make his way up the ladder like Dubois, Wardley or Hrgovic.
                  Last edited by big dog; 03-12-2022, 21:24.

Comment

I thought Franklin won well, although I’ve heard a few people making the case for Whyte. I wouldn’t call it a robbery but he had a lucky escape. He looked absolutely dreadful. Joshua should take care of him in their rematch.

It was heartening and more than a little surprising to see Josh Kelly finally rise to the occasion last night to win the British super welter title. He looked razor sharp.

And it’s the big trilogy tonight. Chocolatito versus Estrada. I can’t imagine it’s as good as the last fight where they threw 2500 punches, but those two are never in a bad fight.

Comment

That Fury vs. Chisora was fine as a tune-up but should have been waved off by the third. Fury toyed with Chisora and probably would have carried him all the way to the end, albeit with another 15-20 head shots along the way, had the ref not stopped it.

To be honest, the real villain here is Chisora's corner; I get that they've been together since he turned pro and they didn't want to throw in the towel for what (hopefully) is their man's final fight but you've got to take care of your fighter. Chisora couldn't walk properly, see straight and also seemed confused when he was in his corner between rounds. Really, really bad stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
                        Chocolatito versus Estrada. I can’t imagine it’s as good as the last fight where they threw 2500 punches, but those two are never in a bad fight.
                        So pumped for this. Should be a great fight; not too many fights left for Chocolatito so I'm going to lap that stuff up.

Comment

I avoided Chisora, but that's as grim as I feared. Wow.

Chocolatito looked absolutely sensational versus Julia Cesar Martinez. His economy of movement is just amazing: the way he extends his punches and they arrive on the opponent with no backlift or swinging or loading up. It's just poetry in motion.

big dog, I don't know if you know Lee Wylie's YouTube videos, he's done one called Roman "Chocolatito" Gonzalez: High-Speed Chess which is five minutes of balletic beauty.

Comment

Originally posted by Logan Mountstuart View Post
                            Eddie Hearn is a pestilence. He is the one who stops match ups in his desperate attempt to dictate the agenda and protect the liquidity of his failing assets.

No one is prepared to stand up to him and call him to account. Least of all the BBC.
                            FWIW, the Americans don't seem to think very highly of Hearn. Bob Arum, as recently, as yesterday was giving him both barrels in media interviews. Obviously its not going to get to the level of the BBC and the Steve Bunce-tier of pundits but some of the smaller independent British outlets will speak up too.

Comment

Tough loss for Chocolatito, who looked a little lost in the beginning. Had it as a draw personally but Estrada banked so many of the early rounds and then held his nerve in R12 so it is a fair result. A fourth fight is fine; Chocolatito pretty much said if the money's good, he'll be there but I'd also get it if Estrada tried to unify with one of the other champions.

https://twitter.com/JakeNDaBox/status/1599268871969869824

Comment

Great little line-up for the Teofimo Lopez vs. Sandor Martin fight tonight. They filled out the undercard with some pretty exciting young guys but the one to watch was Jarred Anderson. He's a 23 year old HW and still got time to work on his stuff because Usyk and Fury have a couple more years at the top-- but his last couple of fights have been impressive. With the exception of Daniel Dubois, I can't think of another young HW that is this exciting (and I think Anderson is the better long-term prospect).

Lopez and Martin fight was actually a little sad even if Lopez got the win. I thought Lopez was going to be the real deal after the Loma win but he's a textbook example of why you don't let your dad be your coach or let your family manage your affairs.

The poor dude was basically in tears leaving the ring and asking out loud if he's still got it. He's still only 25 but has been open about his mental health issues and drama with his family and/or wife. Its tough to see a dude with talent like that get pulled off-track by the people he loves. I hope he gets some good professionals around him soon because he's going to get schooled by the other big names at 140lbs.

Comment

Good weekend of boxing. I think Bakhodir Jalolov will be a coming force in the heavyweight division, and he's still a relative novice (28 years old) in heavyweight terms, but I hadn't realised Anderson was quite so young. He's got a bright future indeed.

Wow, I hadn't heard about the post-fight dramas with Lopez, I'd just heard it was a boring fight, although Martin I think had a fairly decent showing. It really is worrying with Lopez. There were strong rumours before the Kambosos fight that he had somehow frittered away so much money he could not afford a nutritionist. His dad really is such a monumental prick it's untrue. I can't remember anything so sad in a boxing ring recently as the Kambosos fight, when Lopez senior would not even be ready with a stool and kept his son waiting after walking wearily back to the corner after another gruelling round.

Any thoughts on the Warrington fight? I like Josh a lot, but I thought the referring was atrocious with ignoring the constant headbutts. Who would want to fight Warrington now he doesn't have a belt? Maybe Leigh Wood would give it a go in a North of England stadium PPV.

Comment

The thing with Anderson was just how brutal he was. I hate to use the comparison but the way he destroyed a proper gatekeeper/journeyman who'd taken a number of fringe world-level contenders to the scorecards was Tyson-esqe. He's farcically young for a HW and they don't need to rush him but every fight going forward is must-watch for me.

It honestly makes me sad thinking about that situation with Lopez family-- the ESPN article from back in the day was what did it for me-- but I just hope Lopez Jr. gets help before his dad gets him seriously hurt when he's inevitably matched up with Davis, Garcia, Prograis or a Josh Taylor.

Not sure where Warrington goes. Full disclosure; I missed the fight because I was a couple of timezones out of the loop but it sounds like he deserved to lose. I saw that Wood was very open to a fight but he also literally just got moved up to full world champion by the WBA today so Wood needs to be smart and get himself a lucrative title defense or a unification bout in the States. I guess that leaves Warrington in a pickle-- maybe he fights Michael Conlan or rematches Kid Gallahad? Either of those would be wild but I don't know if any of those guys would want to take the risk of another loss in a non-title fight.
                                    Last edited by big dog; 13-12-2022, 06:30.

Comment

That ESPN story is a harrowing rollercoaster

Comment

https://twitter.com/arejaywoof/status/1607444166778277888

Comment

No sympathy, 10 seconds on Google would let him know what a cnut his buddy is.

Comment

Oh, absolutely. It is nice when there are actual consequences for this stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                                              No sympathy, 10 seconds on Google would let him know what a cnut his buddy is.
                                              That wouldn't bother Fury, given he's a cunt himself.

Comment

It’s amusing to see boxers like Fury and Sunny Edwards getting bitten in the arse for their years of low-level cheerleading of gang bosses.

The last few months of this year have been a disappointment indeed, after a great start to 2022. The Fury-Chisora farce, the Spence-Crawford saga. And in the last few weeks, Jermell Charlo has paid the price for scheduling a title fight against Tim Tszyu six months in advance, by breaking his hand and postponing it; and Gervonta Davis has just been arrested on domestic violence charges before a possible fight against Ryan Garcia next year. Typical boxing.

Comment

A few awards from me:

Fight of the year: Leigh Wood versus Michael Conlan. A close call with Taylor-Serrano but the fight in Nottingham was an all-time classic, not quite Castillo-Corrales, but in the same ballpark given the incredible reversals and surprises in those 12 rounds. Great "Mull Of Kintyre" ringwalk too

Fighter of the year: has to be Dmitry Bivol. I chickened out by not backing him against Canelo when I should have done, but defending his world title against an all-time great smaller man and an undefeated borderline heavyweight has given him a stunning resume. Bivol is, in his own way, my most aesthetically pleasing fighter to watch since Lomachenko.

KO of the year: some stiff competition from Jordan Gill on Karim Guerfi, but it has to be Joe Cordina's perfect shot against Kenichi Ogawa. A one punch knockout that came out of nowhere, and he will surely never throw a better shot.

Upset of the year: not many this year, and it would feel disrespectful to choose an elite light heavyweight like Dmitry Bivol beating Canelo, despite the wide odds. It seems Jai Opetaia's upset against cruiserweight boogeyman Maris Breidis, where he fought on with a broken jaw, has gone under the radar, and it's another great recent highlight for boxing in Australia.

Corner work: tough call between Shane McGuigan gettting Daniel Dubois out of a crisis when he broke he ACL against Kevin Lerena, but I think it has to be Dave Coldwell directing Jordan Gill's last stand against the ropes against Karim Guerfi, despite some reservations that it should have been stopped when Gill was losing his balance

Robbery: Jack Catterall was denied a life-changing win against Josh Taylor

Event: Katie Taylor versus Amanda Serrano packed out Madison Square Gardens and was one of the best fights I've ever seen

Performance: Clarissa Shields started with a Beyoncé ringwalk and ended with her running rings round a dangerous Savannah Marshall. Nice respect between Marshall and the GWOAT afterwards

Round: it has to be round ten of the epic fight between Katie Taylor and Amanda Serrano, when the pair of them threw more punches in the last ten seconds than many do in an entire round. Taylor's knee was inches from touching the canvas, but she kept on throwing.

Comment

Wood Lara is back on! In February, about six weeks or so away. Harbinger, this is your harbinger of a hell of a fight.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X