No announcement yet.

Pound-for-pound, dollar-for-dollar: Boxing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Katie Taylor just about holds on to her world title after a 96-94, 96-95, 96-95 victory over her old Olympic rival, Natasha Jonas - seems to have been the final two rounds that sealed the decision, but would hardly suffice in a bout with Amanda Serrano.

Comment

Tremendous fight that, a rematch would be welcome.

Comment

I thought that the fight was an indirect advert for three-minute rounds at the top end at least of women's boxing. Each round was simply too short.

Comment

I thought that the fight was an indirect advert for three-minute rounds at the top end at least of women's boxing. Each round was simply too short.
          Yes, that's a much-contested issue. It does feel like a two minute round is a frantic sprint, and ultimately a problem is that two minutes is way easier for a fighter to get through if they need to just see the bell than a three minute round – there feels a lot less opportunity for opportunities to develop a decisive opening.

Advocates of three minute rounds point to the increased opportunities for stoppages, which might be deemed desirable for sporting, entertainment and even marketing purposes. And you could point to UFC, which I think has had three minute rounds to women for several years and apparently little problems – from what I hear.

But, every so often, a bit of evidence creeps out that concussion in women is maybe more prevalent in contact sports than with men. And so, there are reasons for caution when it comes to extending the length of rounds, so it might well stay the same for a good long while yet.

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...droidApp_Other

This is an excellent piece of writing imho.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post

This is an excellent piece of writing imho.

This looks excellent - "On the rare evenings when he returned late, his hair plastered to his head with sweat, his face was a red light meaning “don’t ask”.". I subscribe to the Guardian Long Read audio version, so I'm saving it for when it comes on stream.

Comment

Thanks for that piece, that was a great read. It's a rare long read that actually should have been much longer.

It's going to be quite an event this weekend with apparently 70,000 in attendance as Canelo takes on Billy Joe Saunders in Texas. Saunders is a superb fighter, but Canelo is elite.

It's an odd feeling to support Canelo, like wanting Chelsea to win the Champion's League, but I hope Canelo takes him to school on Saturday night.

Comment

Even if Saunders fights a beautiful, back foot masterclass against Canelo, he will still lose. He won't do enough damage to make the judges change their score at the start of every round, which is Canelo 10 points.

I don't think that will happen anyway. Canelo looks to be a supreme boxer these days, more so than ever. It's hard to see him losing to anyone for a few years to come.

Comment

Saunders doesn't seem to be a particularly nice person. I hope he loses.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                      Saunders doesn't seem to be a particularly nice person. I hope he loses.

A few things in here which support that.

Comment

He’s a terrible person who has had more than enough second chances.

Comment

Saunders really isn't a nice person. Canelo isn't flawless but has never dodged anyone. Seems pretty simple to me who I should support.

Comment

Half way through, it's tight, Saunders hasn't won any big rounds, but has edged several, and is messing with Canelo's mind a bit here

Comment

And with that Saunders retires or the towel is thrown in. I'm not sure he recovered from some furious shots in the eighth from Canelo. Good fight.

Comment

I had that fight 4-4 after the eighth, that was tight. Saunders's corner stopped it. I think they must have decided Saunders was no longer with it. Saunders might have had a broken orbital bone.

Canelo's ringwalk was really spectacular with Pepe Aguilar, two other vocalists, dancers and a mariachi band. Great colours.

Comment

https://twitter.com/mirrorfighting/status/1391244249077854213

Comment

Eddie Hearn hinting at some sort of big announcement next week.

Comment

Those scorecards were harsh. Saunders won at least three rounds, although he edged them while Canelo bossed his. Interesting fight.

Comment

Saunders reportedly on his way to hospital for evaluation of possible facial or cranial fractures

Comment

https://twitter.com/mikecoppinger/status/1391425601404293120

Comment

No shame in his corner throwing in the towel then

Another couple of things to add to the Saunders charge sheet are abusing some Mexican journalists in fight week a few days ago, and his sexist and patronising cheerleading for Daniel Kinahan to an Irish investigative reporter a couple of months ago

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ahan-interview

Comment

It must be quite the fight to put Joshua - Fury on the undercard.

I'm calling it for Saudi Arabia in two rounds.

Comment

Saudi Arabia would certainly bring some dark arts to the table.

Comment

#PacquiaoSpence has just been announced for August. A final shot at GOAT status for Manny.

Comment

Not sure if anyone is going to be watching the Lomachenko fight tonight/early hours of tomorrow morning but it should be a good one. Beautiful, swaggering fighter in his pomp but I'm curious to see how he rebounds after the Lopez loss. He should get through Nakatani but everyone will be watching to see how emphatic the performance is.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X