No announcement yet.

Pound-for-pound, dollar-for-dollar: Boxing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OMG Povetkin one punch and Whyte is down.

Comment

And that Dillian, is when you go thinking about the fight after rather than concentrating on the one in hand. Farewell to a very average fighter who made a profession of being in the right placea at the right time but ultimately came up well short of anything approaching decent

Comment

Proper Rocky stuff, Povetkin looked like an old man in there and Whyte was simply toying with him. But Povetkin got just one opening and he's probably never thrown a sweeter punch.

Comment

What can I say, nmr, I'm a bit of a Dillian Whyte fan these days. He's unorthodox and a bit sloppy but I think he's got good ring IQ and he's improved so much through the pro ranks, for instance with that stiff jab. He gave Povetkin the chance to throw an absolute dream of a punch, though, which I suppose is pretty goddamn stupid. Maybe, this make a Wilder-Whyte match-up more likely. That'd be a very exciting match-up.

You could have got odds of about 25/1 on Povetkin KO in the first four (sometimes five) rounds. I thought that looked kind of good, as Whyte has been down several times, and with Povektin's age, that was the only way he could have won it. But I would have missed it by a round anyway so glad I didn't.

That was spectacular. Hilarious moment at the end when they show Anthony Joshua "lost for words" and he was clearly just laughing his ass off at Whyte's expense. Let's hope Dillian is OK.

Last edited by diggedy derek; 22-08-2020, 23:17.

Comment

The Taylor Persoon fight was another absolute classic, for sure. Controversy, I don't know, Persoon was causing Taylor all sorts of problems again, but was extremely battered and bruised at the end, and she accepted the result this time. A lot of Persoon's work is so sloppy I can see why judges would give rounds to Taylor.
            Last edited by diggedy derek; 22-08-2020, 23:23.

Comment

Should probably mark Alan Minter's passing as he was local to me.

The Hagler fight was one of the grimmest spectacles I've ever seen.

Comment

RIP, a long battle with cancer apparently.

Comment

Bugger.

Comment

Who's planning to watch some fights in the coming few weeks? There's some seriously impressive match-ups coming. Just in this month, Lomachenko - Lopez, Usyk - Chisora, Davis - Santa Cruz. Naoya Inoue in action, and loads more I've forgotten I'm sure. Moving closer towards the end of the year, there's Joyce - Dubois finally, Campbell - Garcia, and presumably Frampton - Herring confirmed.

Pretty much none of the above are forgone conclusions. And that's before counting Fury fighting probably someone, Povetkin - Whyte again, and some other heavyweight manoeuvres. It's pretty exciting, almost enough to make you forget a load of excellent boxers who are basically sitting on their arse for reasons of politics, legal stuff, self-interest, etc: Canelo, Callum Smith, Billy Joe Saunders.

There's no doubt the Lomachenko Lopez fight this coming weekend is the top level fight of the season. The two best at Lightweight to become undisputed champion. Oddly, the one I'm looking forward to also at Lightweight is Campbell - Garcia. Luke Campbell was very good (just not elite) against Lomachenko, and it's a bit of a mystery why the up and coming young contender Garcia is having a crack at him – it's a dangerous fight, which is what makes it interesting.

Comment

The press conference was interesting with Lomachenko subjecting Lopez to a death stare which Lopez couldn't meet. The former was supremely confident, the latter seemed nervous. There's been some various nonsense about Lomachenko disrespecting Lopez's trainer father when the latter drunkenly accosted him in a hotel lobby which adds a handy bit of narrative around it in the absence of a crowd.

I'm picking Lomachenko by stoppage. Lopez I don't think will want to stop throwing for pride reasons, and against Lomachenko that can end in a TKO or a retirement as the opponent gets comprehensively outboxed. I also still think Lomachenko has some other gears to go through, as he showed against Campbell, where he won the last two minutes of almost every round. He has this ability to just nudge the accelerator a touch more.

Comment

Who is showing the fight in the UK, Derek?

Comment

No-one. Well, the official answer is little known to me streaming site Fite TV, who are doing online streaming for ten pounds. I'll be giving that a spin. But Sky and BT both passed up on it, for reasons that aren't exactly clear. I suppose they have their own projects they need to give 100% focus to.

Comment

Another exciting fight I forgot above is Terrence Crawford versus Kell Brook. Crawford will be an overwhelming favourite, but it's nice to see it happen, and if Kell Brook gets a decent payday, good luck to him.

Comment

Well, that was pretty sensational by Lopez, who becomes I think the youngest ever (23) undisputed champion of the four belt era. Lopez just was too big and strong and good enough in every department to push Lomachenko around the ring and get him on his back foot, which has never happened before (save a few rounds of his second ever fight). Lopez looks scarily tough for a lightweight. It was a decent fight at a very high level, although Lomachenko was a little disappointing as he had no plan B and took a long time to take the fight to Lopez. But I guess that's what you expect where someone's whole training and career and upbringing (skill, footwork, supreme fitness) is their plan A.

New York has their first bona fide boxing superstar in a while also. Lopez is the archetypal loudmouth but it must be said he has quite a good T-shirt game.

Comment

That fight exposed Lomachenko as the overrated boxer many suspected he was. As good and skilled as he is, he is a level below the likes of Mayweather and Pacquiao.

Looking at his fights at lightweight, it is clear his ability to dominate opponents have diminished as he has moved up weights and class of opponent and he lacks the ring craft to keep bigger and stronger opponents off him.
                                Lopez managed to time his movements from the first round and was able to counteract it. By the time Lomachenko worked him out, he had lost at least 6 of the first 7 rounds and was seeking a knockdown or knockout to win. By round 9 Lopez only needed to stay on his feet for the rest of the fight to win.

Comment

Usyk versus Chisora tonight. this will be fun and unpredictable while it lasts, which I hope is a fair while, because the rest of the thin bill is falling apart in farcical circumstances through Covid and contractual disputes (with Don King, who is apparently still a thing).

I love Usyk, he's phenomenal - so graceful for a big guy, and he's humiliated and danced his way to victory over previously impressive fighters. I just hope he hasn't left the move to heavyweight too late. I think he might stop Chisora late.

I'm also looking forward to Naoya Inoue this weekend, another pound for pound great in action.

Another big clash, Davis Santa Crus, is live on Channel 5 this weekend, as they swooped late to get it.

Comment

Chisora's speech after losing on points to Usyk ("it's a difficult time... stay safe and don't be depressed... be kind to one another... we're all struggling right now") was considerably better than Boris Johnson's yesterday.

Comment

Fights falling through:

Povetkin vs Whyte (Povetkin, Covid)
                                      Campbell vs Garcia (Campbell, Covid)

Savannah Marshall vs Hannah Rankin was postponed once because of trainer Peter Fury testing positive but has since been restaged. But, boxing especially in the UK is stuttering right now, with already average cards becoming even more dreary.

Comment

Katie Taylor's fight on Saturday will be broadcast free on Sky Sports' website and YouTube channel.

Comment

Yep, that's great news. Taylor is always worth watching.

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
                                            Chisora's speech after losing on points to Usyk ("it's a difficult time... stay safe and don't be depressed... be kind to one another... we're all struggling right now") was considerably better than Boris Johnson's yesterday.
                                            I saw the fight, Usyk did not look ready to take on any of the top 10 Heavyweights let alone the top five.

He was bullied by Chisora until he ran out of gas in the 4th round and still didn't have the power to put him away after that. Even more worrying is that he got hit way too much for my liking (something I noticed in the early Rounds of the Bellew fight).
                                            He cannot afford to let the likes of Joshua, Ruiz, Wilder or Povetkin hit him that cleanly. And seeing Chisora walk through his punches is a massive worry. I can see him going the way of Lomachenko.

Comment

I definitely agree Usyk looked in panic and even in distress in the first few rounds. The really big heavyweights would not be intimidated, and yes got hit a fair bit too. The Maris Breidis fight is an interesting rewatch, that was I think a very close fight, and Breidis put it on Usyk for the first few rounds with a home crowd.

Hoping that the news that Callum Smith will fight Canelo in December comes to pass.

Comment

Some of those slo-mos of Katie Taylor throwing combinations looked like it was being played at normal speed.
                                                Last edited by diggedy derek; 14-11-2020, 23:35.

Comment

You do wonder how one of the judges gave Gutierrez a round, she was game, but well out of her depth.

Comment

Found this analysis of the first Foreman - Frazier bout via The Guardian. It concentrates mainly on the first round and though I suppose it's old news to the real experts here what was knew to me is how effective Foreman's defensive qualities were, as well as, according to the commentary, his "highly underrated lateral movement". His jabs weren't bad, either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11e2POq3INs

Comment

Working...
                                                    X