No announcement yet.

Pound-for-pound, dollar-for-dollar: Boxing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does Tyson still deny the rape? If so, the "candour" is selective.

Comment

Joshua and Fury have supposedly reached some kind of two fight deal to fight sometime somewhere

it'll be a biggie when and if it happens

maybe you'd get a chance to see them at Tottenham TG?
      Last edited by diggedy derek; 10-06-2020, 17:17.

Comment

This is being brokered by the Irish guy who would have been described as "very well connected" in my neighbourhood, isn't it?

Comment

And being reported on with bemusement/disbelief by the various Irish crime correspondents.

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
            Tyson and Fury
            Umm, am I missing something here derek, or...?

Comment

Cue clich? about Fury picking a fight with himself in an empty room.

Comment

I've fixed my fuck-up above, sorry about that.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                  And being reported on with bemusement/disbelief by the various Irish crime correspondents.
                  This is one of the most outlandish instances of "sportswashing" that I have ever seen, which is saying something

Comment

In reggae parlance, he would be described as a well-respected member of the community. I think he's been a big mover with MTK for a long time though
                    Last edited by diggedy derek; 10-06-2020, 17:52.

Comment

Contact has been made between the Irish government and that of the UAE.

Comment

Originally posted by Cesar Rodriguez
                        Finished Sugar Ray Leonard's book and now reading one on Sonny Liston, which is shaping up to be the best of the bunch.

Sugar Ray's was a good one and it was interesting to compare and contrast his life with that of Duran and Tyson. He had the same problems as Duran and Tyson in terms of drugs, alcohol and promiscuity. There were just a few key distinctions that I think gave him a better outcome in his life:

1. He had much better management. His handler was a non boxing guy whose name was Mike Trainer and he was not a crook or a scumbag, he always had Leonard's back and never screwed him over financially.
                        2. His family situation was a tad better than both Duran and Tyson. Although he says that his Dad was never faithful to his mother and that they would argue a tremendous amount he still had a father in his life and he was still raised in a nuclear family. Tyson's Dad was never in his life and his mother was not really an effective parent and Duran also was raised without a father. They were products of the street in a way that Leonard was not.
                        3. He had a better image than Duran or Tyson. He is of course pretty photogenic, well spoken (one of his early trainers had him practice being interviewed so he was comfortable in front of the camera's) and more polished. This meant that even when information came out about his drug taking it was not a big deal and did not scare corporate America away.
                        4. He fought very infrequently in the 1980s. After going pro in 1977 he fought 26 times in the 70s but from 1980-1989 (the age of 23-33) he only fought 12 times, a little more than once per year. So naturally he was not subjecting his body (or brain) to as much trauma as some of his peers.

After I am done with the book on Liston I have a book on Sugar Ray Robinson lined up which looks like it will be great.
                        I was watching the Larry Sanders Show from 1993 yesterday and Sugar Ray Leonard was a guest. Previous year: George Foreman. Ray looked gorgeous and "Larry" said his face looked like his face had never been punched.

Comment

I will have to look at how often Haggler fought during that same period, but certainly Haggler-Leonard-Hearns made up a trio of fighters that were involved in some very exciting fights. Hearns seemed to fight a lot, but that's just my perception.

Tyson also seemed to fight a fair amount, but until Buster Douglas, nobody could touch him. Of course the increased quantity of fights also means an increased amount of sparring, which (even with headgear) has to affect the brain.
                          Last edited by danielmak; 16-06-2020, 01:18.

Comment

Once he had established himself as one of the best fighters on the planet Hagler fought roughly 2-3 times a year until his retirement in 87. As an up and coming boxer in the 70's he seemingly fought at the drop of a hat, but that goes with the territory I suppose. The man was made out of granite - I hope he's in reasonable shape.

Sadly, Tommy Hearns seems to be in declining health going by recent footage.

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post
                              Hearns seemed to fight a lot, but that's just my perception.
                              Between 1977 and 2000, 65 bouts.

https://boxrec.com/en/proboxer/303

Comment

The Bahrain company, KHK, "ends its involvement" with Daniel Kinahan.

Comment

Well, I'm looking forward to the return of boxing, much of it in Eddie Hearn's garden. I think Whyte - Povetkin will be an entertaining match, although Whyte will win easily with Povetkin really ageing in his last few fights.

Just announced for the same event: Katie Taylor vs Delfine Persoon the rematch. Considering the original was one of the most exciting women's fights ever, this is an exciting match-up.

Comment

Boxing's UK return had crowd noise – a very quiet backdrop of lairy-bantery shouts. The Frank Warren boxing card, at BT Sports Studios not far away from me in Stratford, was fairly entertaining though.

Comment

Brain damage in boxers could occur from factors other than volume of fights, anything from excessive sparring, fighting above his natural weight level or carrying on too long. Hearns had his last fight at 47.

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
                                        Boxing's UK return had crowd noise – a very quiet backdrop of lairy-bantery shouts. The Frank Warren boxing card, at BT Sports Studios not far away from me in Stratford, was fairly entertaining though.
                                        Brian Kenny is a US announcer who does MLB baseball studio analysis and boxing ringside commentary. During a baseball studio show last week, they talked about adding crowd noise to baseball games. He said there has been some chatter about the lack of crowd sounds affecting boxers but most of their time is spent training (including sparring), not fighting in front of crowds. So, the boxers are used to quiet fights, soundtracked by trainers and other members of their team.

Comment

“Schamo, motherf_____s!”

https://twitter.com/TheSportSocial/s...352774149?s=20

Comment

The ridiculous Tyson v Jones exhibition bout* has been put back to Nov 28 to enable more time to sort out the TV deals. It's not really boxing news except for the fact that these were great fighters a very long time ago (Tyson's loss to Douglas is 30 years back).

* 8 rounds, rules undecided.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                              The ridiculous Tyson v Jones exhibition bout
                                              This.

Comment

Interesting tweaks have been made, for those following the use of sound in lockdown sports, in some recent fights. The Matchroom Fight Camp series of fights, at Eddie Hearn's family home in Essex, have had no crowd noise in recent match-ups. You can hear almost every word said in the corners – indeed, sometimes trainers try (usually fail) to snatch a private word with their fighter – and this has brought a whole new dimension and narrative to the fights.

Cecilia Braekhus lost her undisputed world titles on Saturday night. She was extraordinarily magnamimous, maybe even relieved in defeat, beaming when the result was read out, and saying she was proud to pass the torch to someone else.

Comment

Well, I'm pretty excited about the Matchroom card tomorrow. Povetkin is classy but looked old against Michael Hunter recently, and made heavy weather of beating the dreary Hughie Fury, so I think Whyte is well placed to win this. The latter is still improving, and was in my opinion impressive against Oscar Rivas.

The Katie Taylor - Delphine Persoon fight at Madison Square Gardens was a total classic, so it's fantastic to see a rematch take place.

Comment

And had an equally controversial finish to the first - looked set to be declared a draw or a narrow Persoon win, but all three judges scored it in favour of Taylor. That said, the Bray boxer was considered more clinical in her punching than the Belgian.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X