No announcement yet.

Pound-for-pound, dollar-for-dollar: Boxing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That was spectacular from Fury. He must now be considered one of the greats. If he beats AJ, he is the best of his era. Joshua is a tougher prospect because he has superior footwork to Wilder.

Comment

Fury walking out (well, being carried out) to Crazy was amazing.

And yes, there is now no other fight this division needs but Fury and Joshua. Cancel Euro 2020 if needs be, get them in a ring at Wembley in June.

Comment

said it would be over in 7

Comment

I'll never doubt Fury again. What an amazing, calculated performance. I doubt Joshua would / will have much chance against him. Joshua is a good fighter, but he's too easy to hurt.

Looks like Spoty is sown up in February, unless England or Wales win the Euros and someone scores a hattrick in the final.

Comment

Not a big fan of Talksport but the fight commentary this morning was great. Listened to it again a couple of hours ago and still got the tingle.

Comment

I love the story for both, and both are heroes in my book, but I honestly have no idea what Wilder could do against that big bomber blood-licking behemoth in the future. Cheat mode stuff. Fury's skills now with knockout power? Jesus.

The only way he should think about a rematch is:

a) to get another 10-digit purse.
              b) do the Evander Holyfield route to Tyson and beat anyone who gets lucky against Fury, then get the rematch.
              c) fight Joshua for a #1 title match, and you know, hope the other Tyson Fury shows up.

Comment

I was mildly intrigued both by the fact that this thread was the whole of my OTF front page this morning and by reading a headline which called Fury "The Gypsy King" to look him up. I assumed his name was some kind of WWF style brand rather than an actual name. When I read the wiki page it was like a Peaky Blinders plot line. Fascinating bloke

Comment

He may have the heaviest punch in boxing - and what a punch it is by the way - but Wilder has always been a poor boxer. His record is shockingly padded with Fury being the only elite level boxer he's faced. After he got lucky with the draw against him in Dec 18, I was amazed he went back for the rematch. I still maintain he only took the first match because he thought Fury was shot after his two poor comeback fights.

Fury has been shockingly underrated throughout his career, but a match with AJ would be a completely different kettle of fish and I really can't call it. Unless the Joshua of the first Ruiz fight turns up of course, in which case Fury knocks him out.

It's the only big fight in boxing now and it simply has to be made to cement either boxers legacy. Sadly, I think if it does go ahead it'll be held in Saudi Arabia, despite the fact they'll be able to sell out Wembley a couple of times over.

Comment

AJ v Tyson is for unified title is a one off but in boxing it'll probably happen in 2022 rather than now.

this would be amazing at Spurs new stadium.

Comment

Deontay Wilder: American blames ring-walk costume for Tyson Fury defeat

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/51623455

And apparently exercising the rematch clause. Discretion should have been the better part of valour here.

Comment

cant really see a rematch catching the imagination as wilder was completely overpowered and made little impression.

Comment

as someone who carries a bag weighing 70lb most days, I am not particularly convinced by this argument (though in my 40 or so years have been in maybe zero fights).

But to claim your entrance theatrics cost you a fight? Wilder + costume = Fury on the canvas. It is an absurd weight mismatch and with Fury ready to go, he was going to struggle.

I thought he might go the eardrum path. That was a way better excuse.

Comment

looking like AJ and Tyson will both have to win in the summer. then hopefully fight on cardiff before end of the year

Comment

With the heavyweights, I'm sure it'll be a case of wait and see if it ever happens. Still, what a run of fights is coming up in that division, with Joyce/Dubois, Whyte/Povetkin, etc.

It seems very likely by all accounts that Canelo will be facing Billy Joe Saunders in Las Vegas. That'll be a hell of a fight, though Canelo an overwhelming favourite. I think you've got to give props to Ben Davison – first taking on Wilder with Fury, and now Canelo with Saunders, both in their back yards. He is not phased by anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                I didn't realise Usyk was the mandatory challenger for Joshua's WBO belt, as their rules deem a champion stepping up in weight is awarded that status.

That could be interesting given his undoubted skill and amateur heavyweight background, albeit quite a few years ago.
                                Chisora v Usyk at the 02 in May. Interested in this if I'm in the country.

Comment

Joyce Dubois in April, Usyk Chisora and Whyte Povetkin in May, Joshua Pulev in Jine. Finally heavyweights are fighting each other, and all these could potentially be in doubt now.

Comment

Originally posted by Cesar Rodriguez
                                    Been binge reading books on boxing, just got done with Roberto Duran's autobiography - all in all a terrible book.
                                    I read 'Hands of Stone' the Duran biography written by Christian Giudice, which at least is written well. Duran comes across as a monumental dick, of course.

Comment

Hey, tell you what, if the fight at Tottenham gets cancelled, Kubrat Pulev could raise a few laughs by walking into the next COBRA meeting, "wait, I thought this meeting was for me!"

As you were.

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/sportingintel/status/1238948424407531522?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Comment

SPOTY betting fucked.

Comment

Well, luckily for Fury his friends at the BBC aren't reporting the story. Strange that.
                                              Last edited by Ray de Galles; 15-03-2020, 12:42.

Comment

Just noticed that Barney Eastwood has died, iirc he fucked Mcguigan over by making him fight Steve Cruz in the afternoon heat in the USA. I also think he ruined Herol Bomber Graham by making him fight southpaw but I could be wrong on that as he was the promoter.

Comment

I can't remember the fight in too much detail but I have a dim memory of Eastwood allowing the fight to drag on several rounds longer than would happen now. Maybe he had money on the round, if not the victor? Cruz was under-rated and it's not impossible that he would have won in normal conditions, but we'll never know. It finished McGuigan as a boxer.

McGuigan is also haunted by an opponent dying after one of his early fights. I have a lot of respect for McGuigan as a person, despite intensely disliking the hype that surrounded him in 1985 (which anticipated what would follow with Frank Bruno).
                                                  Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 15-03-2020, 12:45.

Comment

You could easily copy and paste those last two sentences and post them on the 'Diego Maradona' thread.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X