No announcement yet.

Pound-for-pound, dollar-for-dollar: Boxing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also, fuck fighting in Saudi Arabia again. I was going to a avoid it completely but a friend got the PPV and invited a few of us over, even then the bullshit around the fight about the venue and hosts was pretty nauseating.

Comment

I didn't realise Usyk was the mandatory challenger for Joshua's WBO belt, as their rules deem a champion stepping up in weight is awarded that status.

That could be interesting given his undoubted skill and amateur heavyweight background, albeit quite a few years ago.

Comment

The only photos I've seen of the fight show Ruiz jnr as being rather large, a fatty really, is that true?

Any truth in Joshua's illness claim when you look back at the last fight? Did he really lack energy and look fatigued?

Comment

It's two weeks till Wilder Fury 2, which I'm excited about, after skipping the Joshua fight at the time.

I'm behind Fury these days, his mental health advocacy feels genuine and unforced, his story is remarkable from any angle, and somehow I suspect he wouldn't make the same comments he did previously today.

The wisdom after the first fight was that Fury would get fitter and faster and had the gameplan that Wilder had no answer to. It doesn't feel so simple a year and a bit on, though. Fury was pedestrian against Wallin, and it's concerning that he's changed his trainer, Ben Davison, that he had such a connection with. Wilder's two knockouts last year were truly impressive and there's finally recognition that he's a historically heavy one-punch boxer. Also, I wonder how easy it will be for Fury to reproduce, psychologically, that kind of sustained brilliance from the first fight. I wonder if Fury has less to prove and lack a certain edge. Still, Fury looks glowing with health, and I think it'll be a great fight.

There's a tremendous video BT have put up breaking down the fight, and Ben Davison's analysis of the fight is well worth watching.

Meanwhile, Britain has a brand new world champion, with Terri Harper beating Finland's Eva Wahlstrom at super featherweight.
          Last edited by diggedy derek; 09-02-2020, 13:19.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
            The only photos I've seen of the fight show Ruiz jnr as being rather large, a fatty really, is that true?

Any truth in Joshua's illness claim when you look back at the last fight? Did he really lack energy and look fatigued?
            There was clearly something wrong with Joshua on the night. Looking back he seemed unsteady and drained of energy in previous fights, especially against Carlos Tacam. Ruiz got off the floor to knock Joshua down and he did not previously have a reputation as a concussive puncher. Joshua has been hit by bigger and stronger guys and not reacted in the same way (Whyte, Klitschko and Povetkin).

Comment

Going by the first fight, I think Wilder has the ability to improve more on the showing. It would appear he underestimated Fury's skills ability and dedication the first fight and he extended too much energy looking for the one punch knockout. Which he probably expected pretty early.
              I believe he will work more on his boxing skills and set up the combinations better this time rather than swinging aimlessly. When he knocked down fury in the first fight, they were from good movement and combinations. His other rematches against Steverne and Ortiz shows that he does learn and improve from the first fights.

I hope it's a classic like the first fight. If the same Fury turns up. It will be close. If the behind the scenes stuff has affected his preparation he could get badly hurt.

Comment

No BBC commentary - TalkSport have won the rights.

Comment

You would hope, probably forlornly, that would stop the BBC acting as Fury's personal PR department.

Comment

The pull of the narrative, unfortunately.

TalkSport’s coverage is solid and competent but like the cricket it’s just so goddamn blokey.

Comment

Both of them a stone or so heavier than before.

Comment

Extra weight on Fury may slow him down; extra weight on Wilder will give him more power. Wilder in the 9th.

Comment

extra weight on fury sounded like an excuse. wilder looked formidable on upper torso.

i also think wilder - in 7. hope its a classic thought.

Comment

I really hope Fury wins, but as mentioned above, the really telling statistic for me is how well Wilder has performed in re- matches.

I hate to say it, but I think he might catch Fury quite early on. There's also the question of the cut.

There's quite a similarity here with Ali - Foreman. The mouthy, mercurial ex champion against the terrifying, monster banger. While I think Fury is a wonderful fighter, he ain't no Ali.

Comment

I have no interest in professional boxing and in fact lean towards a positive dislike of it but there's a question that's bothered me for ages. How is it that boxing is the only sport (I think) that gets away with pay-per-view on the telly? Football dabbled with it but it seemed to disappear as soon as it appeared.
                              Last edited by Capybara; 22-02-2020, 14:39.

Comment

I guess I'm similar too, I think it's foul and find it unwatchable, but am curious about how and why things work.

Is there another sport that doesn't really have competitions, but simply a set of one-off events?

Comment

Wilder in the 9th; the bet is on. Both fighting above their normal weights which is rare and suggests that both are looking to win early which I think may negate each other. Whilst Wilder looks toned Fury looks flabby (again) so I predict his size catching up with him and Wilder taking advantage.

Comment

Interesting question above. How does chess work, in terms of when those big match ups happen?

I’m optimistically going for a Fury KO. I just wonder if he might have a ruse to walk Wilder onto something.

Comment

Round one to Fury.

Comment

Dramatic second, Fury is risking taking some enormous shots from Wilder. Fury seems to be putting Wilder into very difficult positions. But usually that’s when he knocks someone out.

Comment

Wow...

Comment

Wilder surviving, just. But does Fury put his foot on the gas?

Comment

Wilder looks like Joshua in the first Ruiz fight. He’s felled by a body shot. This could be stopped at any moment!

Comment

Wilder could be down any moment. But he recovered against Ortiz, maybe he could here, Fury looks a little tired

Comment

Towel’s in. Not a moment too soon. What a performance. Fury is number one. One of the great comebacks.

Comment

What guts and courage by Wilder. Too much actually. It stopped exactly at the right time.

Quite the showbiz ringwalks tonight, from both men. When will we learn to take Fury’s claims of greatness at face value?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X