No announcement yet.

Pound-for-pound, dollar-for-dollar: Boxing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eddie Hearn on the radio saying if you buy a ticket you'll get a 30 day visa to visit and of course women can go in just like the David Gueta concert and yeah some people have said stuff but look I don't do politics all I know is we made a commitment to grow the game and they're putting lots of money in and building boxing gyms etc etc

Comment

Will women journalists be able to cover it? Will they sit in the same areas as men? Will women boxers be able to fight on the undercard? Will gay people be welcome? Will journalists be able to write about it without fear of interference? All questions that should be asked, though they will be dodged, of course.
      Last edited by diggedy derek; 13-08-2019, 07:50.

Comment

Andy Ruiz now takes to Instagram to say the fight won’t be happening in SA. Gotta laugh.

Comment

Have a great time tonight Ray if you're there. Much as I love Lomachenko, there's been slightly too much of a love-in feel, and the fight could benefit from Cambell earning his respect with a few big shots early on. Let's hope it's a Linares and not a Crolla tonight.

Comment

Yeah, I'm there. Taking Bored and a couple of Wimbledon mates along too. The full undercard looks interesting as well (detailed on the football matchgoing thread).

There is a slight air of expectation of a Lomachenko exhibition fight but, like GGG v Brook, it could well be a better contest than that.

Comment

A Linares it was, then. I thought those scores seemed very slightly harsh on Campbell who clocked him with some serious shots and took the punishment heroically. Lomachenko is impossible to live with, though.

Comment

Yeah, Campbell was hugely impressive in going the distance and causing Loma some problems (and his significant advantage in reach really helped him) but there was no doubt about the decision. Lomachenko is just ridiculously well-equipped and has every attribute you need to a be a great. A special fighter, a fantastic challenger and a great fight.

The other standout performance of the night was Julio Cesar Martinez giving Charlie Edwards a proper beating but then losing the belt for a late blow with Edwards clearly already finished. It may have been the correct decision to declare it a no contest but having the president of the WBC march in the ring to do so when the referee took no action and it had already been made clear video footage couldn't affect the decision was bizarre. To then hear Edwards bleat that "cheaters never prosper" was pathetic. Much as there was talk of a rematch I will be amazed if Edwards ever steps in a ring with Martinez again as he was outclassed and I think his whining about making the weight may well be his excuse to duck a return fight.

Hughie Fury v Povetkin was an uninspiring plodding bout. Povetkin looked a shadow of the fighter he was in recent years, out of condition and without spark, but still easily outclassed Fury who did very little. Joshua Buatsi looked impressive beating Ryan Ford though the final punch was right on the line of a low blow to me. Cordina v Gwynne was a bit of a messy brawl but enjoyable and I think Cordina's better reputation probably secured him the decision, there wasn't much in it.

A really good night's boxing, with a crowd generally far more interested in the intricacies of what was going on in the ring than is often the case with a lot of these mega-fights where people are attending for the hype and event.

Comment

Didn't you catch Savannah Marshall?

Comment

Unfortunately not, we were all heading up from football games meaning we didn't get there until around 6:30pm and her bout was the opening one. We actually missed the opening round of the Cordina v Gwynne fight which followed Marshall's.
                    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 01-09-2019, 11:42.

Comment

Bloody hell, I didn't realise there was another fight before. Concur completely with Ray's appraisal. The Cordina/Gwynne fight was enjoyable if not a grea display of skill on the either side. The rest of the undercard was diverting and enjoyable enough but the end of the Edwards/Martinez fight was a deplorable example of the chicanery that has happened in the pro game (and, it be fair, in the amateurs, increasingly) for decades. Judges and ref gives Martinez the fight, Eddie Hearns gets up, starts grizzling and the WBC head gives it as a no contest. Imagine Gianni Infantino deciding who has won the World Cup. Fortunately, the Campbell and Lomachenko fight was absorbing, more even than I thought it would be (although the result wasn't really in doubt) and a massive step up in quality on the undercard games. A shame for Campbell that he is fighting at the same time as Loma as he is a good fighter who could have a few more belts without him around. A great night's boxing.

Comment

Watching it on TV, Hughie Fury was so passive and ponderous it genuinely could have been a random bloke. I don't know how he expects to win fights without throwing any meaningful punches. It's not like he hasn't done this before, either.

Thinking about the Martinez Taylor affair, is there a cast iron reason a no contest rather than a disqualification? Martinez was winning all ends up, but for a malicious assault like that, what the reason he should not have been thrown out? Because the ref had already made a call?

Comment

Yes, the ref hadn't given a decision against him and, apparently, video can't be referred to in BBBC fights. I'll be very interested if there is any comment on the boxing sites regarding the validity of the no contest call.

I think "malicious assault" is very much overstating it. Martinez had landed about thirty legitimate punches on Edwards in a row, his adrenaline was pumping and he didn't stop himself when he definitely should have but no more. Had it been a head shot I might have agreed but it was to the midriff.

Comment

Don’t get me wrong, a disqualification would have felt wrong. Taylor was finished. I’m just wondering if there’s any reason it wasn’t a DQ apart a nebulous feeling of ‘rightness’

Comment

Some great fights at the moment, and the big events of the last couple of weeks both exceeded expectations. Golovkin–Derevyanchenko went the full 12 but was just edged by GGG. Golovkin is palpably ageing, though, he's looked indecisive and a little tired in both his last two fights. I'm not sure a third fight against Canelo would be pretty. The latter faces Kovolev at light-heavyweight next, which will be a big test at a much higher weight, but Kovolev might well be looking for just one more big payday. A Canelo - Callum Smith fight would be very exciting, though.

Errol Spence Jr ag against Shawn Porter was great also, Porter gave it all and caused Spence all sorts of problems, and he came though them with skill, if not ease.

Next, Usyk at heavyweight, a seriously thrilling prospect.

Comment

Bloody hell, Errol Spence Jr has been involved in a serious road accident.

Comment

Patrick Day has died. He was knocked out on the Usyk undercard. This has been a very bad year for fatalities in boxing. It’s more important than ever that referees are supported when they stop fights a little early.

Spence miraculously seems to have escaped with cuts and broken teeth.

Comment

Spence has been charged with Driving While Intoxicated:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...e-car-accident

Comment

He wasn’t wearing a seatbelt, which paradoxically might have saved him from being sandwiched in the car (and maybe being intoxicated might have helped also). I’ll never understand why people don’t wear seatbelts.

Comment

Ritson vs Davies Jr was a fantastic all british affair last night well worth watching again. Billed as Bad Blood, there was lots of good vibes after a fearsome tear-up. Not sure Ritson is all that great a fighter at super lightweight, he’s very static, but shows a lot of heart at home in Newcastle

Comment

The Josh Taylor – Regis Prograis fight at the weekend was a fantastic match-up. I haven’t watched Taylor all that much before, and had always associated him with being a classy boxer-boxer, but it was physical strength that won it for him. This was such an intriguing clash of styles, with Taylor the taller boxer nevertheless being keen to work on the inside with these short hooks and uppercuts, and Prograis trying to control things by moving and jabbing from a distance. It was fast and furious both tactically and physically from the first to the last. I’d love to see Prograis box in the UK again.

Canelo – Kobalev at the weekend. I don’t know if we’ve mentioned Lee Wylie on here before, but I have been eagerly digesting his tactical breakdowns of some of the big recent match-ups, particularly eg his forensic studies of what makes Lomachenko such a superhuman opponent. Anyway, his one on Canelo – Kobalev is another great watch.

Also at the weekend, Katie Taylor, the first woman to headline a boxing card at a major venue in the UK. Something to get excited about on more than one level.

I wonder what’s happening with Dillian Whyte, apart from his spell on Celebrity Masterchef. He must, it seems, be serving some sort of silent ban for his adverse drugs finding. I imagine because it’s all confidential, it’s completely up to Whyte and UKAD what actually is discussed about the case, as all could be subject to legal action etc, so the practical upshot is that literally nothing is in the public domain about the case.

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
                                            The Josh Taylor – Regis Prograis fight at the weekend was a fantastic match-up. I haven’t watched Taylor all that much before, and had always associated him with being a classy boxer-boxer, but it was physical strength that won it for him. This was such an intriguing clash of styles, with Taylor the taller boxer nevertheless being keen to work on the inside with these short hooks and uppercuts, and Prograis trying to control things by moving and jabbing from a distance. It was fast and furious both tactically and physically from the first to the last. I’d love to see Prograis box in the UK again.

Canelo – Kobalev at the weekend. I don’t know if we’ve mentioned Lee Wylie on here before, but I have been eagerly digesting his tactical breakdowns of some of the big recent match-ups, particularly eg his forensic studies of what makes Lomachenko such a superhuman opponent. Anyway, his one on Canelo – Kobalev is another great watch.

Also at the weekend, Katie Taylor, the first woman to headline a boxing card at a major venue in the UK. Something to get excited about on more than one level.

I wonder what’s happening with Dillian Whyte, apart from his spell on Celebrity Masterchef. He must, it seems, be serving some sort of silent ban for his adverse drugs finding. I imagine because it’s all confidential, it’s completely up to Whyte and UKAD what actually is discussed about the case, as all could be subject to legal action etc, so the practical upshot is that literally nothing is in the public domain about the case.
                                            Taylor wins relatively comfortably in the finish - taking seven of the ten rounds according to two of the judges, and six according to the other. Widely expected now that there will be a rematch with Persoon, after the controversy surrounding the first result.

Comment

I thought Taylor bossed that, Linardatou seemed to be looking for just one punch and Taylor made her miss and made her pay countless times. I don't know if Taylor will stay at this higher weight, maybe she would be better suited a bit lower where she's that much more powerful.

The rematch with Persoon would be exciting for sure (I can see why some people thought Persoon was robbed, as the rounds she won, she totally dominated). Persoon was so distraught over that result that stormed out of the ring and down to the car park with a camera following her, WWE-style.

Comment

A sick son meant I was was up for Canelo - Kovalev. My stream gave out at the start of the 11th round, to which point Kovalev had been methodically breaking Canelo down, and then I return to find Canelo had scored an explosive knock-out. Darn it, that would have been a great one for the old guys.
                                                Last edited by diggedy derek; 03-11-2019, 06:14.

Comment

I have no idea what has happened to HBO in the US but they seemed to have lost all their rights to the biggest fighters and all at once. I assume they sold the package to DAZN but can't say for sure. Showtime still has boxing and so do some other sports networks but HBO had the most interesting fighters. Anyway, Kovalev has sure fallen. There was a time when he couldn't be beat. And he was certainly a bigger fighter (weight class) than Canelo. I assume Canelo went up in weight class to make this fight so Kovalev should have been in good shape, but that's the Kovalev of 5 years ago.

Comment

HBO threw in the towel last year

After 45 years, more than 1,000 fights and some of the most lucrative and disputed matches of all time, HBO is throwing in the towel on professional boxing.

What started with a monumental upset seen by a relative handful of customers — George Foreman’s knockout of the heavyweight champion Joe Frazier in 1973 — will come to a close at the end of 2018. The network has no boxing broadcasts scheduled beyond a middleweight title fight at Madison Square Garden on Oct. 27.

Peter Nelson, the 37-year-old executive vice president of HBO Sports, announced Thursday morning, in a meeting with the HBO Boxing production staff, that the network was dropping boxing. The HBO Boxing staff includes the play-by-play announcer Jim Lampley, the analyst Max Kellerman, the ringside scorer Harold Lederman and the former boxing champions Andre Ward and Roy Jones Jr., who work for HBO as freelance commentators. Of the announcing staff, only Lampley is expected to remain with HBO.

“This is not a subjective decision,” Nelson said in a recent interview. “Our audience research informs us that boxing is no longer a determinant factor for subscribing to HBO.”

Comment

Working...
                                                    X