No announcement yet.

Pound-for-pound, dollar-for-dollar: Boxing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know, or I believe I know, that the scoring system in boxing is 10-9 for a closely-won round and 10-8 for one in which there was a knockdown...so if Fury won a majority of the close-run rounds but was knocked down in two of them that would make the fight pretty even...However, something inside me says that if you're felled twice in a 12 round bout (and not early round flash knockdowns but in the late stages) then you don't really deserve to win, for all your technical brillliance early on.

Comment

I have shown my ignorance in scoring but that is what I thought instinctively as well.

Comment

I believe Wilder's been in this position before: behind on the cards, but saved by knockdowns. You could say that evens out scoring wise, maybe it does, but him being tactically outwitted is not new.

TG, I can't find the tweet, though I know I saw the actual tweet itself at the time –*I'm pretty sure it happened after an AJ fight, probably against Joseph Parker.

I think Wilder was over in the UK a few months back to promote this fight, and was spending a lot of time with kids and children, which is great to see. Both him and Fury have been great after this fight. So bring on the rematch.

Comment

I know boxing enjoys a redemption story even more than other sports but it does seem strange to see this new outpouring of affection for Fury that seems to forget both his doping ban (which only ended because UKAD were concerned they would be bankrupted by the legal costs) and previous all-round offensive behaviour and bigoted pronouncements.

I know he's cited depression and addiction issues in the past but I can't help be cynical and suspect that the former, at least, is being introduced to whitewash his character. Especially as I genuinely don't know if he's ever been clinically diagnosed as suffering from depression (though that's his business, I know), claims to have "beaten" it due to his religious beliefs and, again as far as I'm aware, not recanted or apologised for his previous bigotry.

He does seem to have fought well at the weekend (I deliberately avoided the fight and would probably do so again with any rematch) so he's certainly proved wrong people like me who doubted he'd ever be a contender again but I'll refrain from the "Good old Tyson" mood that seems to have permeated the media and beyond recently.
          Last edited by Ray de Galles; 04-12-2018, 14:00.

Comment

Yeah, seconded.

Comment

We should note Katie Taylor walking out to Fairytale Of New York, at Christmas time, at Madison Square Gardens

Comment

I caught the first four rounds of Frampton Warrington the other day, before my stream gave up. Warrington was relentless in his clubbing caveman attacks, and must have been in top condition to keep it up at a similar pitch for 12 rounds. Frampton is usually the master tactician, but he had no answer. Great fight.

Comment

Reaction from Frampton's fans seems to be mainly recommending retirement. Less Madison Square than back to Duncairn Gardens alas

Comment

It wouldn't be a bad time – he's had a impressive career.

Comment

I’d still like to see a Selby v Frampton fight but it’s far less box office now it’d be between the guys Warrington beat. They’re both 31 now too so maybe time has passed.

Comment

Those seeking a little diversion this holiday period might enjoy Joseph Parker vs Dillion Whyte, and Dereck Chisora vs Carlos Takam, both heavyweight encounters in every sense from the summer, which Sky has now stuck up in full on YouTube.

Comment

This is Hilarious
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cVDpKRoxm4&t=1192s

Mayweather got paid $9 million for an Exhibition boxing match against a Japanese MMA fighter.
                          Sadly Nobody told the Japanese fellow it was a Exhibition and he came out and had the temerity to hit Floyd on the jaw. After which, Mayweather put on the game face and beat the crap out of him.

Comment

Who pays to watch that shit? The kid looks like those Sky competition winners who got to spar with Joshua.

Comment

It was evidently a big deal in Japan, so it is perhaps to consider the whole thing as his Lost in Translation moment.

Comment

An interesting New York Times article about a VHS collection of boxing matches:
                                https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/22/n...gtype=Homepage

Comment

I haven’t checked the result yet, but a superlative match-up of names in a big fight over the weekend - Shields versus Hammer.

Comment

So, this Lomachenko guy is impressive, eh?

Comment

I saw him fight for Ukraine against GB in the World Series Boxing at the York Hall in 2013 alongside the similarly lauded Oleksandyr Usyk (who also features in most of the the current pound for pound top tens).

Lomachenko was certainly incredibly impressive and widely regarded as the best amateur fighter in the world then. I remember both he and Usyk well outclassing more than decent British opponents (in the latter case it was Joe Joyce, later to get a Silver Medal in Rio and in the early stages of a belated pro career now).

Would love to see Lomachenko fight in the UK again, I pondered going to see Usyk fight Tony Bellew in Manchester last year but never got round to making the trip.
                                      Last edited by Ray de Galles; 15-04-2019, 15:31.

Comment

That Usyk-Bellew fight was electric on TV, shame you didn't make it in person.

Lomachenko's combined professional and amateur record is 409 fights and two losses - the amateur one of which he got his revenge for twice. He is indeed amazing, an astonishing innovator, the way he pulls other fighters' guards down with one hand which hitting them with the other, for instance, and a supreme athlete. He was always going to beat (and beat easily) Crolla, who seems to me a steady and resilient fighter but with nothing remotely in terms of power or technique that was going to cause Lomachenko any problems. But the way he did it was absolutely ruthless. The Ukrainian doesn't generally tend to knock people out, but he was like a goddamn ninja warrior in there.

Hopefully Crolla now retires, with an honourable record and his health intact. The referee should have stopped the fight at the end of the third when he was taking untold punishment without reply.
                                        Last edited by diggedy derek; 15-04-2019, 15:25.

Comment

Yeah, I saw the Bellew fight on TV when it went on free to air and Usyk was brutal.

The Lomachenko v Crolla fight at the weekend managed to pass me by though. Who showed it over here, BoxNation?

Comment

It was on Sky I believe, not PPV, just normal. Usyk and Lomachenko both seem really nice guys. Makes them even better to watch.

Comment

Extended highlights from YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
                                                It was on Sky I believe, not PPV, just normal. Usyk and Lomachenko both seem really nice guys. Makes them even better to watch.
                                                Bugger, don't know how I missed that apart from having a busy sport watching weekend in general. Will catch up on the highlights, thanks UA.

Comment

Miller denied licence for Joshua fight due to “adverse sample”...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/47970845

Comment

Confirmed now, he's out of the fight. Steroid and HGH masking agent. What a bell-end.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X