Pound-for-pound, dollar-for-dollar: Boxing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
    Confirmed now, he's out of the fight. Steroid and HGH masking agent. What a bell-end.
    This is the same Miller that has been accusing Joshua in every interview for being on steroids.

I'm going to watch Canello v Jacobs on the 4th May in LV, that should be a good fight.

Comment

Amir Khan has to retire from his (already painfully one-sided) fight against Terence Crawford after "taking a low blow". That's boxing terminology for "getting punched square in the bollocks".

Comment

It certainly gave him an escape from the beating he was getting - he could have taken the mandated 5 minutes to recover from an accidental blow, but retired instead.
        He should be thinking of retirement from the sport, really.

Comment

Reflecting a bit after the Khan defeat, I think he deserves a fair amount of slack. He was getting soundly beaten by a superb fighter (although not for me a shut-out) and then he gets whacked in the balls (not deliberate, but reckless). He had a go and the manner in which it ended seems less important. Hopefully he takes stock and retires - he's always going to land some good shots, but it's hard to see how he would ever win a major fight again.

Your LV trip sounds great TG.

Comment

Wow, Daniel Dubois is going to fight Joe Joyce. A 50-50 UK clash of two solid contenders.

Given the farcical state of negotiations in the heavyweight division, this could be - it probably will be, sadly - the heavyweight fight of the year.

Comment

Khan's record of 33-5 looks poor compared to his talent
              Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 29-04-2019, 11:34.

Comment

Unbelievable tear-up between Katie Taylor and Delfine Persoon, Taylor wins and is undisputed lightweight champion of the world - except it could not have been closer, Taylor winning by six rounds to four by two of the judges, and Persoon leaves the ring distraught. Both fighters were almost out on their feet.

Comment

Astonishing round three Joshua Ruiz...

Comment

Reminiscent of the Klitschko fight, either man could fall at any time

Comment

Joshua dropping his hands and seems to have lost his way. Not sure recovered from being dropped

Comment

Joshua down again, he’s gonna lose this

Comment

ALL OVER

Comment

Well well....

Comment

Full card highlights here:

Comment

I woke up with a start when I head this on the radio news while dozing this morning.

Joshua had looked fallible in his last two fights against Povetkin and Parker and, however much he protests otherwise, complacency must have played a part here. It sounds like Ruiz had a great fight though I honestly don't know much about him, maybe his previous defeat to Parker was a homer decision.
                                Last edited by Ray de Galles; 02-06-2019, 08:47.

Comment

Joshua seemed to have a fairly similar gameplan to Povetkin, walk him onto a right, and jab to the body to keep him in check. Which is all fine, it might even be the best strategy, but he often lacks a plan B or a way to change it up on the fly. Against such a clever puncher as Ruiz it is obviously lacking

Comment

Ah, Give Me Sport have dug up something I thought I caught at the time, that before the seventh round he was asking Rob McCracken "why am I feeling like this?" or something like that.

Well, until we learn otherwise, I think he must have been concussed.

Comment

The Belfast boxing coach who brought a broken city together with a gym

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...y_to_clipboard

Another great piece of writing. Makes me want to buy the book by Donald McRae.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

Would love to see Lomachenko fight in the UK again, I pondered going to see Usyk fight Tony Bellew in Manchester last year but never got round to making the trip.
                                        Just spotted that Lomachenko is fighting Luke Campbell at the 02 on August 31st, I definitely plan to be there. Campbell's pro career has never really caught fire since his (usually unfairly overlooked) 2012 Olympic Gold, though he fought well against Jorge Linares in 2017 (his only previous world title shot) and in a rematch with Yvan Mendy on the Joshua v Povetkin undercard last year.

Comment

Yes, that is a very exciting arrival on these shores. Lomachenko is Djokovic, Messi, Kholi, that sort of level of class and innovation. There's some great videos online showing and breaking down some of his tricks and techniques (for instance, the way he pulls the guard of an opponent down with one hand before clocking them with the other) and they are mesmerising.

Campbell is a seriously skillful and classy boxer (the finish against Adrian Yung is beautiful, a jab which turned into a ferocious hook), but I don't see how he's winning this fight. He can probably slip and slide and score eye-catching punches like he did against Yvan Mendy (or like Tony Belew did against Oleksander Usyk) but I don't see how Campbell has the power to stop a supreme athlete like Lomachenko coming forward.

I was going to say it was a thrilling weekend for boxing with the Whyte, Price, Chisora etc event, but it seems likely Whyte has failed a drug test. After some obfuscation from Eddie Hearn that he was 'cleared to box', it seems likely that this meant 'waiting for his B-sample to be tested'. I've grown very fond of Whyte as a boxer and he's a straight up guy, but if he has failed he deserves to be thrown out of the sport.

Comment

Hughie Fury fights Alexander Povetkin on the Campbell Lomachenko bill.

Comment

Carl Frampton has been forced out of the Dominguez fight after [checks notes] a freak accident with a large ornament.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...nuel-dominguez

Comment

Joshua the great communicator and man of the people is fighting his next fight in... Saudi Arabia.

(the Ruiz rematch, in December).

Comment

Has that been confirmed now? Utterly vile, was still hoping they'd see sense and stage it at the Millennium.

Comment

Confirmed, already condemned by Amnesty International, etc.

The head of state murdered a journalist this year. I’m not even certain women can attend the fight on the same terms as men.

They probably needed a neutral place after the Dillian Whyte drugs debacle, why not Canada, Germany, Sweden, Ukraine, etc?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X