No announcement yet.

Pound-for-pound, dollar-for-dollar: Boxing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I and everyone else around me had Joshua 4-2 down going in to the seventh and right before the first telling flurry of punches my brother turned to me and said “He’s just not doing enough!” which was a fair comment. Then he pulled something special out of his locker and it was all over.

He’s somehow still a work in progress and yet still delivering, let’s hope Wilder beats Fury in to retirement and is April’s opponent.

Comment

Similarly, I had Joshua behind for the first three rounds* and really having to pull out something out not be worried about it going to points - which he obviously did. After the last game and his early warning here, Joshua has had plenty of kicks up the arse recently for him to knock any complacency out of him ahead of the, hopefully, Wilder fight in April. To be fair, I don't think that he was complacent last night, he obviously was prepared for Povotkin and just was on the receiving end of some efficent punches and a good early gameplan. The concern I had was that none of his punches that connected hurt Povetkin for the first three or four rounds. Obviously, after the bloody nose, it was a good idea for Joshua to keep Povetkin at bay for a round or two but even his exploratary jabs weren't that effective. Joshua's a bright reflective lad who will know what he did and didn't do well last night and what he needs to improve upon ahead of April.

*bearing in mind that I was using scoring that, as Ray had to point out to me, isn't even used in the amateurs anymore.

Comment

Apparently, Joshua was up 58-56, 58-56, and 59-55 on the judge's cards after round six so I’m glad the stoppage took away the risk of a questionable homer points decision.

Comment

Surprised to see there's been no mention of the passing of Enzo Calzaghe, the father and coach of Joe.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...zaghe-obituary

An interesting life before becoming a boxing coach to his son.

Comment

I had saved that up to read. Thanks for the reminder.

There's a brilliant little film online of training at the Calzaghe gym. Looks mad and stranger than any fiction could any offer.

Comment

Yeah, should have mentioned Enzo's passing.

This was a lovely, affecting, accurate piece too.

Comment

Oh no, didn't know that.

Comment

Yeah, I was sad to read of Enzo's passing. He seemed like such a warm and charismatic man. Christ knows how he successfully trained his own son for so long, because it's usually a disaster.

I think my favourite memory of him was when HBO did the 24/7 documentary for Calzaghe vs. Jones and he took a guitar off a street musician in New York City and started playing songs on it himself.

Comment

Boxing faces an "unprecedented risk" and must work to ensure it is not ousted as an Olympic sport, says the head of England Boxing.

Comment

Tony Bellew giving Oleksander Usyk a hell of a fight, sucking him into precisely the kind of trading he doesn’t want.

Comment

Usyk seriously stepping it up now, constant pressure, and the pressure finally tells. Great performance from Bellew, probably the toughest ever fight for Usyk.

Usyk like his mate Lomachenko seems like a really great guy, bowing down to Bellew and kissing him on the head. He’s surely made a lot of friends and, having done everything at cruiserweight, will have the heavyweights in his sights.
                        Last edited by diggedy derek; 10-11-2018, 23:33.

Comment

Fury versus Wilder is, whatever you think of them, a thrillingly named match-up.

Me, I don’t like either of them much, and I’m certainly not ready to welcome reformed man Tyson back until he properly addresses some of the appalling hate speech he’s used in the past to boost his profile. But Wilder’s no saint.

I expect both to be cautious, Fury to look good but Wilder to gradually step it up and Fury not quite ready for this level after such a quick journey back to The Ring. An honourable - if you can call him that - loss for Fury, which nonethless will still be a useful match for him.

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
                            Fury versus Wilder is, whatever you think of them, a thrillingly named match-up.

Me, I don’t like either of them much, and I’m certainly not ready to welcome reformed man Tyson back until he properly addresses some of the appalling hate speech he’s used in the past to boost his profile. But Wilder’s no saint.

I expect both to be cautious, Fury to look good but Wilder to gradually step it up and Fury not quite ready for this level after such a quick journey back to The Ring. An honourable - if you can call him that - loss for Fury, which nonethless will still be a useful match for him.
                            What is it about Wilder that you don't like?

He will beat Fury with ease after feeling him out for a few rounds. The final knockout coming in the 6th.

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post
                              What is it about Wilder that you don't like?

He will beat Fury with ease after feeling him out for a few rounds. The final knockout coming in the 6th.
                              Maybe I’m being harsh, as Wilder has a nice side for sure. But I don’t like how he belittled Anthony Joshua’s background and his Africa tattoo: “you ain’t no African, etc”.

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
                                Maybe I’m being harsh, as Wilder has a nice side for sure. But I don’t like how he belittled Anthony Joshua’s background and his Africa tattoo: “you ain’t no African, etc”.
                                Any links to that DD. Was it genuinely malicious or just regular trash talk to hype a potential fight?

The only comments I have heard from wilder with regards Joshua's background is Wilder claiming to have done a DNA test and like Joshua is of a Yoruba background.

The only potentially distasteful thing I have heard him say is how he fears he might kill someone in the ring due to his power and nastiness in the ring.

He made some touching comments after the Ortiz fight as they both have disabled children.

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post
                                  Any links to that DD. Was it genuinely malicious or just regular trash talk to hype a potential fight?

The only comments I have heard from wilder with regards Joshua's background is Wilder claiming to have done a DNA test and like Joshua is of a Yoruba background.

The only potentially distasteful thing I have heard him say is how he fears he might kill someone in the ring due to his power and nastiness in the ring.

He made some touching comments after the Ortiz fight as they both have disabled children.
                                  Back on that in a bit...

I can't seem to find anywhere online to watch this, but listening to UK radio, Fury is having the better fight, yet American journalists have Wilder ahead, uh-oh.

Comment

And Fury down in the ninth round...
                                    Last edited by diggedy derek; 02-12-2018, 05:37.

Comment

Fury down in the twelfth round!

Comment

It's gone all the way. Well, let's see. Can Fury really take it on points in America?

Quite a performance from Fury in any case, he's back.

Comment

Oh my god a draw!

Comment

Well, I can't see anything other than a rematch, I suppose for commercial reasons (in the sense of it helping promote a struggling division) in America. Joshua will probably spend 2019 beating up a couple of other contenders at Wembley Stadium.

On the radio, they reckon it may be a fight for one of them versus Joshua next, though. I dunno. I can’t see why they wouldn’t just milk what they’ve got in fromt of them
                                            Last edited by diggedy derek; 02-12-2018, 06:07.

Comment

There's no way they won't milk it and go for the rematch. Joshua will still be there for the winner in 12 months.

I'd be intrigued to see these two go again, with Fury having another 6 months to prepare.

That second knock down saved Wilder. Extraordinary that Fury got up - he seemed out until half way through the count.

Comment

The way Fury got up, you wouldn't believe that a few secs earlier he looked out for the count. He looked as fresh as a daisy.

I didn't see the fight, but I've seen a few clips of that now. Absolutely brilliant from Fury. Credit where it's due.

Comment

The issue is that anyone who, like me, didn’t see the fight will look at the result and think “yeah, right” (especially if they are unconvinced about the recent rehabilitation of heavyweight boxing). Of course , from what’s been written here, we could be wrong but there will still be a residual suspicion.

Comment

The pity of it is that by the time Warren and Wilder's guys have arranged the rematch, Joshua will probably have had to relinquish at least one of his belts as those three will all demand he fights different people, the chance of seeing a unification fight will be lost and we'll be back to having three or four world champions. Which I suspect suits all the money men just fine.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X