Leather on Willow - County Championship, 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Considering four players got ducks, two others got out in single figures, that was a pretty laudable effort by Northants to make 514 all out against Surrey.

Comment

Nice ton.

Comment

nmrfox wrote: Leicestershire will actually win a game this season but will still finish bottom of Division 2.

Div 1 champs - Warwickshire
        Div 2 champs - Lancashire
        Well at least I got two things right (albeit not the most difficult of choices to predict).

Comment

In the pub.

And discussing who are under threat of relegation next year.

Durham.
          Somerset.

Your outsiders - Yorkshire and Notts

Comment

Gloucestershire v Glamorgan

County Championship, Division 2, Day 1.

Last week of the cricket season and what better time to head for a completely meaningless county championship game.

Rain delayed the start and for the first time in over three hundred county championship games I have been to, I got to see the toss. Glamorgan won and chose to bat.

Not everyone shared our excitement. Dai had more cans of Strongbow with him than there were spectators in the stands (16). Despite the plethora of seats an old couple still decided to place their deck chairs right in front of us.

Dai had decided to give his summer trousers an outing, but they don’t seem to be the casual fit they once were, so most of the ground got to see at least half of his arse at some point during the day.

A total of 21 runs in the morning session saw us head to the guide listed Annex part of the Sportsman pub for lunch. When we got back, rain immediately stopped play.

But the players were soon back out.

As was Dai’s arse.

With an hour left of play, there was an enormous down pour, followed by beautiful sunshine. This produced a lovely rainbow over the ground, just as it was announced play was abandoned for the day.

We went back to the Annexe to have cactus, tabasco and stilton pizzas and Wye Valley HPA.

Good times.

Comment

Some signs of movement in the transfer market following the end of the season...

Probably the biggest move (assuming you discount David Willey, announced mid-season) is Danny Briggs having his contract cancelled at Hampshire to join Sussex.

Seems like it could be a sensible move - Briggs only played half Hampshire's Championship games last season, and they have Liam Dawson to do a job and Mason Crane/England under-19 captain Brad Taylor coming through, although both could prove a bit raw if Dawson isn't chipping in.

So Briggs has the chance to be first-choice in Division Two at Sussex, who didn't even really seem to have a first-choice spinner last season (I didn't realise). Ashar Zaidi only played seven Championship games, and they seemingly relied on top-order batsman Luke Wells otherwise (and Will Beer in the shorter formats). And of course they get Briggs in what is presently his stronger suit - he played every game in the Twenty20 last season, although he only played three games in the One-Day Cup for some reason.

Also, was anyone surprised that CricInfo didn't do a post-season review in any form?

Comment

So, apparently, Craig Overton is a colossal dick.

Comment

Just awful

Comment

I didn't even know what a Kolpak was until today, after much research.

Comment

You were gone too long

Comment

I can't see how this is being seen as less serious than Gale's (which I thought was dealt with correctly). Gale's 'Kolpak' reference meant that he could just have been making a point about the Kolpak system which has been widely criticised, whereas Overton's seems to have been simply based on race/nationality.

And Somerset's defence "he didn't say it (despite Yardy having heard it) and if he did then he was talking to one of his teammates" is risible.

Comment

Working...
                        X