Hamilton again - Formula 1 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pre-season testing done and I saw a trailer on the BBC last night, so time for the F1 thread.

A fairly quiet winter really, all the drivers were confirmed by mid-December, so the big story has been as to whether Caterham or Marussia could get the funding together to carry on. The former failed and their assets are now up for sale. The latter had more success and came out of administration in mid-February. They've renamed as Manor, and are trying to build a car in time. They wanted to run their 2014 car but Force India vetoed that (which is a bit rich from FI given that they only just got their own 2015 car three days before the end of testing) and they''re now are rushing to modify their 2014 car for the end of the week so it can be flown to Australia.

McLaren have gone back to the 80s by having Honda [strike]engines[/strike] power units. They've had predictable teething troubles through testing, barely being able to get the car round the track for long periods of time. They do sound like they have potential though, 3 seconds off the pace on a heavily detuned engine suggests there is a lot more to come. There was a mysterious incident with Alonso in the second test where he crashed and spent three nights in hospital despite McLaren going "move along, nothing to see here." He's out of the Melbourne race as a consequence. (thank you McLaren for announcing this while I was typing)

Mercedes have been both fast and relatively reliable in testing, and clearly have a significant advantage over the field. Given the respective performances of the drivers in the second half of last season I can see Hamilton taking his third title in November, and it's not totally impossible Mercedes will go through the card and win every race.

It seems early, perhaps because the winter has been and still is so cold here.

Alonso won't be at Melbourne. Ferrari have had yet another major shakeup, but have not impressed their myriad domestic critics. One hopes that someone emerges to challenge the silver arrows.

Comment

I was quite surprised about Alonso.

Hey, bring it all on.

Comment

Potential boycott at Melbourne.

Fernando Alonso won’t race at Albert Park, but the driver is still the centre of attention at the Australian GP, with a number of teams threatening to boycott the race if they don’t receive more information about the crash the Spanish driver suffered in testing at Montmeló. The reports come from Sport Bild. And there’s been no denial.

Comment

Bild's not renowned for being a reliable source of Formula 1 news, which may be why the Spanish media are the only outlets running with the story.

Comment

Hamilton took a pedestrian and predictable win in Melbourne. For various reasons only 15 cars took the start.

The sport is absolutely fucked.

Comment

Maybe you should call this thread Hamilton Academical.

Comment

A full season of that is going to do some damage.

Comment

Sean - that elicited a real live, bonafide LOL.

As in HamILOLton pissing it.

Last year's Oz had the fart cars, the boycott against the sound, the rescinding of Riccardo's podium, and the season turned out okay. The crowds were certainly impressive today. Funny to hear Lewis crack on Governator Ahhhnarld's lack of height. Nice to see Seb Vet in red.

It's just that Formula e has been so dynamite this year, that may shine a light on when Renault fucks an engine up, or we have another year of +:30 second victories, it looks more precarious.

Comment

jason voorhees wrote:

It's just that Formula e has been so dynamite this year,
                    I've really been enjoying that, just a shame the races are infrequent and ITV4's coverage is beyond amateurish.

Comment

Well done Herr Vettel.

Comment

A work colleague of mine has just handed his notice in, having just secured a job at Force India with the pit crew. He's going to be the guy who looks after the tyres, putting the blankets on and getting them up to temperature and making sure the right ones are brought out to the cars. He's absolutely buzzing.

Comment

According to the way the commentators describe races nowadays that's probably the most important job in the entire team.

Comment

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote: According to the way the commentators describe races nowadays that's probably the most important job in the entire team.
                            It's the vast sums of money in the sport that make pretty much all the pit jobs important, as none of them are particularly difficult tasks, it's the pressure that they carry with them.

Comment

Yeah, but F1 now (at the front of the grid) is all about who has and uses the best tyres at various parts of the race. You can't get more high-octane exciting than betting on the reliability of rubber products, or how their teams have handled them.

Comment

Congrats to your friend, SOS. Absolutely awesome.

I've never seen Vettel so emotional, no doubt because of his idol.

Would love to see Vettel vs Hamilton, but I don't think it will last past this race.

Comment

Sean of the Shed wrote: A work colleague of mine has just handed his notice in, having just secured a job at Force India with the pit crew. He's going to be the guy who looks after the tyres, putting the blankets on and getting them up to temperature and making sure the right ones are brought out to the cars. He's absolutely buzzing.
                                  Yes - congrats to him. Dream job and all that!

But what work experience does one need for that?

"I rescued 20 baby bats once, and put warm towels around them all in record time!"

Comment

Decent Monaco race just for the Mercedes screwjob on Lewis, and Juan Pablo Montoya wins the Indy 500, but the most mind-blowing thing for me was Edwin Moses' interview in the New York Times yesterday.

Gold Medalist Rocket Scientist F1 Fan Edwin Moses.

My view on Moses was something along these lines:

I remember a Sports Illustrated picture with him jumping over the hurdles, looking directly at the camera. It was one of those images I'll never forget.

Then even running with the chains and Marvin Gaye shades:

That would be neat if he ends up on the Haas team in some capacity.

Comment

Anyone else watch Le Mans ?

I've only seen the past 4 years, but this was by far the best endurance race I've seen.

I was able to listen on Radio Le Mans, had the Eurosport feed, the live timing, and whatever scattershit Fux coverage there was. I woke up this morning fully expecting Audi to overtake Porsche, only to find the #19 still in first place.

I was happy for Patrick Dempsey, especially judging by how much and how long he was crying how much it meant to him.

Mark Webber gets his familiar podium place (2nd,) Corvette wins the GT Pro, and Nissan was....well....riiiiiiiight....

Comment

Didn't watch it, but pleased Hulkenberg won, the way his career has progressed is a fine indicator of everything wrong with the current incarnation of Formula 1. As was the non-event that purported to be the Canadian Grand Prix.

Comment

A pretty good rule of thumb for F1 is they've fucked up if Canada is a boring race. And so it was.

Le Mans was great, I watched 9 or 10 hours of it. Besides the fact it was absolutely crammed with ex-F1 drivers that I thought had some talent, it was refreshing to see a race where the cars were about as high-tech as possible while also speedy. The Porsches and Audis were lapping the Sarthe at near F1 speeds, which says a lot when you consider how much heavier they are than F1 cars. Great to see Hulkenberg win - F1 drivers doing anything that's not F1 raises an eyebrow and should be encouraged. Great to see Porsche back at Le Mans as well.

Indycar just had a great race in Toronto as well, a common occurrence this year. It's really just F1 that is shit and boring to watch in the motor racing world.

Comment

Saw a lot of Toronto. Couldn't believe at how fast that rain came. But yes, great camerawork in those tight spaces.

What made Le Mans a bit easier to follow - and I'm not sure if they did this in previous years - is color-coding the different classes in the live timing and leader boards. It made for better viewing for when they showed a car, and I could immediately check if it was GT-Am or Pro and that was that.

Comment

Bernie Ecclestone described Formula 1 as a "crap product" yesterday. Based on the Austrian Grand Prix meeting he may have been overselling it.

Comment

At least today was great. The best race since last year's Bahrain.

Gutted for Williams lack of luck, but it all fell into Hamilton's lap.

Comment

Yeah, best race of the season by a long way, unexpected to start with and the excitement of the late rain.

Shame for Williams, might have had a double podium if it had stayed dry.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X