Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fantasy NFL 2008

And about time too.

Draft in 4 days, 10 teams already in - shall I expand to 12?

Fantasy NFL 2008

Where do I sign up?

Comment

Fantasy NFL 2008

http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/

Then you need to join our league;

ID: 121813
      Password: trevmeath

Comment

Fantasy NFL 2008

Oh, and our direct URL is;
        http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/league/otfl

Comment

Fantasy NFL 2008

I'm in.

Comment

Fantasy NFL 2008

Skill. Room for one more.

Comment

Fantasy NFL 2008

Maybe I'll do better on this than on the BBC's fantasy footie.

Comment

Fantasy NFL 2008

Awesome, FF!

I've got to get all statto99 on this and get my preferences down to the last player--can't to the draft while I'm at work.

Comment

Fantasy NFL 2008

Come on then, one more please...

Comment

Fantasy NFL 2008

Inca,

I am absolutely chuffed that my moniker has become a byword for the relentless pursuit of Fantasy NFL drafting minutiae. My visage shall be bathed in a warm aspect and sporting a satisfied glow all evening.

Comment

Fantasy NFL 2008

Still waiting for one more team...

Comment

Fantasy NFL 2008

I can try to wrangle one of my friends into it again.

Comment

Fantasy NFL 2008

Guess not--tblock20 from last season would want to draft live, which he can't do until the weekend.

Can we twist evilC's arm to join?

edit: now he says he'll autodraft if he has to.

Comment

Fantasy NFL 2008

Can someone explain the live draft to me in 1000 words or less? Fewer? Whatever?

Comment

Fantasy NFL 2008

We're randomly ordered 1 through 12 in terms of our draft position. It (obviously) goes 1-12 in the first round, but in the second round the order is reversed, so #12 picks first in the second round (and #1 picks last), and so on.

You see the list of available players (Yahoo has different options to look at who is available--all players, or broken down by positions, then in order of their rankings, or alphabetically). When a player is drafted, they'll disappear off the board.

Does that make any sense at all? Usually you can "enter" the draft 10 minutes ahead of time, and you can select players to put in a little queue window at the bottom of the frame, so you can just draft from that list when your turn comes around. When you get into the draft, it'll make sense--it's pretty intuitive.

Comment

Fantasy NFL 2008

OK, thanks. Is there a budget?

Comment

Fantasy NFL 2008

Nope. Just the threat of some joker right before you taking the rookie sleeper that you've been waiting to draft.

And there's something called autodraft, which I unfortunately will have to do--it's when people can't be there for the live draft. They can rank players ahead of time so the top available player on their list is picked for their team by the computer. But not even statto (at least I don't think so) could possibly go through and order every single player, so autodrafting people sometimes end up with some wacky draft selections, like taking a team defense or a kicker really early on, rather than a backup QB or an extra RB. (if you don't know, there's a rule of thumb about when you should draft which type of player. Kickers aren't terribly important, so you don't want to draft them anyplace earlier than one of the final rounds).

Comment

Fantasy NFL 2008

But not even statto (at least I don't think so) could possibly go through and order every single player
                                    I typically go into an autodraft with a named and individually selected player for each pick in the draft... just in case the exact 203 players on my list have been taken when I'm randomly chosen to pick last in a twelve team draft.

There is an art to the (unpublished) workings of Yahoo's autodraft and I try to use knowledge of them to my advantage, but in one draft last year I got a bit too cute and ended up with half a squad of PUP casualties or guys buried so far on the depth chart you'd need a JCB to find 'em. Weirdly, this seems to be a list established over several years that Yahoo always assigns to any autodraft squad that's not kept its workings happy. You can spot it because it always starts out by selecting QB Bradlee van Pelt.

Comment

Fantasy NFL 2008

What-bout-D-Kev?

Comment

Fantasy NFL 2008

We're at 12 now, so looks like he's missing out this time. Wonder if he knows about the new site?

Comment

Fantasy NFL 2008

I love the smell of a draft first thing in the morning.

Comment

Fantasy NFL 2008

Dammit, just found out I have a meeting at noon, so I'll be missing the draft.
                                            There's no way I'm going through and ranking all the players. I'll just have to trust what Yahoo throws at me again - usually fairly decent for the first few rounds, then some really wacky defensive picks.

Comment

Fantasy NFL 2008

That's my biggest beef with the autodraft--Yahoo's IDP rankings are bizarre. There's no rhyme or reason to them. I remember one year drafting some guy that was at the top of their IDP rankings, and it turns out he was cut by his team a few days earlier. Meanwhile, Ray Lewis and Brian Urlacher were ranked in the middle of the pack.

Comment

Fantasy NFL 2008

Is anyone else going to join me at the draft? I'm feeling a bit lonely.

Comment

Fantasy NFL 2008

Looking over the rosters, I think the Fishies seem to have the most balanced strengths on offense. Augusta has an eye-popping WR duo of Moss and TO, but Willie Parker and Michael Turner at RB could be disappointing. The Shitehawks look strong with L. Fitzgerald, Roy Williams, S. Jackon, and MJD, but Jay Cutler at QB...

Comment

Working...
                                                  X