Fantasy NFL 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fantasy NFL 2008

And, in the clutch game, I set off with a cracking 19 points from Chris Johnson and another 9 from DeMarcus Ware, posting the second highest total so far this week.

But, in an oft-repeated motif, my opponent gets an enormous 21 from kicker Rob Bironas and a gigantic 32 from Brian Westbrook who hasn't scored a touchdown in a month, then suddenly sticks four on the board to leave me thirteen points down having used a player more to a squad that came into the game 4-8.

Even if I do pull off a comeback win, Necrosos and Erdely are both winning, too, so it might be irrelevant. With the second highest points total for the league, shouldn't life be a bit more comfortable than this?

Comment

Fantasy NFL 2008

Just did a quick calculation. Including this week so far, my "Points Difference" is a mere +10 (1051 v 1041).

Comment

Fantasy NFL 2008

Well, as defending champion, here's my first request for the Statto Invitational Cup.

Comment

Fantasy NFL 2008

Sure thing, jv. It'll be up and running again this year.

Comment

Fantasy NFL 2008

Incandenza wrote:
            I don't know, and I don't care.

Looks like FF's beginners luck with the Aints is running out.
            I know, thanks to several unfortunate injuries and my ignorance about how to make trades.

Comment

Fantasy NFL 2008

What happened with trades? We almost never have them.

Comment

Fantasy NFL 2008

I tried in various leagues for the first couple of seasons, but they were always refused, apart from one where the guy accepted only at the moment when his Andre Johnson was suddenly placed on IR. Nobody could be bothered to vote to stop it, so I was forced to give up a decent player for a total crock. Funnily enough, after that I haven't bothered.

Comment

Fantasy NFL 2008

I've been proposed trades before, but I never have found them to be fair to me, and my counteroffers have always been rejected.

I had another league about three years ago that was students in my grad program, and we needed more players, so I invited my cousin and his father, and they had one trade with each other that was completely fair, but one of them was in second place and the guy that was in first raised all kinds of hell, and each of them complained to me about the other.

Comment

Fantasy NFL 2008

Well, that's my season going up in smoke in the typical fashion for this year, then:

4-1 CLE1 (1:09) P.Manning up the middle to CLE 1 for no gain (B.Pool). FUMBLES (B.Pool), recovered by IND-D.Clark at CLE 1. The Replay Assistant challenged the runner broke the plane ruling, and the play was Upheld.

With 3 minutes 40 left Peyton has 125 yards, no TDs and 2 INTs. Against Cleveland.

Over and out.

Comment

Fantasy NFL 2008

Yup, Manning's worst performance of the season, and only his second without a touchdown, along with Indianapolis's lowest points score. What with this, Histon and the head cold it's been a lovely day.

Comment

Fantasy NFL 2008

That's a heartbreaker, Statto.

For future seasons, do the rules allow for wildcards? Say a 6th (ot 7th and 8th) playoff teams based on the highest points outside of those who qualify on their Won-Loss record?

Comment

Fantasy NFL 2008

Appreciated, Phoebe.

It certainly does feel like World of the Strange when you can post the second highest points total in the league and still be marooned in seventh, two whole wins away from the playoffs, especially when, unlike the real sport, there's nothing you can do to influence your opposition's performance like concentrate harder on defense.

Having put that much effort in to no avail, and it being the first time in five years I haven't made it into the top three, you'll appreciate I had to do just a little statting to try to make sense of it all.

Seems the decisive factor was not so much lots of high scores against me, but rather no low scores. Rounding to the nearest integer, I only had one score below 75 all season, a 68 that lost to a 74 in week five. However, my opponents only went below 70 twice, a 64 and a 65 in weeks seven and eight. I won both times. My remaining four wins came against a 78, an 87, a 95 and a 100.

Of the three teams that finished just above me on 8-5, Funky and the Crimewave both faced 7 scores below 70, while Badh faced 6. Five of my losses came when I scored in the seventies and a sixth when I got 85.

Obviously, it's not like teams raised their game when they played me. I've just walked into one statistically vicious season. Especially given that the NFL itself espouses the "best loser" principle with wild cards, I've got some solid sympathy with Phoebe's suggestion, though I don't know if it's diluting the appealing weekly matchup format too much (I guess it's highly statistically unlikely for this to happen again) nor if Yahoo lets you adjust a league that finely. I would imagine the required "IF..." calculation is a bit beyond a free game. I do play in a free league over on www.fleaflicker.com, though, and it is just the sort of tweak they might offer.

Comment

Fantasy NFL 2008

Seems like my season is at an end. I've got to hope that deAngelo Williams goes off injured the first time he touches the ball, and the defender I have playing scores a few points. Bummer.

By the way, do we have to have kickers? This is not in any way sour grapes, as I think over the years I've scored more than conceded at that position, but it always seems to me like a virtual lottery. You're betting on whether the offence gets stopped a few times in the last 40 metres of the pitch. Dunno, I've always found it a bit of a ridiculous part of the game.

Still, congrats to whoever runs Funky Reclamation and good luck to the remaining genuine OTFers in the contest.

Comment

Fantasy NFL 2008

So, no then.

Comment

Fantasy NFL 2008

Wrong night to face DeAngelo Williams, that's for sure.

Sorry ad-hoc, but at least you've made the playoffs the past few years.

Kickers are necessary. Bizarre when you really think about it, absolutely absurd when you really really think about it...but definitely part of the game. Look at the 1991 NFC Championship: NY Giants 15:13 SF 49ers. Earlier that season, the Giants played the Niners and lost 7-3. They had 4 Fourth-and-1s, and went for it on all of them. They failed on all of them.

In the championship, Parcells learned his lesson and kicked the damn field goals. Same result: the field goal he made from the first game, plus 4 more for the win. The Niners failed in their chance to three-peat, losing to a team that didn't even score a TD.

Comment

Fantasy NFL 2008

I think kickers are more essential than IDPs...but I love how IDPs throw a random element into the mix. You can have Julius Peppers, Ray Lewis, and Troy Polamalu as your three IDPs, and get maybe 3 points from all three of them, and then three nobodies available to pickup had a combined 5 sacks, 2 INTs, 1 fumble recovery, and a defensive touchdown.

Comment

Fantasy NFL 2008

Not that random. Okay, the way Yahoo handles the IDP rankings is way beyond bizarre, but the cream usually rises (at least in fantasy terms). I picked up James Harrison at the beginning of the season, based on last season's performance, and has been one of my most consistant performers (he's posted over 10 points four or five times), is the highest defensive scorer in the league by a distance (91 points, almost 10 clear of DeMarcus Ware), and has only scored points on tackles, sacks, interceptions and fumbles.

My defense have picked up about 200 points between them, and apart from bye weeks, I've only changed my defense three times.

Comment

Fantasy NFL 2008

Fuck me--left Pierre Thomas' 24 points on the bench. Purple Jesus and Derrick Ward are going to have to make that up for me.

Comment

Fantasy NFL 2008

Picked up Kevin Faulk on waivers. Didn't use him. Went with Portis. Season Over.

Comment

Fantasy NFL 2008

It was a tough matchup, Nish. Neither of us did really well. Once again, Minnesota's defense saved my ass.

Comment

Fantasy NFL 2008

Still close in the other semi, with just one player left each. 1.5 points the difference, and a kicker v a defender.

Comment

Fantasy NFL 2008

Alright, this is the matchup we all wanted. #1 v. #2. Both had close games in the semis. The Shitehawks come in on a 3 game win streak, the Bobos have won 5 in a row. Something's got to give.

Comment

Fantasy NFL 2008

Whaddaya mean "we", white man ?

Hey, congrats. As long as it's not Funky V Reading Stranglers again (I mean it's incredibly shameful having these chaps from the British Isles beat our asses year after year.)

Comment

Fantasy NFL 2008

jason voorhees wrote:
                                                  (I mean it's incredibly shameful having these chaps from the British Isles beat our asses year after year.)
                                                  Er, okay...I guess that means I definitely need to win to bring the trophy back.

Comment

Fantasy NFL 2008

And typically - typically - I piss over everyone just when it matters least. Sulk.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X