No flashy title - Fed Cup / Davis Cup 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wouldn't normally start a thread here in Sport, but then I don't normally get to say I'll be attending year-opening ties in both the ladies' and men's versions of sporting events in a given year, and these events don't fit in really with either the British tennis thread or the seasonal individual Grand Slam threads as they come around. Plus, this way I get to brag about who I'm going to meet this coming Friday.

On Friday the Fed Cup begins - well, the draws for the first fixtures do - whilst the Davis Cup starts in March. Having apparently impressed the selectors last year after being called in for late cover, I've been asked to cover both of Argentina's home ties in said contests. In the Davis, the men are playing Brazil, which should make for a good atmosphere and much fun to be had even though Juan Martín Del Potro will not of course be involved, much to the chagrin of most Argentine tennis fans.

But before that, I'm heading off for a long weekend in Pilar this week, to see my friends (I'm certain they won't remember me) Paula Ormaechea and Mery Irigoyen of Argentina host Paula's childhood heroes the USA in World Group II. Well, Paula's childhood heroes aren't the USA as a country, but rather two of the players making up their team - because in news that's surprised everyone all round and got the Asociación Argentina de Tenis scrambling for an extra stand of temporary seating at what is a tiny little stadium, Serena and Venus Williams have been confirmed in the US team. Madison Keys is there too, but it's not hard to see why everyone here is getting a bit giddy - and no offence to her, but it's not because of her. To be clear, I'm not bragging that I'll be seeing them play; as a journalist covering the tie for the official Fed Cup website, I'm going to be bloody well interviewing them after each day's play. Last year I was nervous at being found out as a first-timer tennis-wise. Right now I'm just ludicrously excited at the prospect.

In the World Group it's Canada v 2014 Fed Cup winners Czech Rep, Italy v France, Poland v Russia and 2014 beaten finalists Germany v Australia, whilst World Group II is all European aside from my date with the Williamses: Netherlands v Slovakia, Romania v Spain and Sweden v Switzerland. In one way, Argentina - who are punching above their weight just to be in World Group II for a second straight year - might feel a bit unfortunate to have drawn the States and then in addition to that, have ended up with Serena and Venus to compete with following the USA's relegation last year, but having talked to the two main players and the captain last year I suspect they'll be wanting to enjoy the challenge rather than feeling sorry for themselves. It'll also be a slightly melancholic tie (well the dinner the evening before the draw will be) because since the last Fed/Davis Cup ties for Argentina last year, the head of the AAT has died. I can't say much about that, except I had to ask him where to find something during last year's tie and he went out of his way (literally) to help me with it, which is the polar opposite of what the high-up Argentine FA official I had to deal with during the 2011 Copa América was like.

Anyway, that's why I won't be sleeping much this week. What matches are you all looking forward to?

In the Davis Cup World Group, the tie of the round (although all British attention will be focussed on us v the USA) has to be Serbia v Croatia. I'd imagine the atmosphere for that one will be charged, to say the least.

Comment

Of the court, probably. There will be more camaraderie on it, what with Cilic and Troicki both back from drug bans that CAS cut as it felt their degree of fault had been overstated.

Czechs play Canada in the Fed Cup. When Genie Bouchard was asked, after her Aussie Open loss, if she was playing, she didn't know and asked her agent to tell her!
      As that article also notes, no Kvitova in the Czech team. Which is highly unusual. In fact very few of the established names, as no Safarova or Koukalova either. But the depth of Czech Women's Tennis means it is still a decent side, albeit a young one, featuring Karolina Pliskova (#20), Tereza Smitkova (#68) and Denisa Allertova (#107). And then some experience in Lucie Hradecka (#23 in Doubles, #142 singles but a recent win over Ana Ivanovic to boost her confidence). Will be marginal favourites if Bouchard plays, and heavy favourites if she doesn't.

Comment

That's grand, Sam.

Great exposure for you.

Just don't ask either of them to "twirl".

You might want to have children some day.

Comment

The big girls might be waiting until Saturday until they start their World Group matches, but for those minnow nations (like Britain) it all kicks off, or at least the Euro/Asian zone group I does, on Wednesday in Budapest. The British team should have a confident no.1 in Heather Watson, not so sure of Jo Konta at second string, though.
          The Doubles team of Rae/Smith warmed up for this by winning a $10k tournament in Sunderland last week. But that doesn’t prove a lot, their opponents in the Final were a Polish/Swedish pair who were ranked 246 and 421 respectively. And these two were the events second seeds! So no huge playing challenge and the points for a $10k are chump change to players inside the world top 100, but it still counts as a useful exercise as a Fed Cup tune-up. Time on a match court always trumps time on a practice one.

Britain’s schedule is;
          Weds vs Liechtenstein
          Thurs vs Turkey
          Fri vs Ukraine

Liechtenstein are doing well to even have a team, but in fact they have one reasonably handy player in Stephanie Vogt in their ranks. She is basically on her own, though, as only one other of their team has any form of World Ranking. Should be comfortable for Britain
          Turkey are not much better, despite having several thousand times the population of the micro-state. No.1 Cagla Buyukakcay is OK, but the rest are ranked outside the top 250. Again, Britain really ought to win this.
          Ukraine is a whole ‘nother matter. Their fourth string player is Olga Savchuk, who is ranked 225 and has been inside the top 100. And she is a strong Doubles player, currently ranked 57 in that discipline. Svitolina would be favourite to beat Watson and Tsurenko likewise to beat Konta, so Britain have their work cut out here.

And if they get past Ukraine and top the group, Belarus and Vika Azarenka probably await. Other reasonably well known names plugging away in pretty obscure circumstances are Kirsten Flipkens and Yanina Wickmayer (Belgium), Tsevtana Pironkova (Bulgaria), Donna Vekic and Ana Konjuh (Croatia), Shahar Peer (Israel) and Aleksandra Krunic (Serbia). N.B. Serbia could play Croatia in Fed Cup as well, they are in Groups A and D respectively, the winners of which will meet for a promotion spot. But that probably wouldn’t have the same atmosphere, being held in Hungary.

Comment

Britain have Liechtenstein beat! Konta got a double bagel and Watson a very comfortable win over Vogt. Just the doubles to play with Rae/Smith fresh and the Liechtensteiners, um, pretty fresh themselves given neither player played for long in her singles.

Meanwhile, on the next court, Turkey-Ukraine is into a decisive doubles after Buyukakcay shocked Svitolina. The right results in the two Doubles would make it a perfect day for the British team.

Over in World Group news, Genie Bouchard will not play for Canada. She doesn't seem to care much about good PR, does she?

Whilst the Canada-Czech Rep tie is missing significant names, the other three World Group I ties have nearly full strength sides meaning some heavyweight match-ups are in the offing.

Code:
            Poland		vs	Russia
            A. Radwanska		Sharapova
            U. Radwanska		Kuznetsova
            Rosolska		Pavlyuchenkova
            Jans-Ignacik		Diatchenko

Italy		vs	France
            Errani			Cornet
            Giorgi			Garcia
            Vinci			Mladenovic
            Knapp			Parmentier

Germany		vs	Australia
            Kerber			Stosur
            Petkovic		Dellacqua
            Lisicki			Gajdosova
            Goerges			Rogowksa
            Poland:- National #1 and #2 at Singles and National #1 and #2 at Doubles, i.e. full strength
            Russia:- #1, #3, #4 and #6 at Singles [Russia are not what they once were, are they? 6th best player ranked in the 80s!] Also #4, #9 and #10 at Doubles, but only technically as Kuzy is rather better than the 9th best Russian Doubles player

Italy:- #1, #3, #4, #5 at Singles and 2x =#1 (in Italy and the World) and #4 in Doubles [Pennetta is the missing player]
            France:- totally full strength. #1-#4 in singles, who are also 4 of the top 6 French Doubles players

Germany:- #1, #2, #3, #6 in Singles, but probably out of choice (Goerges picked ahead of the higher ranked Barthel or Beck). #2-#4 in Doubles.
            Australia:- totally full strength. #1-#4 in singles, who are also 4 of the top 7 Australian Doubles players

Comment

The contrast when top players don't show.

Canada:- #3, #4, #6 #12 in Singles, #1 and #2 in Doubles at least
              Czech Rep:- #3, #7, #9, #10 in Singles, #5 and #6 in Doubles

Sam has already covered Serena and Venus playing for the States, and they have Madison Keys and Vavara Lepchenko alongside them as well, so the top four ranked American singles players currently (best of luck to Paula Ormaechea and friends!).
              The Williams sisters and Keys aren't the only top 25 players featuring in World Group II matches. Simona Halep and Garbine Muguruza both play in Romania vs Spain and Dominika Cibulkova is turning out for Slovakia away to the Netherlands.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: That's grand, Sam.

Great exposure for you.

Just don't ask either of them to "twirl".

You might want to have children some day.
                Or give it a whirl. Serena is in an oddly forgiving mood at the moment.

Comment

I won't be asking for any twirls - I'll only be getting audio interviews with them for the site, unless they're being really friendly and consent to answer a few questions on camera as well. It will take all my professionalism to not ask for a photo at some point over the weekend, though.*

Keys is out unfortunately (would've liked to see her as well, and was slightly curious to see whether she might have edged Venus out for the second singles role in the tie). The injury that hampered her last week in Australia means she's been replaced by CoCo Vandeweghe. Lepchenko too - Taylor Townsend's stepping in in her place.

The only thing anyone here cares about is that Serena's already here and has been practising in Pilar today.

Mary Joe Fernández is the captain of the US team as well, and gave an interview to La Nación yesterday in which she said she'd like to bump into Gaby Sabatini and reminisce a bit about the 1990s. So if I find a seat close enough to the Argentina team bench (last year against Japan I was basically sitting with them for most of the first day, but it's going to be rather more packed this time I suspect), and Sabatini turns up to watch, I might have a go at making that happen. Closest I got to any famous spectator sighting last year was when Gisela Dulko sat down in front of me with her and Fernando Gago's baby son in her arms.

A final piece of analysis on this tie is that both captains have the same first names: Mary Joe for the USA, María José for Argentina. I'm not sure what that means for the tie, but it can only be exciting.

Also the weather's rather better this week than last year. It might get as far as Sunday afternoon before it starts raining.

*So obviously I'll post it here when I've got it.

Comment

Can you ask Vandeweghe why she pronounces her surname Van-der-wee-ghee?!?

On second thoughts, probably a bad idea.

Coco is the American no.5 now. She is a really under-the-radar type. But still a part of the wave of new American female talent, even if her age places her more alongside Brengle, Riske and Oudin (i.e. first, somewhat smaller swell) rather than Stephens, Keys, Davis, Townsend.

Didn't Fernandez and Sabatini play Doubles together quite a lot? Or is my memory playing tricks. I've always assumed, from the surname, that Mary Joe speaks Spanish.

Comment

She's married to Juan Martín Del Potro's manager, apparently, and the interview I read in La Nación didn't seem to be translated (if it was, their tennis translators are much better than the football ones), so given all that plus the fact she's an American with a hispanic surname, I'd say there's a good chance. I'll let you know on Friday after I've spoken to her.

What I've heard (but haven't had the time to track down yet) is that Sabatini and Fernández played a quarter-final at Roland Garros one year in which Sabatini was on the verge of winning, 5-1 up in the second set, and ended up losing, and she was never quite the same after that. Seemingly there was never any bad feeling, though.

Comment

Ah here we are, the 1993 French Open. Fernández won 1-6 7-6 10-8 (having trailed 1-6 1-5 and with Sabatini missing out on five match points), and went on to make the final where she lost to Steffi Graf.

Comment

A thunderstorm is arriving in Buenos Aires as I type. The main court in Pilar is not covered. I hope it stops raining by Saturday morning...

Comment

Sam wrote: A final piece of analysis on this tie is that both captains have the same first names: Mary Joe for the USA, María José for Argentina. I'm not sure what that means for the tie, but it can only be exciting.
                            Do you know what Fernandez's birth certificate apparently says (according to wikiepdia)? Yep, that's right, María José. The mercury just exploded from the bulb.

Anyway...

Down among the deadmen, Britain have buggered it up, beaten by Turkey. Konta lost to Soylu 3-6 6-7(6) and Watson to Buyukakcay 2-6 6-3 5-7. It turns out that Ukraine winning yesterday's doubles (as they did) was a positive after all. Otherwise Turkey would have two wins from two and Liechtenstein to beat.
                            As it stands Britain could scrap through still, but it is imperative that Rae/Smith win the Doubles rubber against Turkey. That way Ukraine would be 2-0 (5-1), Britain 1-1 (4-2) and Turkey 1-1 (3-3) this evening. In that scenario they would probably still need to beat the Ukrainians 3-0, though 2-1 might lead to a complete three way tie (all of them on 2-1, 6-3)!

Comment

Rae and Smith save the day (somewhat). 2 & 1, following their 1 & 2 win on day 1.

So the group table reads thus

Ukraine 2-0 5-1
                              Britain 1-1 4-2
                              Turkey 1-1 3-3
                              Leichtenstein 0-2 0-6

Assuming Turkey beat Leichtenstein 3-0 (and they very well may not), it could all get very fiddly. Though the likeliest outcome remains Urakine beat Britain and cruise through.

Meanwhile there was a big name confrontation in one of the other groups - Azarenka vs Pironkova. Azarenka won 6-3 2-6 7-5.
                              Belarus are perfect so far, two 3-0 wins. They just need to win a string in their final match to top the pool. And that comes against Portugal, who are 0-2 1-5 so far. Not a great shock when they only have one singles player and no doubles players with rankings less than 500.

Comment

Janik wrote:
                                Originally posted by Sam
                                A final piece of analysis on this tie is that both captains have the same first names: Mary Joe for the USA, María José for Argentina. I'm not sure what that means for the tie, but it can only be exciting.
                                Do you know what Fernandez's birth certificate apparently says (according to wikiepdia)? Yep, that's right, María José. The mercury just exploded from the bulb.
                                I'm interviewing her in just over 10 hours, and I don't think there's any possible way I'll be able to avoid bringing it up now you've told me that.

Comment

Live stream for the Britain-Ukraine tie, if anyone has the time to watch.

My brief dip in just now had Konta up an early break on Tsurenko, 3-2 in the first.

Comment

She didn't let up, winning 6-3 6-2. Tsurenko is a top 100 player, so this is a good scalp. Britain have distinct hope now. Need to either win both remain strings or one of them in straight sets.

Comment

Heather Watson won't be doing it, she lost the opening set 6-2 to Svitolina. She has just gone a break up, 3-2 in set no.2 though.
                                      Very worth battling on as things stand. Whilst a 2-0 win that would have rendered the doubles academic has gone, a 2-1 win means Britian would just need a set in the deciding rubber to get through. And a 2-1 defeat would give Rae/Smith the breathing space of being able to drop a set and still get a result that sees their side progress.

Comment

Won't Turkey have a chance in the tie breaker too, if GB win 2-1? They look to be brushing Liechtenstein aside.

Comment

Svitolana has just broken back.

Comment

Watson breaks again.

Comment

Watson is broken again, from 40-0 up. But now has another break point. Tense tennis.

Comment

Double fault to gift it away again by Elina. Very tense Tennis.

This set is the difference between Britain needing to win two sets out of two or two sets out of four. i.e. massive.

Comment

Etienne wrote: Won't Turkey have a chance in the tie breaker too, if GB win 2-1? They look to be brushing Liechtenstein aside.
                                                  Too far behind on set count. They are certain to finish behind one of Britain or Ukraine, even if they win all their matches 2-0.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X