A New Error? All things Rugby League, 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super League have decided its time to launch the new season, and who am I to argue, so here begins an all purpose RL thread for 2015.

As previously documented, this season marks the start of an official New Era, and I'm not going to go through what that means all over again, it will become apparent as the season goes on.

Aside from divisional format shenanigans, we can also look forward to:
    - The first Magic Weekend to be staged in the North East
    - The Championship's own, slightly lower rent version in Blackpool
    - An expanded World Club Challenge with three NRL teams heading over in a few weeks
    - A three game England v New Zealand series, venues still to be announced (never a good sign)
    - Wigan playing a home game in London
    - Gateshead Thunder crossing the river to become Newcastle Thunder
    - Coventry Bears entering the fray

I haven't thought much about the NRL but the warm up starts next week with the Auckland Nines. There is danger this year that the NRL will move further away from the rest of the game, as it pursues an ever bigger TV deal.

I can't wait until the end of the year when I finally move back up north and can watch as much RL as I (or my southern missus) can handle.

Comment

I'm confused. Will the 8 clubs who qualify for the "super 8s" have their points re-set to zero, or do they carry forward points from the first 23 games?

Comment

Is the Magic Weekend some kind of steroid-fueled rave?

Comment

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote: I'm confused. Will the 8 clubs who qualify for the "super 8s" have their points re-set to zero, or do they carry forward points from the first 23 games?
          Yes, the top 8 go into the Super 8s, and have their points carried forward, so basically the Super 8s are an extended play off.

The middle 8 have their points reset, the Super League clubs have the advantage of four home games.

The bottom 8 carry their points forward and play off for a shield or something.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: Is the Magic Weekend some kind of steroid-fueled rave?
            Sort of yeah, DJ Spoony MC'd it last year (I kid ye not, unfortunately).

Comment

I'm so sorry

Comment

Are London Broncos still playing?

Comment

In the second tier

Comment

Went to Walney Central v Hunslet Parkside in the Challenge Cup first round yesterday.

It took a whole 15 seconds of the season before I heard the first "geddemonsiderefferee".

Comment

Seriously gutsy performance from Widnes in this opener with 12 men. Hope they get something out of the game.

Comment

Wow. That was fun. The ref didn't seem to help much when things got feisty - looked a bit like a rabbit in the headlights.

Comment

Not a bad game to start the season.

Hopefully that isn't a sign of things to come from refs this season, overly sensitive to any head strikes after the Flower incident.

Thought Tomkins was MoM at scrum half.

Also confirmed Farrel as the dirtiest bastard in the league. Pity Hanbury had a pop at Smith rather than him after the final try.

Comment

Decent enough start to the new season and my prediction at 16-0 to Wigan that this could be a cricket score provided to be as well wide of the mark as some of the James Childs' decisions.

The new season often starts like this, with the refs being told to clamp down on certain issues that previously would have gone if not unpunished, then somewhat less so. Patrick Ah Van's red was aggressive bordering on dangerous, but last season would have probably got 10 minutes in the bin, if anything. Past experience has shown that things usually calm down after a few games and the refs become less card happy. That said, Childs was pretty poor last night.

I wouldn't say necessarily that Liam Farrell was dirty, but how on earth he was able to get away in the second half with constantly holding down at the play the ball was a joke.

Comment

Childs isn't my favourite, but he's far, far better than Silverwood.

Get Jamie Bloem reffing in Super League. It'd be good to have a ref that the players were terrified of.

Comment

More refereeing stupidity in evidence at Craven Park this afternoon, with Ben Thaler (and Childs as touch judge) coming up with some extremely questionable decisions.

Still, an entertaining game, not one for the defensive purists though. Albert Kelly will be worth watching this year, very impressive debut from him.

Comment

Saints well on top at the Reds this evening at half time. Salford had a good chance right at the end there to pull a try back but Saints held out very strongly, in one case right on the line.

Comment

The strangely named "Fox Soccer Plus" channel on US cable (which also shows Aussie Rules, NRL, etc.) appears to be showing pretty much the entire Sky slate of matches over here, though at strange times.

Comment

Marwan Koukash: I have had enough...

Comment

Ref Silverwood in yet another shocking decision shock. Penalising Brett Ferres as he pulled out of a tackle and dropping to the floor with a supposed shoulder charge

Comment

Very nice try from the Giants there, with a sort of double slide to get the ball over the line. Came from some sloppy Wigan handling.

Comment

After scraping a draw with 12 man Widnes last week and now this first half, Wigan have been fairly average so far. Can't think that Brisbane will be overly concerned.

Comment

I've just turned over for the end of the Wigan game and Christ that pitch is in some state, presumably it hasn't just got like that tonight and the footballers can be blamed?

Comment

The pitch wasn't good from the start and just got worse as the evening went on so you can't blame the rugby for it.

To be fair to Wigan they improved markedly in the second half and it was Huddersfield who were making all kinds of errors at the end. They'll rue not taking their chances early in the 2nd half when they could have put the game to bed.

Hull 6 Warrington 7 sounds like a right proper battle.

Comment

The inaugural World (sic) Club Series is upon us. I suspect it may turn out to be short lived, as things in RL often are, but like the World Cup in 2013, I'm getting behind it the best I can - I'll be at Warrington tomorrow night and Saints on Sunday, and I'm looking forward to it, certainly more than I'm looking forward to Carlisle v Wycombe on Saturday.

Details are emerging at last of the England v New Zealand series in the autumn, and it looks like a cautious approach by the RFL - one game at the Olympic Stadium (while the posts are still up from the RUWC, very efficient), one at Hull and one at Wigan. All of this is 'reportedly' at this stage.

Shows a lack of belief on the RFL's part - thought we could have had Elland Road and the Etihad, and got close to filling them with decent price levels and promotion. Could have been worse though, wouldn't have put it past them to have gone for Doncaster and Salford. It just seems a shame that given that international RL is so hierarchical, we have two closely matched teams who have built up a good rivalry on the back of the Wembley and Dunedin games, it's got the makings of a great series and we should be pushing it bigger style.

*I keep saying 'we', but I don't work for the RFL or anything.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X