• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Creeping Militarization of UK sport continues

....Apace

this is flat out insane.

The Knights Hospitalier would like to have a word with these muppets.

Comment

The suggestion that you could wipe out fascism in britain with a well placed bomb at twickers comes to mind.

This is going to end up with anyone who wants to represent england having to tattoo a poppy on their face isn't it?

Comment

Come on, people. There is, after all, "a huge crossover between the VC and its history, and rugby."

Comment

I thought this was going to be about the Invictus Games.

Comment

I assumed that that was something to do with Kent.

Comment

Furtho wrote: Come on, people. There is, after all, "a huge crossover between the VC and its history, and rugby."
              I took that comment to be "we are resigned to this happening but remain open to the RFU giving some money to us".

Comment

I like that the article focuses on the offence caused to the victoria cross charity (what the fuck is that?) and not on what the thundering cunting fuck the victoria cross is doing on the england jersey.

Comment

Furtho wrote: Come on, people. There is, after all, "a huge crossover between the VC and its history, and rugby."
                  I can see that. Diving on an oval ball ahead of other similar sized hairy sweaty men is almost exactly like diving on top of a hand grenade to save your fellow soldiers whilst almost certainly killing yourself.

Comment

Sir Tasker Watkins is rolling over in his grave.

Comment

Creeping militarisation? Ha! You ain't seen nothing 'til your town's baseball team plays in camo, with a national flag on the sleeve, every Sunday

Comment

Surely, at some point, SOMEBODY in the whole design and QA process involved in that England shirt should have stopped and thought, "so we're appropriating the Victoria Cross? For England. To wear when we play Scotland, Wales, and Ireland, just to really rub it in?". Never mind the thunderingly poor taste to begin with of thinking "I know what, when Malcolm, the morbidly obese 45-year-old marketing executive from Bracknell, buys his next replica England top, let's put the fucking Victoria Cross on it, so he can show his affinity for the armed forces, too".

Comment

La Lanterne Rouge wrote: Creeping militarisation? Ha! You ain't seen nothing 'til your town's baseball team plays in camo, with a national flag on the sleeve, every Sunday

I get why they are doing this, to show support for the troops but my god camouflage uniforms are so fucking tacky.

Comment

It seems to be compulsory now in US team sports to have a veteran (in the military sense) presented to the crowd at some point during the game to take a standing ovation. I've not seen that done over here (in that form), but there is a tendency to have soldiers bringing out trophies and flags before big games. Rugby League is keen on this, for some reason.

Comment

And there was this from the Wire:

Comment

Benson's beds are for people with bad diarrhoea?

Comment

Walt Flanagans Dog wrote: It seems to be compulsory now in US team sports to have a veteran (in the military sense) presented to the crowd at some point during the game to take a standing ovation. I've not seen that done over here (in that form), but there is a tendency to have soldiers bringing out trophies and flags before big games. Rugby League is keen on this, for some reason.
                                  It's an extension of the commentator cliche "It's like the Somme out there!", I guess.
                                  No, it's not. In fact, it is incredibly fucking disrespectful to say that.

Comment

extraordinary violence, people drowning in mud as they make their way over an absurdly pockmarked surface, the abandonment of all humanity in the grinding pursuit of victory? it almost sounds like the chelsea 1-2 barcelona game from 2006. If jose thought he could have got away with barbed wire and machine gun emplacements he probably would have.

Comment

The "Salute the Troops" stuff in the U.S. is insane. I've complained about it on OTF before, but I watch sports to have a little break from the outside world, so I find it very tedious and unpleasant when instead I'm reminded of one of our endless wars at halftime.

Comment

Working...
                                      X