No announcement yet.

I want to buy a road bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By the way, it's absolutely glorious cycling conditions today. I added an extra 10 miles to my normal weekday lap because it's just a perfect hint-of-crispness, clear blue skies, low humidity, tiniest hint of autumnal colour on the trees sort of day. Work can wait on a day like today if I can ride a bit more.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
      So that's the solution if I want a Wilier? Buy the discounted Astana one and then pay someone to remove all the Astana branding.
      Can you not customise the word Astana.? By, say, adding At L before it, and ttack after it, and inserting a small comma between the t and the a?

Comment

I just don't understand why SB would want a former pro's bike given that his body type is completely different

Although I do appreciate that owning multiple residences does demand decorating choices that I would consider extreme

Comment

Great news. Are you down on the drops with the fragile wrist? Which makes me realise that I now no longer remember if UK bikes have the front or rear derailleurs on the left hand side? I know Britain switches the brake cables compared to the US (and I think Europe).
          I don't spendu much time on the drops anyway, tbh, but yes, no issues with grip in any position.

Front derailleur on left.

My positive mood abruptly ended when I got changed to ride home this afternoon and had a rear puncture leaving the campus car park...

Comment

At least if the front derailleur is left, then your left hand struggling to shift is the one used less frequently.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
              I just don't understand why SB would want a former pro's bike given that his body type is completely different

Although I do appreciate that owning multiple residences does demand decorating choices that I would consider extreme
              You are just disappointed there isn't a lucrative market for pro lawyers pens and tombstones. All that matters really is the frame size / positioning, though I am a little surprised how many of the larger framesets are available given the nature of cycling favoring the smaller. It would also realize the fact that while it is the fastest San B can go on the bike, it certainly isn't the fastest it can go or has been.

I have a white bike and a black bike btw. Combined cost of which was a fraction of San B's groupset.

Comment

At least if the front derailleur is left, then your left hand struggling to shift is the one used less frequently.
                Indeed- I wondered why I hadn't noticed it on the Sunday test ride, but that was on the Bianchi cross bike and I obviously stayed in the small ring the whole time

Now to discover how my left shapes up changing a tire...

Comment

I just realized I have a third bike. It is also black, but peloton don't really offer much customization (given mrs dglh's work schedule it has replaced the alternative of the gym when people are sleeping in the alley to access it)

Comment

I am very much enjoying this series

https://twitter.com/cycling_podcast/status/1587174340260413441?t=mlDcGi6QP8ZJD3n6CGlpxA&s=19

Comment

Was just riding between Annan and Gretna late this afernoon...

Comment

Originally posted by Felicity, I guess so View Post
                        Was just riding between Annan and Gretna late this afernoon...
                        Eloping?

Comment

Far too late for that. And I rode back again

Comment

I rode today with my old San Diego bike group, north along the coast to Carlsbad. 60 miles all told, beautiful sunshine looking down over the cliffs and the surf and surfers, then back up the hill at Torrey Pines and through UCSD. It would have been completely delightful but I didn’t realise I had a massive tailwind heading north so went way too hard on the first half and really suffered into the headwind home. My legs are tired. I couldn’t even finish one beer at the end.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                              I’m saving those episodes for a binge while I’m disengaged from football.

Comment

What's the best response to someone complimenting your bike? Humblebrag I know. Is it just a thank you?

Comment

"Yeah! I absolutely fucking love it!" provided that you've done nothing special to it and it's just factory condition;

Or "It's not bad, but I really want a... [insert something unattainable here];

Or "Your bike's nice too" if their bike is nice.

Inappropriate is to say "this is just my beater bike. I don't bring my good bike out when conditions are like this"

Comment

“Nah, my awesome power just makes it look good.”

Comment

Haha. They are right though. It is lovely.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregario View Post
                                        What's the best response to someone complimenting your bike?
                                        You mean when someone comes up to your bike and rubs your crossbar and says "Nice tubing"?

Comment

When they do that you say "It's stiff and responsive and gives a lovely ride"

Comment

I bought a new bike over the weekend. I know I should only use my LBS, but I bought a mail-order one from Walmart because it was remaindered and comically discounted and is cheaper than anything I could even find second hand. It cost less than 2% what my road bike cost. I just rode it to the beach for sunset. It is a piece of shit, but it's a functional piece of shit that friends who visit can use when we ride to the bars and restaurants around here.

Comment

How's the new bike? Is it still in one piece?

What bikes look ok with rear paniers? I'm in the n+1 zone and trying to think of something practical rather than a cross bike or the eddy merckx criterium (which is not expensive but would involve going to Belgium).

Comment

The new bike has survived so far, but it’s only been ridden a handful of blocks yet.

Any bike that has eyelets for panniers looks OK with them as far as I’m concerned. But what is the purpose of your panniers? For comfortable riding and if you’re not planning on carrying large volumes of stuff, I really like my frame bag. If you’re carrying papers or nicely folded clothes to work, panniers are probably right. But if you’re carrying a bunch of heavy stuff and liquids, a frame bag may make more sense.

Comment

Yeah, it would mostly be for commuting, so clothes, laptop and occasionally tools.

Comment

It's a me problem but I find bikes with racks aesthetically unpleasing

Comment

Working...
                                                    X