I want to buy a road bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Levin View Post
    Thanks you. I feel really stupid saying this but I'm going to let aesthetics trump safety and go for rims rather than discs. I can't get over how disc bikes look.
    The correct answer. Though you got here by an interesting path. The correct answer was "all Italian". As a steel Cinelli should be.

Comment

Oh I got a campag disc priced up as well. But disc brakes really aren't what I see when I imagine a road bike

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
        Oh I got a campag disc priced up as well. But disc brakes really aren't what I see when I imagine a road bike
        It is a Cinelli. A huge amount it about it looking precisely like you think it should. Until ten or fifteen years ago, hundreds of riders going at way crazier speeds than you will did *fine* with rim brakes. Go with what gets your vibes going - as others say, you will ride it more (maybe not in winter, but it isn't that bike anyway).

Comment

Meantime I bid some guy down to $200 for a pretty non-descript modern fixie with a flip-flop hub.

Then I saw the Cinelli one is on sale for about $500. There is $1000 or so in the bank account that was for the old mortgage. Life is uncomfortable.

Comment

Having 3 kids is expensive when it comes to bikes. They've all grown out of their bikes now. So Santa is giving them new bikes for Christmas. Our oldest's would fit either of our twins, but that would mean buying a new bike for just one of them, and that's not really fair. At least the oldest's new bike is an adult size so she shouldn't outgrow it, unless she hits a massive growth spurt and she needs to move up a frame.

We'll still be looking at new bikes for the little ones some years down the road. I'd like to try to clear out space in the garage and get a workbench, and I've always been interested in trying to do a restoration project on an old bike. Maybe I can get some work on that before they need a new one. I think it would be really cool to pass down a nicely rebuilt mixte to my daughter and an old 80s hardtail to my son.

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
              Having 3 kids is expensive when it comes to bikes. They've all grown out of their bikes now. So Santa is giving them new bikes for Christmas. Our oldest's would fit either of our twins, but that would mean buying a new bike for just one of them, and that's not really fair. At least the oldest's new bike is an adult size so she shouldn't outgrow it, unless she hits a massive growth spurt and she needs to move up a frame.

We'll still be looking at new bikes for the little ones some years down the road. I'd like to try to clear out space in the garage and get a workbench, and I've always been interested in trying to do a restoration project on an old bike. Maybe I can get some work on that before they need a new one. I think it would be really cool to pass down a nicely rebuilt mixte to my daughter and an old 80s hardtail to my son.
              You totally should. It will mean an awful lot to everyone - they see you work on it and how important it is to you as a gift for them.

A guy who has been doing work round our place (independently of here) refers to my house having a "Garage Mahal". It is rather large, though we did look at a house that had an NYC style car elevator in its garage. No idea why some people do such dumb shit in their houses.

Comment

LBS has unhelpfully put a new Emonda ALR6 in its window. Discs, Ultegra... but mostly, the paint job...

Genuinely tempted to ransack the attic and see how much of my life's accumulated detritus I can flog to get within a shooting chance of the asking price.
                Last edited by Mumpo; 12-12-2020, 11:40.

Comment

Didn't ransack the attic and see how much of my life's accumulated detritus I could flog to get within a shooting chance of the asking price.

Did, however, just drag my skaggiest bike (the one with the worn-out mech and the brake blocks the width of a Garibaldi biscuit) out the back of the shed and ride it up the local col in rain and mist. Who needs flashy new bikes huh.

Comment

Like the look of that Trek. Get the cash from the attic.

Comment

Cinelli have just launched a new historical website ( I know cos I get their weekly emails)

https://www.cinellivintage.it/?lang=en
                      Last edited by Felicity, I guess so; 22-01-2021, 09:30.

Comment

Indoor cycling stuff: I downloaded Fulgaz today. I've been using Zwift with my Wahoo so far this winter, but I never really got into the game-ified side of things. I didn't do group rides, and only occasionally chased people down. Fulgaz seems to be a solo ride thing, but you have a much wider range of routes and it's all actually video rather than CGI. Today I cycled most of the way up the Swiss side of the Stelvio (and am absolutely fucked after maintaining 265W for an hour). And I'm very impressed.

Has anyone else used it? Or used Rouvy, which I think is the other alternative?

Comment

What wahoo stuff do you have? Is it the kickr? Sorry, if you've told us before.

I'm getting impatient for a bike. I keep browsing, thankfully I'm too tall for most of the brands I look at or they don't have a UK distributor or the lead time is as long as my future Cinelli. I have been verrry taken by this. Cheap enough to be a day to day run around. Sadly, they hit two of my three disqualifying features. The made to measure ones of course don't have the size problem but would take forever and involve a trip to Belgium.

I'm a little tempted by the Cannondale CAADX or the Fuji Cross. But I can't really justify the money if I've got a bike coming in a few months time, and I wont have the space then either. Oh, and I don't do Cross, but I guess if I had a cross bike I could do.

Comment

Yeah, I've got the Kickr. My chain's a little clunky on it - I've got a 10 speed derailleur and the Wahoo is automatically shipped with an 11 speed cassette. I had a super-cheap 10 speed spare cassette, but it's an MTB one with a 42 tooth dinner plate as the lowest gear and I can't get everything to shift smoothly. But that aside, it's a fantastic piece of kit - the reactive resistance coming from the incline in the app creates such a realistic experience.

Comment

Is the Cinelli on order yet, or is it still wishful thinking?

Comment

It's on order. There is a bit of waiting list. And, you'll not believe this but the factory in Milan only got back to work after Christmas in mid January and they aren't the best at getting back to my bike shop to confirm stuff.

Comment

This is very annoying and dumb.

Comment

I saw a Raleigh badged fixie with a Laser style frame. Was that a thing?

I'm also surprised at how many Peugeot frames I see (all old) about.y first bike was a green Peugeot MTB. Are Peugeot's harder wearing or just more attractive for a vintage look?

it looks like the college has backed down GY. The official route looks ridiculous.

Comment

I'm considering buying a hybrid bike as a means of getting me off my expanding arse more frequently.

Are the Boardman brand bikes any good? They're around budget and look OK to my untrained eye.

Comment

I understand they are perfectly fine. How far would it be for you to cycle to the office (it wouldn’t ease anxiety - just change it from dying of COVID to dying of car)

Comment

I recently added one of these to the bikes - single gear makes it real easy to run, it is cheap enough that it doesn’t matter and no one would really care to steal it and it has a flip-flop hub so is currently set to freewheel as I have to tow one of the kids.

Single gear is a real lesson back to being a kid - attacking hills is mandatory.

Comment

It's only around 7 miles which is eminently doable. However the shower arrangements at work aren't great which is an issue for a relentlessly clean person.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                                              I recently added one of these to the bikes - single gear makes it real easy to run, it is cheap enough that it doesn’t matter and no one would really care to steal it and it has a flip-flop hub so is currently set to freewheel as I have to tow one of the kids.

Single gear is a real lesson back to being a kid - attacking hills is mandatory.

Ooh that's pretty. I've got a singlespeed (also with a flipflop hub but like fuck am I ever going to use it as a fixie in this city. I need to be able to brake) for one of the same reasons: it's less maintenance to worry about. It would still absolutely get nicked if I left it anywhere unlocked, because I live in Buenos Aires. And we have no hills here, so gears aren't needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post

Ooh that's pretty. I've got a singlespeed (also with a flipflop hub but like fuck am I ever going to use it as a fixie in this city. I need to be able to brake) for one of the same reasons: it's less maintenance to worry about. It would still absolutely get nicked if I left it anywhere unlocked, because I live in Buenos Aires. And we have no hills here, so gears aren't needed.
                                                Oh, I am pretty sure if I left it unlocked it would go. At the gym or a few places (outside ice cream store etc, particularly with a kid trailer attached) less so. I have a mini-adjustable spanner in my bag incase things go wrong (one time the rear wheel wasn't tight enough and the torque pulled it misaligned).

Today I learned riding with a 40lb ruck to the gym for a workout is also horrible for cycling.

Toby - that sucks they haven't sorted out a shower set-up for cyclists. I thought that was becoming almost standard in London.

Comment

Oh, there are shower arrangements. They're in the basement and they are fucking horrible, which is my issue with them.

Comment

Of course, neither of the two Boardmans I like are actually available at present. OF COURSE.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X