No announcement yet.

I want to buy a road bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ive gone off carbon frames a bit since cracking one in a fairly minor spill.

a really good alu one would be my choice.

i upgraded my roadbike with better mid range wheels not silly priced. my mate spent 1000 on a set of wheels but he isnt good enough for them to make a difference

Comment

So, Di2 then...

Does anybody here have it, and do you feel its worth it? I'd be particularly interested to hear if anyone has converted a traditional system over to Di2 on an existing bike (rather than buying a bike with the system in place already) as I'm thinking about investing in it for my main road bike.

​​​​​​I'll be looking at Ultegra parts, and run a 2x11 setup. I don't have internal cable routing, so would like to know if that's a disadvantage or not too.

Comment

I've not done it. People I know who use it says that it shifts much more cleanly and crisply. But I feel that they're better (and more precious) riders than I am. I can handle slightly clunky transmission, and am also a bit irrationally comfortable with mechanical cabling that can be fixed - even though I never actually fiddle with my own gears without making things worse.

Comment

Yes, I know what you mean about tinkering with gears - part of me thinks switching to 1x11 might be a simpler and therefore better option, and like you I'm extremely tolerant of the shifts currently not being 100% accurate.

Comment

Hello I'm an idiot. I've just got my bike out of storage where it's been for 2-3 years now. It looks pretty good considering but could do with a service (which my bike shop can do mid June). However, the first thing I've done when I've got back home is to look at new bikes.

This is one of the few things that makes me regret being tall. My bike is a 2012 Canondale CAAD10 size 63 (reach 399, stack 622). It's a real struggle to fine other frames that size.

The XL version of this cinelli has a stack of 595 and a reach of 399 59cm frame. How much would I notice that 27mm difference in stack? But that's larger than most XL bikes from Cinelli (and other manufacturers). This beautiful bike is 571 stack 400 reach again 59cm frame.

I don't really have the money at the moment, or the space. But it would be nice to dream.
            Last edited by Levin; 23-05-2020, 13:12.

Comment

Reach and stack. No idea. I'm a novice!

Comment

https://rideonmagazine.com.au/how-to...ack-and-reach/

Comment

It appears to have been introduced since bikes stopped having horizontal top tubes. It allows for some comparison between quite different frames.

I got back on my bike for the first time in a couple of years yesterday and it felt so good. A bit wobbly but that was to be expected. The bike really does need a full service, there seems to be a bit more friction on everything, but I've booked that in (next appointment was 9th June). It's not dangerous though, just sluggish. God, bicycles are amazing.

I've almost got myself convinced that I won't fit on a 59cm cinelli and that I don't have the money or space. I am going to see how much it would cost to replace my current 18 speed Tiagra with a 22 speed 105.

I'm also wondering if FIGS has bought the new Euskatel jersey yet or if they were waiting to see them on the road first.

Comment

"A bit more friction on everything" feels like my bike ride today. It was the usual easy Sunday ride, south round the bay and taking ferry back across. And a very enjoyable, leisurely ride it was. There were absolutely tons of people on the bike path section past the salt flat in Imperial Beach - everyone was out on Memorial Day with their families. It was good to see. There was one manic small pack of 4 riders who were behaving like idiots swerving through small gaps between slower riders with the front guy down on his tri-bars (it's always the tri-dogs who are worst). The sun was out but it wasn't too hot. There was a light breeze which meant for a gentle headwind for the last 10 miles. They'd finally put the big ferry back on, after having the little one running for the last 6 months. It makes social distancing much easier, but that wasn't a big problem because there were only about 10 of us on the boat.

But the bike was making some squeaky and creaky noises, and more of them the further I rode. I put some new chain lube on last week. It was one of the high-tech wax based lubes that the bike shops rave about. People always tell me how great the wax lubes are, but every time I use one the bike starts creaking and squeaking after one or two rides. I am totally unconvinced and will now have to give everything a good wipe down and return to a more trad oil based lube. Has anyone had any luck with the waxy ones?

Comment

Yes, waxy lubes have worked quite well for me, but Muc-Off Ceramic is my lube of choice for the dry-weather bike. Quite pricey, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post

I'm also wondering if FIGS has bought the new Euskatel jersey yet or if they were waiting to see them on the road first.
                        I hadn’t even picked up on the news, Levin and am glad to see the orange is back but am not a big fan of brand new anything (or of 80€ jersey prices.
                        Funnily enough I did buy the shorts last year in the Prendas sale- they look identical to the Euskadi ones I got anyway. I love the fit of Etxe Ondo and all my Euskaltel ones were getting a bit worn out. Jerseys last longer so I’ve still got 2 of them on the go.
                        Here it is:

Comment

That mannequin looks like he's pulling his shorts out of his crack.

Also, no normal humans could wear those - they are built for the legs of 54kg Colombian climbers, not for people with actual thighs.

Comment

I once stayed in a basque-owned hostal in Madrid and they had one of Iban Mayo’s jerseys hanging on the stairs. It looked like a 10-year-old’s.
                            Luckily they do make them in XL

Comment

Rapha kit might be nice but I think my best all time clothing purchase has been a Castelli gabba jersey. I got it out for the first time in ages yesterday and boy does it do the job in the current UK conditions.

Comment

Best all time clothing purchase?

A black Marcello Bergamo winter jacket that was on sale for less than ?100, and most importantly, fits perfectly.

Comment

A ?5 dhb headband that stops my forehead getting a rash from my helmet.

Comment

It was probably a pair of Trek cold weather lobster gloves that I must have owned for 20 odd years now and are still the best thing I own for chilly rides.

Either that, or my first pair of bib-shorts where I suddenly realised why everyone wears them.

Comment

I got a pair of Assos bib shorts in a Falkirk charity shop for a fiver but various bits of Etxe Ondo gear in Euskaltel colours over the years have proved to be worth what they charge for them in terms of comfort and durability. Not that I’ve ever paid RRP except maybe for socks.

Comment

An interesting bike:

Comment

My best bit of cycling clothing I've bought is an Army Cycling Union jersey. It's black with ARMY on it in massive red letters, and you get noticeably fewer idiots shouting at you from car windows as they go past - in fact they tend to give me the thumbs up, or strike up conversations when stopped at the lights.

Comment

My single piece lens Endura glasses. The only bit of kit I've ever bought in the 'pro' rather than the 'regular' price range and they make all the difference. No slipping, no misting, three lens types, lovely.

Comment

Not really "proper" cycling gear, but I've gotten so much use out of my Endura Luminite 4-in-1 jacket. Wore it in one variation or another for about four months straight this winter.

Comment

Well fuck. I've broken my frame.

Comment

Accelerating from some lights and the rear went all wobbly. Stopped, checked for punctures, nothing. Carried on carefully.

Started hearing some clanking sounds down below, started working that it was my hub or possibly my bottom bracket. Maybe a spoke, but the spokes looked ok when I checked for punctures.

Finally is is see it, the right chain stay isn't attached to the derailleur hanger.

Fuck.

Comment

Ah this is the thread! Got a chance to ride my new baby yesterday. It's really quite lush. I haven't tried a really steep incline yet (there's only one in about a thirty mile area) but the electrics seem very cool. I may never need gears again ; )

Comment

Working...
                                                    X