Fairway cross the Mersey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fairway cross the Mersey

Looking forward to this as always. The last two Opens have been exceptional in terms of last-day swings of fortune and worthy champion golfers, so it's more futile than ever to predict a winner. I'd like to see Rory McIlroy win, only to see him have to eat his words about 'never being able to play links golf'. Ian Poulter will one day win the bloody thing, maybe this year. And Gangster Octopus's 'unknown yank' this week could be Jordan Spieth.

Fairway cross the Mersey

Just noticed that that's not happened much over the last few years.

Comment

Fairway cross the Mersey

The return of Tiger Woods is a fascinating feature of this Open, even assuming he won't be troubling the leaderboard. But then, he won the last Open played at Liverpool, in 2006, when his final round was a lesson in precision golf - with the winds blowing, he never used his, ehm, woods, in the whole round, teeing off with irons on every hole. He was in regulation for 17 of the 18 holes. Not a chance we'll see golf like that from Tiger this time around. Or ever again, sadly.

I'll wait til the first round is over before placing my bets.

Comment

Fairway cross the Mersey

Sergio races out to -3 to top the leaderboard. Sergio, Sergio, why must you always torture me so?

Comment

Fairway cross the Mersey

Looks like McIlroy is building up a decent buffer for his standard Bad Friday.

Comment

Fairway cross the Mersey

Has the wind got up or something? The scoring doesn't seem to be as good this afternoon as it was this morning.

Comment

Fairway cross the Mersey

I'm going tomorrow, and poignantly it will be the first time I've seen my Dad in 2014. Aaah, and all that.

This is seriously fronting up to be the Woods v McIlroy Open everyone was predicting about three years ago, before they both discovered girls.

Comment

Fairway cross the Mersey

Mr. Thursday bringing it yet again, I see.

Comment

Fairway cross the Mersey

Have brothers ever tied for third after the first day since the small fields of the early 20th C?

The Molinaris did it today.

Comment

Fairway cross the Mersey

I'm still backing Mickelson, even though he's sadly out of form this year. His 18th hole yesterday was vintage Phil - wayward drive out of bounds, 2 buggy rides, miracle chip into orbit and an up and down from the rough 80 yards o

If I were you, Rogin, there's only one group to follow this morning.

If I were a betting man, I'd get my money on Adam Scott as soon as possible.

Comment

Fairway cross the Mersey

Apparently Scott adjusted his schedule so that he turned up in Liverpool two weeks early, and has spent his time playing the course, talking to members about its features and scrupulously plotting his way round.

In the Nicklaus style, it seems.

Headr all this on radio yesterday.

Comment

Fairway cross the Mersey

Sounds like Woods is having McIlroy's Friday...

Comment

Fairway cross the Mersey

Blasting the flags day, today. I'm stupidly sunburnt.

Hoylake is a daft course in terms of its layout - it's certainly not your "9 out, 9 in" you expect from a links course. The 18th isn't even in front of the clubhouse, that's the 2nd.

Still, thoughts from today: 1)McIlroy really has this to to lose, as long as he doesn't go mad. He whipped his driver out on 16, FFS, when he had no reason to do so (okay, he then stuffed it into a bunker), but he's clearly having fun.

2)Tiger Woods just doesn't look like he's enjoying playing the game at the moment. And his crowd is about 75% down on previous Opens I've been to.

3) Ian Poulter did - probably just for me - turn up dressed like Rupert Bear. Did he make the cut?

Comment

Fairway cross the Mersey

They're going out in groups of three today, rather than the usual two-balls on Saturday & Sunday.

Any idea why? Weather expected to take a bad turn this afternoon?

Comment

Fairway cross the Mersey

Thursday McIlroy has already blown four shots of his five-shot lead.

Tiger Woods is 13 shots behind him, at one over par. This was written in 2010 and looks very prescient now:

http://nymag.com/daily/sports/2010/08/tiger_woods_is_finished.html

Comment

Fairway cross the Mersey

Rickie Fowler at the top of the leaderboard is all the excuse I need to re-post

this

Comment

Fairway cross the Mersey

Will the early finish cause problems for the US telly coverage?

Comment

Fairway cross the Mersey

Not as many problems as Woods being crap.

Golf ratings are dying over here, and the Open was never given the attention it deserves, even during its prime.

Comment

Fairway cross the Mersey

Northern Ireland has three of the top twelve on tonight's leaderboard; as many as the US of A. I don't think anyone punches so far above their weight like this in a global sport except possibly Switzerland in the men's tennis.

Comment

Fairway cross the Mersey

We went from a tie for the lead between McIlroy & Fowler to McIlroy enjoying a six-shot lead in the space of an hour. The fluctuating nature of golf and it's scoring patterns always enthrals me.

I have an each-way bet on Robert Karlsson, so that will keep me entertained tomorrow. Assuming the Claret Jug is already decided, of course.

Comment

Fairway cross the Mersey

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote: Northern Ireland has three of the top twelve on tonight's leaderboard; as many as the US of A. I don't think anyone punches so far above their weight like this in a global sport except possibly Switzerland in the men's tennis
                                          I suppose this means he will win SPOTY again, though I'm backing skier Kelly Gallagher (gold medal in Sochi).

Comment

Fairway cross the Mersey

The Beeb are making much of the fact that, if Rory wins, he'll be only the third player in history to win three different majors by the age of 25 (the others being Nicklaus and Woods).

If he hadn't cocked up the 2011 Masters, he could have been about to complete a career Grand Slam.

Comment

Fairway cross the Mersey

God, no.
                                              He's going to win this, isn't he?

There's the TV & radio off for the next few days.
                                              Goftwats galore proclaiming McIlroy a 'hero'

Rickie Fowler looks like he should be called Bubba

Comment

Fairway cross the Mersey

Squeaky bum time for McIlroy as his six-shot lead is cut to three by Sergio Garcia.

Comment

Fairway cross the Mersey

Calvert wrote: God, no.
                                                  He's going to win this, isn't he?

There's the TV & radio off for the next few days.
                                                  Goftwats galore proclaiming McIlroy a 'hero'

Rickie Fowler looks like he should be called Bubba
                                                  For a group that protests their Britishness, you've the Irish art of begrudgery down pat. Is it me, or does McIlroy get little credit here compared with in the UK?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X