Wimbledon 2014 - 2011 revisited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It appears that Samuel L Jackson is sitting next to the Beckhams.

Comment

Djokovic appears to be hitting the net more with his first serve. Is that where his niggle is affecting him?

Comment

Why is Djokovic promoting the University of Queensland?

Comment

Djokovic playing really well in the circs yet making more mistakes, and looking more likely to lose.

Comment

multipleman78 wrote: Djokovic appears to be hitting the net more with his first serve. Is that where his niggle is affecting him?
            His serve speed dipped to ~110mph in the game after the injury time out, which was why it was Federer's chance. The speed was bck to ~120mph in the most recent game. He is finding a way. Federer under constant pressure from here on out.

Comment

Which wasn't long.

Comment

Janik wrote:
                Originally posted by Seven Samba Kings
                It's just like the Roddick final where Fed can't break a better opponent until their level drops, Roddick because of fatigue and Djokovic because of nerves.
                I agree that there are parallels with the Roddick Final. However, that ended with the guy serving second in the decider and out-aceing his opponent comfortably being the one to fold. That bodes well for Djokovic.
                Yep, pretty similar indeed.

Comment

Well that was a bit special wasn't it? Full credit to both men. Djokovic on to 7 slams now. This should give him a good launching pad to more. Will Federer get back to this stage again?

Comment

At Wimbledon, possibly. At any of the others? No, I wouldn't think so.

Comment

multipleman78 wrote: Well that was a bit special wasn't it? Full credit to both men. Djokovic on to 7 slams now. This should give him a good launching pad to more. Will Federer get back to this stage again?
                      Was another great Wimbledon final involving Federer. Been quite a few of those. Pity he didn't have quite enough to take it.

Btw is it just me who still somehow thinks of the Australian Open (4 of Djokovic's 7 major titles) as slightly lesser? I shouldn't really, but old habits die hard.

Comment

Jimski wrote:
                        Originally posted by multipleman78
                        Well that was a bit special wasn't it? Full credit to both men. Djokovic on to 7 slams now. This should give him a good launching pad to more. Will Federer get back to this stage again?
                        Was another great Wimbledon final involving Federer. Been quite a few of those. Pity he didn't have quite enough to take it.

Btw is it just me who still somehow thinks of the Australian Open (4 of Djokovic's 7 major titles) as slightly lesser? I shouldn't really, but old habits die hard.
                        I don't know about other folk but i see all 4 as equal. Coming from the UK, Wimbledon will always be a bit more special as a viewer but i understand that each major is special in it's own way and the players treat them as equals.

Comment

You're right, the players do treat them as equally important, but I can't quite imagine it being anyone's life dream to win (specifically) the Australian Open. Not even Lleyton Hewitt's, say.

Comment

You might be right about a players life dream. Wimbledon is probably the one that most players dream of due to the tradition and history but i think once they are in the game and earning a living as a professional then each major reaches equal standing.

Comment

In many ways it (the Australian) seems the toughest to win, in terms of the weather and the timing in the calendar. It certainly seems to produce the most shock results. I think the lack of most of the major names from the 1970s/80s (Borg, Connors, McEnroe, Lendl) on its roll of honour detracts a little bit from its status compared to the others, but there's nothing it can do about that.

I was so pleased for Djokovic today. When he lost that fourth set the way he did, I genuinely thought he was broken, especially with 80% of the crowd against him. To come back and win earnt him maximum respect from me. He's now won the same number of Grand Slams as John McEnroe.

Comment

Familiar faces at the Champions Ball tonight as Djokovic and Kvitova won the titles in 2011 as well. In both cases that is their only previous triumph.

Comment

As pointed out during the match, Djokovic moves past Nadal to be #1 as a result of winning, which has been being threatened for a while. He is basically nailed on to stay there for the next couple of months as Nadal is defending Champion in all of Cincinnati, Canada and New York. But Djokovic finished the year well, so the race between them for the year-end spot is on. I make it just 605 (in Nole's favour) on the YTD.
                                  Federer also into a comfortable 3rd spot on the rolling and YTD rankings. Pre-Wimbledon he (and Wawrinka) already had enough points to have qualified in most recent seasons. Both can be confident in booking their hotel rooms/agreeing to rent that nice house/whatever.
                                  Most notable stragglers are Andy Murray, as noted up thread, who stands at #7 on the Road to London and David Ferrer, who is currently #9. Murray heads Ferrer by just 60 points.

Kvitova is #4 on the WTA rolling ranks and #5 on the YTD standings, Bouchard is #7 and #4 respectively. Halep is #3 over the last twelve months and #2 in the Race to Singapore. Sharapova is #1 in the YTD, but not too far ahead of Halep.
                                  Most notable stragglers amongst the Women are Serena, who is #6 and Aga Radwanska who stands #7. Serena is 472 points ahead of Cibulkova in 9th, Radwanska is 419 ahead.

Comment

Murray is defending a third round in Canada and two quarter finals in Cincinnati and New York. After that he is defending zero points. If he can put together one or two good tournaments he will shoot up in no time.

Comment

He should be able to advance from #10, but the YTD is indicative of his season so far. Those two will converge as the season draws to a close, and if his form doesn't improve it will be knife-edge whether he'll qualify for the Finals.

Comment

One would expect Serena and Murray to make big pushes in the US Open series: their best surface and they have the motivation of having failed at Wimbledon.

Comment

You'd hope so. But when it comes to everything non-slam Murray's been in a funk for about 3 years. In fact, on looking it up, I see he's only won four regular tour events (ie not slams or the Olympics) since the start of 2012, half the number of even the supposedly-declined Federer, frequently-injured Del Potro and continuously-mediocre Ferrer.

Now added to that, he can't win a game that matters in a slam - since Wimbledon I'd say his most impressive defeated opponent in a slam is Feliciano Lopez. The really damning thing is that it's now a year since he beat anyone in the top ten. I just don't see what evidence there is that this is going to turn round, especially when his seeding will now pit him against top players in the quarter finals.

Comment

If the bush telegraph is to believe, the Murray-Mauresmo coaching arrangement will come to an end this week. Which will just further the impression of a career on the drift.

Comment

I think Murray is close to being a contender again but needs a couple of big wins to really kick start it. His performances in the first four rounds at Wimbledon were superb. Once he combines that form with some bigger wins his confidence will return.

I agree about the non-Slams. He used to be a non-Slam expert who couldn't win Slams and then that trend reversed. To be fair to Murray i think he has been carrying his injury for the last three years and decided to put all his eggs into the Slam basket.

If he is effectively injury free now i am expecting a Murray surge sometime soon. If it doesn't happen then maybe he will come back to form after the turn of the year like Federer did this year. If it hasn't happened by then i will begin to think he is on the way out.

Comment

Working...
                                              X