Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Redskins trademarks cancelled

Blimey

I suppose this won't stop Snyder using the name if he really wants to, but presumably he cares about merchandise revenue.

There's zero chance they'll use an untrademarked name. How long will this take to appeal?

It's a victory for human decency.

Comment

Well the previous case took ages to go through the appeals courts, so it's probably not going to be resolved for years, although apparently this is a narrower claim which may speed things up. Apparently Harjo, which was overturned on appeal, claimed that the term was disparaging at the time of registration to the general public (which claim was not upheld), whereas this case argues only that it was disparaging to (some) Native Americans. The USPTO agrees that's enough to render the registration invalid, but I've no idea how it will hold up on appeal.

Comment

Snyder is completely committed to the name, has essentially unlimited funds and an very good law firm that is very willing to spend lots of his money fighting the appeal.

The question is whether the league and other owners will tell him to call in the dogs, and/or whether this may change the political climate on the Hill (very unlikely in my view).

Comment

I just can't see how any fan can, in good conscience, pay money to support a team run by that guy. Even if they change the name, it is absolutely clear now that he is both an extremely incompetent football executive and a greedy bastard with the public relations savvy of a deertick.

Comment

Steve "sack of hammers" King has a typically measured response.

Comment

Working...
            X