X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CFL's reluctant players

Union "overmatched" in negotiations.

“How it works in the 21st century: Unions are dead.”

CDN$45,000 for getting pounded by 280lb lineman eighteen weeks a year sure doesn't seem like enough to me.

CFL's reluctant players

Amor de Cosmos wrote: Union "overmatched" in negotiations.

“How it works in the 21st century: Unions are dead.”

CDN$45,000 for getting pounded by 280lb lineman eighteen weeks a year sure doesn't seem like enough to me.
    I was grinding my teeth at that comment but considering who it came from and his background, it's just sad.

I did notice that the CFLPA has the Achilles heel of many North American professional sports unions - just because an ex-pro has a law degree doesn't mean he can represent you. It's one of my huge fears about Tony Clark leading the MLBPA.

Comment

CFL's reluctant players

Sadness was my response. I like the CFL, largely because it's unfashionable and seems genuinely connected to communities. The players, and clubs, lives pretty much match those of the people who watch them. Unfortunately that appears to be truer than I realised.

The league was financially strapped for decades, and the players bit the bullet. Now, due entirely to cable TV, there's money about, but not for the people we're paying money to see.

The vote will be interesting, though I don't know whether the results will be made public.

Comment

CFL's reluctant players

They shouldn't ratify it. Less than a third of the money? That's not enough. I don't see why a guy would bother playing for $45k a year, really. He'd be better off starting another career.

Comment

CFL's reluctant players

Many — maybe most — of them have second jobs. It's essentially a semi-pro league really.

Comment

CFL's reluctant players

I don't know how they do it. When I was young, it was really hard to find a job that could work around my school schedule and very hard to find a job just for a summer. They wanted somebody who'd be there the whole year.

Comment

CFL's reluctant players

It's not easy.

Maybe the club helps, especially for imports with no local connections. It was that way in England back in the "shamateur" days. Players would be provided with a job, maybe even a house or car.

Locally you see often Lions' players working security at concerts and other events. I imagine they're part of a pool and do it subject to availability. Company ego probably comes into it too. "See that guy over there, driving my car. Plays defensive end for the Leos."

Comment

CFL's reluctant players

I know that a lot of the "professional" lacrosse players have jobs that are somehow related to lacrosse, either coaching and/or sales & marketing for the companies that make lacrosse gear. So I suspect their employers are flexible since having a professional player in that role adds to his credibility in selling/marketing/recruiting.

Coaching club teams and specialized camps and "showcases" is a lucrative racket, and some players have six figure endorsement deals although not many.

A lot of them are teachers or stock-brokers. Every now and then a player will be unavailable to play, even in a key game, because of his real job.

Comment

Working...
                X