X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another one bites the dust

Seven Samba Kings wrote:
    Originally posted by Versalete
    Nadal did get a bit better and more consistent as the match progressed, but this was mainly about Djokovic' detoriation.
    This post and Ad Hoc's showing an OTF typical refusal to give Nadal credit. Yes Djokovic's level declined, most players' levels decline through the match against Nadal (and Djokovic and Murray) because the physical and mental strain of playing at the required level is so enormous. Djokovic was clearly frustrated that he was throwing his best at Nadal and it wasn't good enough. A worthy win and Nadal deserves credit for his performance not just putting it down to his opponent deteriorating as if that happens in some sort of vacuum.
    Where am I saying that Nadal doesn't deserve credit? Where am I saying that this happens in some sort of vacuum? It is your, and only your, conjecture that Djokovic' deterioration happens independently of Nadal's involvement; I have said nothing about the _reason why_ Djokovic imploded.

Your post shows an OTF typical refusal to take someone's post at face value without conjecturing all kinds of additional opinions in the text. Please don't.

Comment

Well what makes it 'mainly about Djokovic's deteriation' then? Of course it's disrespectful to say the result was mainly about one player's shortcomings rather than the other's excellence. It was mainly about Djokovic being unable to live with the consistent excellence of Nadal game in and game out - he could for spells, in the first set and bits of the second and fourth, but not for a whole match. That was the difference. Also Djokovic upped his level hugely from the third set to the fourth, so it's not like it was a pure deteriation or implosion anyway.

Comment

Seven Samba Kings wrote:
        Nadal did get a bit better and more consistent as the match progressed, but this was mainly about Djokovic' detoriation.
        This post and Ad Hoc's showing an OTF typical refusal to give Nadal credit. Yes Djokovic's level declined, most players' levels decline through the match against Nadal (and Djokovic and Murray) because the physical and mental strain of playing at the required level is so enormous. Djokovic was clearly frustrated that he was throwing his best at Nadal and it wasn't good enough. A worthy win and Nadal deserves credit for his performance not just putting it down to his opponent deteriorating as if that happens in some sort of vacuum.
        Hang on. My posts were all about Sharapova. Was I supposed to be giving Nadal credit for her victory?

Your post shows an OTF typical refusal to actually correctly identify the person making the comment you wish to challenge.

Comment

Good morning.

Some thoughts on this: I hate Sharapova. However, when Serena loses, she generally outlasts the others.

Men-wise: Nadal does not lose in Paris. He doesn't 'outlast' the others, he just beats them.

When Djokovic goes one set up in a Slam finale, he wins it. Until yesterday. Nadal was brutal in his comeback. Normally I don't like the commentary, but for a combination of reasons, I was swapping between Jim Courier and John McEnroe for the 'colour' man, and they both mentioned one thing: Nadal thinks he owns the French, and will not be beaten. 'WILL NOT BE BEATEN'.

(Soderling aside, natch.)

I watch shitloads of tennis, and when I saw the coverage of Djokovic puking, at the end of that point, I thought it was all over.

Djokovic put his head on, and fought back, and when Nadal was grimacing with his back and knee, he almost got there.

Nadal is untouchable on clay. No-one wins everything, but oh my, S. Nadal is very close.

I have grown to really like Djokovic, after thinking him to be robotic (he never was), or boring (he never is/was). He is a magnificent player on all courts.

But there are some who were equally good, who didn't win on all courts.

I always love Nadal (except when he beats Murray, and I don't count this week at all), because when 'WE' think he is down, he knows that he is not.

Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer, Andrew Murray, and all of the other possible superstars (del Potro, maybe not, Wawrinka, maybe so, returning Berdych, meh, and Jo-Wilfried if he gets his nut together): men's tennis at this point in time, has never been better.

And the best news? There will be better days, matches, players ahead. Stay tuned.

(Thanks Janik. Your perception about certain things, rings true. Predictions? Not so much. x)

Comment

ad hoc wrote:
            Originally posted by Seven Samba Kings
            Hang on. My posts were all about Sharapova. Was I supposed to be giving Nadal credit for her victory?

Your post shows an OTF typical refusal to actually correctly identify the person making the comment you wish to challenge.
            Apologies, you're right. I meant Ursus' post calling it a 'meltdown'. It was on the previous page and I misidentified.

Comment

Anyway sod the tennis. Who won the prediction game? SSK looks to have it in the bag...I'm just hoping I scrape more than 1. I let my heart rule my head on the Halep prediction.

Ed: although Zebedinho scored a maximum for the finals (winners and number of sets), while SSK plumped for Djokovic. Could be close.

Comment

Results this evening. I was too busy watching The Pixies last night.

Comment

Stay off the absinthe, Jan.

(And thanks for the ... thing)

Comment

SSK, perhaps I should have made it more clear, but my "meltdown" post was in response to the last game, and in particular the last two points.

Comment

A clear winner in the prediction game, as the runner-up apparently abdicated the court in the latter stages

Seven Samba Kings 2.43
                      Janik 2.00
                      Zebedinho Puerto do Sulinha 1.77
                      via vicaria 1.64
                      Outside Agent 1.58
                      ad hoc 1.29
                      Kryvbas Gripper Rih 1.07
                      Tostão The Dirt Down 1.00
                      multipleman78 0.79

Comment

Working...
                      X