NFL fan free agency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NFL fan free agency

Remember (I think) this chap? Well, before last season, I decided I'd had enough of the Jets. It wasn't the Sanchez debacle; it wasn't even Rex Ryan. It was more what I'd heard about the fans themselves: the way they treated Fireman Ed and - above all - what I'd heard about some of them pretty much assaulting some women in the stands. They sound like a bunch of arseholes, to be blunt!

I don't want to be associated with any of that.

So... I've been struggling for more than a year now over which team I should throw my metaphorical hat in with ...and I was wondering if perhaps any of you gentlemen of the gridiron could help me decide?

I have to be honest: I'm very, very shallow! ...And I have no geographical attachments! (My preferred hockey and basketball teams are the Blackhawks and Blazers - so I almost had a team in each timezone previously!)

As an old Goth, I will always favour teams that play in black or purple (so teams like the Jags and Packers are out, I suppose). As a dog lover, I will never forgive the Eagles for signing Vick after his dog-fighting conviction, so they're out of the question ...as are all of the other AFC East teams, who I retain a grudge against from my days as a Jets fan. I also won't go for the Cowboys - too 'All-American' for my liking.

I also hold a grudge against the Niners and Broncos for their domination in the late 80s and early 90s, when I was getting into the sport. I'm reluctant to 'cross town' for the Giants too, of course.

This leaves me with such teams as the Ravens, who I like for the strip and the Poe connection; the Steelers, who I respect for their working class character and their 'no cheerleaders' stance; And I've always had a slight soft spot for the Raiders - again for their 'working class' following (when in Oakland) as well as Al Davis' uncompromising 'style', both sartorially (before he became a zombie) and in terms of the tactics he preferred.

I wouldn't rule out such teams as the Falcons, Bucs, Bengals or Vikings, either ...or even the Seahawks. But this is why I'm turning to the OTF hive mind for guidance: what team might satisfy my shallow criteria and whom should I avoid and why? ...And who would be the most fun to follow, of course!

Over to you lot.

NFL fan free agency

Just as well you binned the Jets then now Vick is there.

I would have thought the Ravens would be a good fit and are in a good timezone for you to be able to see some games.

Comment

NFL fan free agency

The Raiders: share your grudge against the niners and play in black. Also, (and this may or may not be a recommendation) their fans are the closest to (regular) football fans. And they successfully fought to get their club back after they were briefly half-inched by LA. Sort of a combo of Charlton and Millwall if that can be imagined.

Comment

NFL fan free agency

I'm so sorry about Vick. However, while he was a monster, he's also done more to raise money and advocate for the ASPCA in the years since.

If you go Ravens, at least that was where Rex Ryan was hired from.

The Raiders isn't a bad move, as they should be on the upswing over the next 10 years.

Don't forget goth central either: Dem Who Dats and where dey interview dem vampyres. (I hope I don't get fired after googling the most NSFW "Goth New Orleans" just now.)

Comment

NFL fan free agency

jasoń voorhees wrote: Don't forget goth central either: Dem Who Dats and where dey interview dem vampyres. (I hope I don't get fired after googling the most NSFW "Goth New Orleans" just now.)
          I *think* I understood this ...and I appreciate the suggestion. I do indeed have a soft spot for the aints too. The only problem might be if some of my more football-aware friends (who are also aware of my semi-goth past) say that I may as well just start wearing 'Twilight' T-shirts ...and wearing make-up. It is a quandary.

Comment

Working...
          X