Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haile exciting

London Marathon sets out its stall

This'll mostly depend on the weather, won't it? If it's pissing down/snowing/thirty degrees (all of which are equally likely in April in London) they've got no chance.

Haile exciting

I've got a niece and a cousin in this year's run. Any nice pubs en route to watch them stagger past?

Comment

Haile exciting

I wouldn't be inclined to chase the rabbit simply because the organisers are after a record time, if it didn't suit me.

However, if too many people think like I do, Gebrselassie might end up doing a Paul Pilkington.

Comment

Haile exciting

My cousin broke his toe, and had to defer for a year. (And since then he's sliced his hand open skiing...)

My niece managed to get round in just under six hours, which wasn't too bad for her first effort.

How many people does the Marathon bring into town? Every runner seemed to have at least five other people waiting for them. The pubs were clogged for miles. We ended up in the Lemon Tree in Covent Garden.

Comment

Haile exciting

A friend of mine just posted a frustrated elongated NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO[etcetera] on Facebook after running the Rotterdam marathon in 3 hours and 5 seconds. So close...

I won't pretend to be able to even approximate his achievement. Still, he will go by "Mister five seconds" for the foreseeable future.

Comment

Haile exciting

I spent the day working at Monument station. The event itself is really quite staggering and the good will is immense.

However, I was suprised at the number of people supporting runners who hadn't thought to buy travel tickets (note: the Underground is not a registered charity) and ended up queuing for the ticket machines. Also the event is beginning to resemble the Grand National in that it is the place to be seen. People treat it as a day to get drunk with blokes pissing up the sides of buildings all the way from Monument to Tower Hill. Not pleasant.

Comment

Working...
            X