Azinger vs Faldo.

I know who I prefer.

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

Doesn't make him a good captain though.
      Didn't say it did.

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

The BBC, for some bizarre reason, are persisting with a running caption for the "history" of the event that says it was only US v "GB" until 1971, and then US v "GB&I" from 1973 to 1977, before it became US v Europe in 1979.

That's as maybe, but I don't understand why the name changed to "GB&I" only in 1973 (was it something to do with the sensitivies about the troubles at that point?). Harry Bradshaw and Christy O'Connor between them played in every "GB" team from 1953 to 1971 (as did occasional other Irish golfers like Hugh Boyle). And, if truth be told, until 1977, there would have been no continental golfers who would have made what might as well have been a Europe side, anyway, with the obvious exception of Belgian Flory van Donck in the 1950s and maybe - maybe - Spain's Ramon Sota in the late 1960s. By the late 1970s, yes, you had the likes of Ballesteros, Garrido, Pinero and Langer coming through, but to all intents and purposes the "Europe" team has been "Europe" all along, and I don't understand why we need to pretend that the US wouldn't have completely wiped us off the board from 1940 to 1980 as comprehensively as they did, just because we weren't "Europe" at the time.

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

Blimey. What a day of golf.
          Gutted that Stenson missed the putt on the 18th to put Europe only a point behind, but Karlson had a stunning 2nd round.
          And Poulter is looking like a decent pick now, isn't he? I tip my hat to Faldo.

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

Poulter was a revelation yesterday, I'm pleased to say. I thought he'd either be great or a flop when Faldo picked him, and I thought he looked like it was getting to him on Friday morning, but yesterday he was pretty much Europe's team leader. The contest's clearly brought the best out of that other great gobshite Hunter Mahan, as well, he and Poulter are the only two players who can end up with 4 points now.

The singles line-up is a bold gamble by Faldo - it was pretty predictable that, with just 5 1/2 points needed, the Americans would top-load their singles line up, hoping that any early splash of red across the leaderboards would relax the players lower down the order. Europe have gone for almost the opposite, so will need some big performances from the guys going out early, otherwise Poulter, Westwood, Harrington and the guys at the back will be toiling away in vain.

I think the crucial performances from Europe today will be from Garcia, Casey, Karlsson and Wilson. If 3 of those 4 can win their games, then the contest's back on a knife-edge with 3 or 4 matches left out. I still think we'll win this.

Anthony Kim v Sergio Garcia
            Hunter Mahan v Paul Casey
            Justin Leonard v Robert Karlsson
            Phil Mickelson v Justin Rose
            Kenny Perry v Henrik Stenson
            Boo Weekley v Oliver Wilson
            JB Holmes v Soren Hansen
            Jim Furyk v Miguel Angel Jimenez
            Stewart Cink v Graeme McDowell
            Steve Stricker v Ian Poulter
            Ben Curtis v Lee Westwood
            Chad Campbell v Padraig Harrington

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

It's not looking too good.
              Crowd were cheering when Garcia put it in the water. Cunts.

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

To be fair, I don't think they really started cheering until he did it the second time...

Anyway, it's not all over just yet. If we win the six we're not losing and draw a couple of those we're only one down in, that's enough. Now where's that image of straws gone?

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

They cheered both almost as loudly as each other ... they are a crowd full of rednecks and were confirmed as cunts when George Bush snr was loudly cheered as he went round the course last night.

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

Members of Kentucky country club in reactionary shock . . .

There's a reason they don't play these at Van Cortlandt Park in the Bronx.

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

It's not just the members though ursus, the support is from all around, surely.

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

ursus arctos wrote:
                        Yeah, the rough is rough...

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

When I was a kid, the cops actually discovered a fully-equipped "chop shop" (where they strip stolen cars for parts) in the woods in Van Cortlandt Park.

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

Looks like it's game over for Europe. USA on 11 1/2 and just about to go a hole up in two others.

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

I can't really say how much Faldo is the cause of the defeat but his manner reminds me totally of David Brent.

Did he really go up to all his players yesterday and say "I'm your battery"?

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

Well, Faldo will go down in history as the first European Ryder Cup captain ever to take a team of players who were higher-ranked than their opponents, and lose.

Still, it's a funny old game, the Ryder Cup. When Jack Nicklaus - the greatest player ever to have played the game, and certainly the most inspirational leader you could possibly ask for - led his US team to the Ryder Cup at his own course - Muirfield, Ohio - in 1987, they were completely trounced.

The choice of captain for 2010 debate will begin now. America's will almost certainly be Mark O'Meara (or possibly Fred Couples?), but it will be interesting to see if Europe go for Colin Montgomerie, or if Colin will think (at 47) he still might be playing on the team, not captaining it.

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

Faldo was "happy how everything panned out."

He's like Dougal's nemesis in the Song for Europe episode of Father Ted. You lost, Nick.

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

As a European, I shall not be able to show my face in America for quite some time. Oh the shame. THE SHAME.

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

I would pick Olazabal; he certainly had a front row seat for what not to do this time around.

BTW, have consecutive competitions ever been played at courses with more cringe-worthy names than Valhalla and Celtic Manor?

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

Wasn't there some kind of deal that Faldo got it this time with Woosnam getting it in 2010?

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

Damn, I missed my biennial entertainment of going into pubs and hearing people shout "Come on Europe!"

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

Why don't they ever have it on a links course? The Americans wouldn't know what to do.

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

Before "GB&I" became "Europe", the US won six in a row at Royal Lytham & St Annes, Muirfield and Royal Birkdale.

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

Whatever he thinks of the crowd, Lee Westwood ought to have sucked it up and kept quiet. Now this looks like whingeing on his part.

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

I wouldn't mind Woosnam as captain next time out. Or Olizabal. Or McGinley.

Anyone but Faldo, basically.

Comment

Ryder Cup 2008

ursus arctos wrote:
                                                    Members of Kentucky country club in reactionary shock . . .

Man - I have played Rugby at Van Cortland Park. It really isn't good for much. It was a health hazard playing rugby there (tackled into a broken bottle, mid-december at 9 Farenheit and a strong wind)

Comment

Working...
                                                    X