Play It Again, Sam - NRL (& Origin) 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A sister publication to the Super League thread.

The NRL starts warming up in earnest this weekend with the Auckland Nines. As mentioned on the other thread, this started with good intentions, a rare big event for NZ RL and early ticket sales were solid. It's since become a bit of a circus with Brad Fittler and Steve Menzies coming out of retirement (though to be fair, Menzies has barely been in retirement). It will still be interesting to see how it plays out, with the NRL and broadcasters apparently eyeing up a potential southern hemisphere Nines summer series, using a mixture of recently retired and up & coming players so that it doesn't distract too much from the main event. In the usual 'anything you can do, we can make a right mess of', if this is successful I can see the Magic Weekend becoming the Magic 9s one day.

The Cronulla saga continues on several fronts, as they look to appeal the doping / mismanagement charges that look like costing them over $1m, although extra-marital affairs purveyors Ashley Madison have offered to pay the fines off as part of a ten year sponsorship deal. I preferred it when they were sponsored by Fisherman's Friend (insert punchline here - ed.)

And finally on to the obvious. The angle on the Sam Burgess story over here is of course all about RU poaching English RL's biggest name, whether he's suited to RU and if he'll switch in time to be a contender for the RUWC next year. The angle in Australia seems to be that there was a split in the Souths camp last year over SB's preferential status as Russell Crowe's golden boy, that he was beyond discipline and that the Burgii phenomenon was becoming too much of a distraction for the rest of the squad - and therefore that the RU offer is a convenient (and mutually lucrative) way out of the situation for both SB and Souths, rather than SB fulfilling any long held ambition to play RU for England.

We already have a criminally unpublicised 9's tournament in England, in which clubs mainly play members of their Academy squads.

Comment

On the basis of the first day alone, the Auckland 9s seems to be a roaring success. Looks brilliant on TV - sun shining, big stadium, big crowd and bright strips, looks like an Xbox game. Looked and sounded like a carnival atmosphere, with lots in fancy dress and the cameras picking out a lot of bright young things of each gender. Much is being made of the proportion of the crowd coming from outside of Auckland, both within NZ and from Australia (7,000 of the latter apparently).

On the pitch the home side have been most impressive of the ones I watched, with Sam Tomkins making a big impact and endearing himself to the home fans already. Standard of play looks good, and competitive stuff for pre-season. Brad Fittler provided the highlight of the day by running in a 70 yard interception try, which will no doubt feature in every promo montage for the tournament in years to come.

Looks like it's here to stay, and on the evidence of today that's not a bad thing after all.

Comment

Seems that the Broncos got a tasty opening fixture versus the Bulldogs. I like both outfits but since Brisbane is the only city I have visited in Oz I tend to favour them. Who are perceived as the pre season favourites this year WFD?

Comment

Souths and Easts are going to be the big two again, though it will be interesting to see how willing SBW and Big Sam will be to give everything to the cause towards the end of the season when they both have big money Union careers looming.

Melbourne and Manly will be next two in line, and each have plenty of big game experience.

Brisbane I'm afraid will be on the fringes of the eight, they've still not got over Lockyer retiring.

As ever, I'll be getting let down by the not-quite-good-enough

whose success or otherwise will depend on how many games Paul Gallen and Todd Carney manage - and things are already looking shaky with Carney getting injured in the Auckland 9s.

Comment

Walt Flanagans Dog wrote: The Cronulla saga continues on several fronts, as they look to appeal the doping / mismanagement charges that look like costing them over $1m, although extra-marital affairs purveyors Ashley Madison have offered to pay the fines off as part of a ten year sponsorship deal. I preferred it when they were sponsored by Fisherman's Friend (insert punchline here - ed.)
            They rejected the Ashley Maddison offer, and I'm not certain the Sharks will be around in 3 years time – sorry to say, Walt. The only hope is that ASADA drop the witch hunt or apply some token approach in order to sweep it all away, but realistically some major players (inc. Paul Gallen) will be suspended and the team will fall apart, and then there's the legal response by said players as they sue the shit out of Cronulla, who are not flush with cash, let's be honest.

Walt Flanagans Dog wrote: The angle in Australia seems to be that there was a split in the Souths camp last year over SB's preferential status as Russell Crowe's golden boy, that he was beyond discipline and that the Burgii phenomenon was becoming too much of a distraction for the rest of the squad
            I believe this firmly to be the truth. Crowe has form here, interfering with football/team matters. Adam McDougall famously said live on prime time TV that when he was at Souths, Crowe would rock down to training and offer tips to the centres on how to run the right lines in a game.

He's been great for Souths, has Rusty, but he'll never be in the Easts' Nick Politis-category, as a giant amongst lesser sports club owners. A man who knows how to strike the right balance between god-like command and scarcity, pulling the strings behind the scene like an Icke-inspired reptilian uber mensch across the board.

Rumour also has it that Burge-arse failed to turn up for a training session the week of their semi-final loss to Manly as he was busily carving out some lucrative media deal with his manager. This just two weeks after the Russell Crowe-narrated documentary on his life was released and advertised all around the RL media. No joke.

Walt Flanagans Dog wrote: Souths and Easts are going to be the big two again, though it will be interesting to see how willing SBW and Big Sam will be to give everything to the cause towards the end of the season when they both have big money Union careers looming.
            I know SBW will be giving his all, regardless. He's a great man and loves his team mates and is very close to Nick Politis. No need to fret on that one.

I reckon Burgess is the same, although with a fractured team environment, who knows.

Walt Flanagans Dog wrote: Brisbane I'm afraid will be on the fringes of the eight, they've still not got over Lockyer retiring.
            Brisbane are looking pretty good to me. Ben Barba at the back, Sam Thaiday relieved of the captaincy in order to focus on his on-field role, and big Marty Kennedy added to the pack – alongside great young players like Corey Norman, Matt Gillet, Andrew McCulloch and Josh Hoffman should see them push for the six, imo. If Hodges can stay fit, who knows.

The mighty Chookies are a real shot at going back-to-back. Absolutely pumped for the WCC tomorrow night. They reckon 2,000 Wiganers have made the trip, and a crowd of over 30k is on the cards. Woot!

Hopefully Souths crash and burn big style.

Comment

All good stuff - and yes I am aware of Cronulla's tightrope existence, even before the ASADA saga they were hanging on from year to year (probably part of the appeal for me now that I think about it). You're right in that everyone involved seems to be hoping ASADA will give up eventually, though they are already starting another season under a cloud with the appeal process being delayed into the start of the season. As well as hoping for some happy ending to the saga, they continue to pin their hopes on the property deal, which has been dragging on for years, though seems to be making some progress now.

Comment

Walt Flanagans Dog wrote:
                Brisbane I'm afraid will be on the fringes of the eight, they've still not got over Lockyer retiring.
                Speaking of which what do you make of the acquisition of Ben Barba?

Btw, thanks for sticking this thread up here, I'll be sure to read it religiously. Here is a great wee video of some of the funniest moments of the NRL in 2013. Enjoy.

Comment

Also, WFD or Posty Webber, for the benefit of lapsed/casual League fans could you give a who's who of the better players in the NRL these days? A shortlist of players who would be in the running for player of the year honours or some such.

Thanks.

Comment

Ben Barba is talented enough, but like too many players now got derailed by 'off the field' issues - though in theory he will be happier closer to his family (his reason for seeking a release).

The player of the year awards are always dominated by halves and to a lesser extent hookers so from here take your pick from Cooper Cronk, Johnathan Thurston, Daly Cherry Evans, Todd Carney, Keiran Foran, Shaun Johnson and Cameron Smith.

Elsewhere in the backs, Billy Slater, Greg Inglis, the Morris twins, Roger Tuivasa Sheck and Justin Hodges are all established and I'm confident Sam Tomkins will prove himself in that company.

In the pack, Sonny Bill Williams and Sam Burgess are playing out their last year before switching to Union, leaving Paul Gallen, Corey Parker, Andrew Fifita and Jared Waerea-Hargreaves as the players to watch, plus our own James Graham when he's not suspended for trying to eat people.

Note list not meant to be exhaustive - other stars are available.

It's worth noting the former big name players who have been lost to the sport - Karmichael Hunt (AFL), Israel Folau (AFL then RU), Benji Marshall (RU).

Comment

The NRL pre-season has another week to go yet but the Queensland Cup (one of two second tier competitions beneath the NRL) kicks off this weekend. Not usually anything remarkable about that, but it marks the debut of the Papua New Guinea Hunters in the competition, which it is hoped will start PNG on the road to getting an NRL team. They are probably many years away from that but they have decent sponsorship, a TV deal and a huge player pool to choose from, and it is of course the only country where RL is deemed to be the national sport. They are also on track to host at least two games in the 2017 RLWC, in a group shared with northern Queensland.

In and around the big league the World Club Challenge drew a good crowd but wasn't much of a contest - if Wigan had the team that actually won the League they might have got closer but the gulf in class was clear.

Meanwhile the NRL are considering copying the 'Magic Weekend' idea, probably staging it in Sydney but with the potential for different cities to bid for it in future. I guess if it's a success it gives Super League something to copy after it has abolished its own Magic Weekend for a 'NRL-style' Nines tournament. Not that it's got much to do with me but I think I'd rather the NRL worked out a planned and consistent programme of 'on the road' games rather the clubs dipping their toe into places and then dropping them.

Finally, for now, the NRL is starting to work out what to do with its increased TV money - a salary cap increase and further 'marquee player' concessions (but not of the kind mentioned on the other thread) are high on the agenda, so we may see fewer players lost to other codes as described above.

Comment

PNG Hunters made a big impression on their Queensland Cup debut, winning their first game, away from home in Brisbane.

The big league kicks off on Thursday with the two favourites for the whole thing, Easts and Souths playing the first game.

As an interesting (ok its all relative) aside, Melbourne Storm have named two Victorians in their side for their opener, marking (providing it happens) the first time two born and bred Victorians will have played in any NRL game.

Meanwhile interesting (again all relative) report last week that Easts/Sydney/Roosters' reward for winning the WCC was $42,000 AUD, in contrast to North Queensland receiving $370,000 for winning the 9s, for which Easts put in a weakened side to keep players fit for the WCC. Apparently the NRL underwrote the game, and needed 26,000 through the gate to break even due to the $350,000 cost of getting Wigan over. The game drew over 31,000 so they were in the (modest) money in the end. The TV rights for the game will have been bundled in / given away with the respective NRL and Super League deals. I'm sure the bars in the SFS/Allianz were the real winner.

Comment

Three rounds in and the Dragons are the surprise leaders, and one of only two teams with a 100% record, the other being Melbourne who are likely to stick around longer at the top, although they themselves are requiring comebacks and late winners to win games and are not exactly dominating. One of the positives from the Dragons' start is the form of English (and ex Melbourne) stand off Gareth Widdop.

Much anguish down there about crowd numbers, with the big opener between the two favourites and Sydney rivals Souths and Easts drawing only 28,000 to ANZ, when the equivalent game last year (albeit in what was the decider for top spot in the regular season) getting 59,000. All relative of course, Super League would kill for a 28,000 crowd outside of the finals/Magic Weekend, but shows how far behind AFL the NRL is in this respect.

Different anguish over the career ending injury to Alex McKinnon of Newcastle, opening the debate again about the boundaries of the rules, in this case lifting in the tackle.

Cronulla off to their trademark poor start, bottom after losing their first three games, with more talent sat in the stands than out on the pitch. It was still worth getting up to watch them lose to the Dragons on Saturday, to see this try as it happened.

Comment

Two months on and it's wide open, Canterbury and Manly only slightly ahead of a nine team peloton which contains the rest of the big names.

State of Origin is looming which means the form book will go out of the proverbial window for a few weeks as teams lose their best players, firstly as they are called up and then as they miss out due to injuries picked up in the more intense atmosphere. Brisbane and Melbourne tend to be affected most around this time.

Crowds will also start to dip as well, after a decent spell recently when Easter / ANZAC day games pulled in some big numbers.

Melbourne have been the team to watch for close games and dramatic finishes. Cronulla have been getting progressively worse and it now looks like Beau Ryan will not make it back again, and in the meantime they missed out on Benji Marshall who must rank as the least successful high profile RL to RU defection (I'm not sure about that word but couldn't think of another). Marshall will now be tasked with turning round the Dragons recent slide, after their good start.

In international news, Samoa beat Fiji in the sudden death qualifier for the Four Nations, and there is much talk of a GB tour to Australia next year. I've got a lot of fondness for the GB brand of old, but think this is a bit of a backward step, not least because (as I've probably mentioned before) only RL could follow up one of the best internationals of recent times, in front of a big crowd at Wembley (many of whom were new to the sport) by not holding another major international in this country for three years.

Comment

Just got my ticket for next Wednesday's game. It'll be my first ever RL match, and it also happens to be the 100th ever Origin game. I'm dead excited.

As I spend most of my Australia time in Brisbane, I will be supporting QLD, but I will be pronouncing the word "maroon" as nature intended, because there is only so far I am prepared to go in pursuit of fitting in.

Comment

I hoped you enjoyed it ad hoc, and you may as well retire now cos you won't see a better game live than that for many a long year - it was one of the classic Origin games and could prove to be a turning point in Origin history (and one that gets it back on track). Queensland on paper should have walked that game, and even after Cronk went off (who incidentally is one of the unluckiest players in Origin, playing behind Lockyer and Thurston for so long) they still had enough firepower out there to dominate, but it was a real blood and thunder performance from NSW.

I can see NSW sealing it in the home tie, 80,000 at ANZ should see them over the line.

I'd love to do Origin and once the kids have flown the coup I'll do it, but would have love to have done it at the present time, the Queensland team is a joy to watch.

By the way I'll just highlight my own prediction earlier about Melbourne tending to be disproportionately affected by Origin - Cronk out 8-12 weeks, Slater 2-3 and Smith 1-2.

Comment

It was a great evening out that's for sure (though not cheap even by the standards of the insanely expensive country that is Australia).

The stadium is absolutely superb and there are genuinely no bad seats. Absolutely great place to watch sport. I have been there before to watch real football, but when the place is full and rocking like it was on Wednesday, it was absolutely fantastic. And being in the middle of the city makes a huge difference too.

Sitting on Caxton Street before the match, getting tanked up and watching the crowds descend to the ground, was a spectacular highlight as was the match itself. I'm no connoiseur, but it was clear to me that this was a great game and really really high quality. I've now been told by all and sundry that it was wuite possibly the best game they've ever seen (or at the very least in the top 5). Semi-watched an NRL game on the telly last night, and realised that what set Wednesday apart was the fact that I can't recall a single error. There was just superb defence, and superb handling, for the entire 80 minutes.

All in all a great experience, despite the result going the wrong way from my perspective (but then I kind of go to all sporting events expecting to see my team lose, so that didn't detract hugely).

The only thing I can't really get my head around is how NSW's second (and ultimately game winning) try was a try. The entire stadium, blues fans included, was absolutely flabbergasted when that stupid KFC ad thingy came up with "TRY". Second movement? More like 11th.

Anyway, 'tis by the by. I had a great night out, and I still think QLD have a chance, though NSW must now be clear favourites.

Comment

ad hoc wrote: The stadium is absolutely superb and there are genuinely no bad seats. Absolutely great place to watch sport. I have been there before to watch real football, but when the place is full and rocking like it was on Wednesday, it was absolutely fantastic. And being in the middle of the city makes a huge difference too.

Sitting on Caxton Street before the match, getting tanked up and watching the crowds descend to the ground, was a spectacular highlight as was the match itself.
                                    This is what makes me jealous, even more so than the 'I was there' factor of being at one of the great games. Four years ago I did a trip to Australia largely for the purpose of watching NRL games (and watched seven over two weekends), but the way the fixtures fell we missed out on seeing a game at Suncorp, so did the stadium tour instead, and they pitch it very much round Origin history rather than the Broncos or other sports they have there. The guy waxed lyrical about the experience you describe - the crowds on Caxton Street before the game - and it made me want to buy a ticket there and then and start looking for cheap flights to head over again.

And good point on the location - I prefer a central location for a stadium, makes it much more part of the city itself, and of course better for the sports tourist staying in the city centre.

Comment

I'd say SPOILERS but anyone interested will have watched it by now?

But anyway ....

NSW win it at last, and Origin keeps on giving.

Every bit as compelling as the first game but without the breath taking skill and near misses that made the first one a genuine classic. Too many dirty tricks (hitting kickers late, tacklers forcing forearms into attackers' faces on the ground) and too many errors.

BUT late drama with NSW eventually finding a way through the Queensland defence after putting it under siege for five sets, to score the only try of the game, and after Hayne's try saving tackle at the other end. NSW got lucky after that when they got the penalty from the kick off for the restart apparently going out on the full, when it clearly hit Woods on the way when he changed his mind about catching it.

Then the boiling over, as Thurston starting exacting some revenge and generally being a dick (although he remains, and will always be, a saint in our house), causing two all in melees as the home fans gleefully chanted NEW SOUTH WALES! NEW SOUTH WALES!

And then memorable scenes at the end as Jarrod Hayne gathered on the last play after the siren, ran the ball through his own in goal, hurdled the advert boards as the flame torches started firing up in the background and ran straight into the Blatchy's Blues behind the goal. That footage will be aired again and again, and that and his tears sealed Hayne's own return to superstar status.

Edit to say - it looked like this:

And now it's back to Suncorp for a potential (but still unlikely) sweep.

Comment

From the sublime to the ridiculous, Todd Carney sacked by Cronulla for pissing into his own mouth and putting the photo on the internet.

Carney has now been sacked by three different clubs and Cronulla were the only team desperate enough to give him a third chance. Shame cos on his day he was up there with some of the best, and if it hadn't been for his off field arsery would have been a contender for a regular Origin spot for NSW.

Looks like his career is over but I wouldn't rule out Salford having a go.

Comment

I don't follow League that closely, but the reporting of the Carney story has been quite funny, a guide to squeamishness and taste (or lack of) in modern media. Most reports I've heard don't say exactly what he did, it's called "an unsavoury incident" or similar, so you're left guessing (and I guessed wrong).

OK, back to the footy ...

Comment

It's been a while since I've bumped this but we're into the finals and the drama and controversy is being ratcheted up so much you think they were scripting this stuff.

I've not yet watched the Roosters v Cowboys game but the story there was that Easts went 30-0 up and were cruising before WFD household hero Johnathan Thurston led a fightback to 30-30 (which is being touted as the biggest comeback in play off history). After Easts inched ahead in the last five minutes with a drop goal, the Cowboys thought they'd won it with a late try but it was ruled out. There's some division over whether the try was legit, but the prevailing narrative is that the Cowboys have been robbed in Sydney for the third straight year and it's all a conspiracy.

Today's game looked more straightforward on paper, a depleted Manly side against an in form Canterbury, and the Dogs went 18-0 up and were dominating before Manly sneaked on just before half time. The comeback was completed in the second half, and with a man in the bin for the last nine minutes Canterbury were hanging on, before a rare and freak occurrence - a nothing kick on the last tackle hit the ref and triggered an obscure rule, that the attacking side gets a scrum where the ref was standing, setting up a drop goal chance which Canterbury took to go 17-16 up. Manly levelled in the last couple of minutes to take it into golden point, and had an early chance to win it but Daly Cherry Evans passed on a drop goal chance, allowing the Dogs to get up the other end and take their chance. Pleased for James Graham who had a cracking game, setting up two tries and the winning drop, almost playing two positions at once as a forward and half back.

So it's all (greater) Sydney from now on, Easts v Souths in the blockbuster Friday night, and Penrith v Canterbury Saturday. One of SBW and Sam, our protagonists from the start of the thread, will bow out.

Comment

And so it ends with the Burgess and Graham show.

Sam received the kick off, Graham went in for the tackle and left Sam with a suspected fractured cheekbone. Sam played on, creating Souths mythology in real time with John Sattler (who famously played on with a broken jaw in the 1970 GF) watching from the stands.

It was deemed an accident at the time but Graham's tackling was dangerous throughout the game, lucky to get away with a shoulder charge and then knocking Dave Tyrell into the middle of next season, prompting the ref to tell him 'you're the captain, act like one'. That's not to say that was his sole contribution, he was in the middle of everything, setting up Canterbury's try and in the thick of defence and attack throughout.

Not to be outdone, George Burgess came back on after a potential concussion and scored a decisive try in a fine performance - it'll be all eyes on him next season with Sam out of the way.

Canterbury collapsed in the last ten minutes amid a flood of emotion at Souths' long awaited Premiership, with Souths' players bursting into tears before the game had even finished (this is the year when RL players learned to cry, evidently). Worthy champions and a long time in the making. They'll miss Sam though, and we all will.

Comment

And Channel 9, the bunch of useless fucking tosspots cut the WA broadcast right on the whistle.

Comment

Time breaks you.
                                                  I remember climbing the light pylon at Redfern oval sometime in the late 80s to lob some gentle spittle flecked abuse on Bozo Fulton as we humped his Manly silvertails. I remember what I wore, an All Blacks rugby top with the silver ferm carefully picked off & the 1st half page of Kafka's The Trial scratched on with liquid paper, as always the symbiosis between great art & the league supporter obvious.
                                                  This was the game, & team, I loved. A league that hadn't much shifted from the Bondi/Lidcombe corridor of it's birth, only accepting St George & Manly because everyone needs an arsehole to scratch.
                                                  But now I'm not so sure. Rugby League has never been comfortable with evolution. Eighty thousand people watching when once you knew most of the home crowd, & a good proportion of theirs, & players nicknamed Panda, Piggo or Chook could forge careers when deceptive speed was still deceptive, when "big" Artie could still fit through your doorway & love, a team could still be called the "Bluebags"!
                                                  I marched with the 4000/40,000/400,000 when "big" Rupe dropped the shoulder, cancelled my Fox subscription then took my lad to the park & explained that sporting balls needn't have pointed ends. I knew that whatever happened I'd never take that walk to Redfern again, stopping for a kebab from Abdul's & a glass of that sticky sour lemon squash. Miss those kebabs.
                                                  In exile I heard about their return, the wooden spoons, Maximus rising, Piggo falling. Big money, big players, big ideas, same old Bunnies.
                                                  But On Sunday I loved it.
                                                  If we had to lose to anyone I would've been ok with the Berries. They're a great community club, an amalgam of three families whose members all looked like British poultry breeds but who have integrated families from most of the world 's hardest luck spots. But fuck I wish it was Manly, or the Roosters, or Balmain we beat. I wish we'd played The Maggies in the semis, thumped Newtown along the way, wished you could get a decent kebab in England. Wished I was a kid again.
                                                  I played a bit of Perry Keyes, John Sattler broke his jaw again, I spat on Bozo Fulton again, fantasised about the barmaids at the Shakespeare Hotel again & woke up feeling ok.
                                                  If we make it next year I might watch it.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X