FU - Super League 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FU - Super League 2014

I haven't much to report in terms of actual rugby as I've been on holiday, though will be watching Saints v Warrington later.

Off the field however things are starting to develop next season.

Firstly the World Club Challenge (itself a grand title for a match between the respective winners of two leagues) becomes the World Club Series, with three NRL teams making the trip to play three Super League teams. So far so good but note it didn't say the top three NRL playing the top three SL. The champions will still play each other, but the other two games will be Souths and Brisbane (probably, unless one wins the NRL) playing whichever two teams fancy trying to pull a crowd (so Wigan and Leeds, unless one wins the SL). So its the old WCC plus two friendlies basically.

More pleasingly, the other end of the season will see NZ visit for a three test series, the way they used to make them. Pleasingly because it will be the first time England play at home since the World Cup (and provides lots of 'rematch' / Big Hit II marketing context re the World Cup). Less pleasingly this replaces the mooted GB tour of Australia. I was never fully convinced by this in the first place (returning to the GB brand so soon after killing it off looked a bit desperate), but it proves Australia's lack of enthusiasm on the international front (and the emerging power of the players' association).

Before all that, locally we have Scotland v Wales being played in Workington next month, a pat on the head for Workington's (relatively) bumper crowds for the two Scotland games in the World Cup, and guaranteed to draw a larger crowd than Scotland's real home game in Galashiels.

Comment

FU - Super League 2014

Fucking French bastards.

Comment

FU - Super League 2014

With Huby now apparently set for Huddersfield next season and Clark signing for Warrington it seems the big boys are set to cherry pick the Cas squad.

Pity. Powell has done a great job there.

Comment

FU - Super League 2014

Such a shame for Cas, but as the Cup Final showed (and Huddersfield did last year) when it comes to the big crunch games, the big 4 always just seem to have that extra edge.

With the top 5 teams only split by 3 points over a full season its going to be really tight and tough to predict who'll win at OT in October; suspensions and crucially injuries will have a huge impact (though I do tend to ignore Sky Sports insinuations that St Helens are riddled with injuries whereas other clubs are not). However, hat in the ring time, even though they "only" finished fifth, I think that Warrington are the form horse and look the most likely of winners.

Comment

FU - Super League 2014

Wigan currently ripping The Giants apart. 24-0 and not yet even half time.

Dunno if it's my old eyes but Sky's editing seems all over the shop zooming in and out so much some of the play is being missed. Not something I normally notice but it's really jarring tonight.

Comment

FU - Super League 2014

At last some drama in the play offs, and commiserations Tony C. I didn't see any of the Warrington v Widnes game but caught the end of the Leeds v Catalan game, and what an end it was - Tom Briscoe, poor lad.

Comment

FU - Super League 2014

Just got back from three days up north. Did Wigan v Huddersfield, St Helens v Cas and Warrington v Widnes.

Wigan wwere immense. Speed into tackles and their handling was top class. Huddersfield looked bereft of ideas without Brough. Once Wigan wwent a couple of tries up, Huddersfield were lost. Though it could have been different if Ferres had of scored his early try.

St Helens were far from impressive. Saw them at home to Wakefield a couple of weeks ago and they trundled to a win. This was more of the same, with Cas just looking a spent force wwho have always been dodgy at the back. Saints rely massively on Roby.

Wire Widenes was by far the best game. Widnes scored two early trys, both taps into the corner, then the full back scored one breaking down the centre. Warrington then wwoke up and scored just before and straight after half time, then got a couple more. The kicking in the game was exceptional, both from Tickle and Ratchford. Widnes looked a bit lost towards the end and Wire hung on. I always think Warrington is the best new ground in any sport. Right in the town centre with two sides of terracing. A really cracking atmosphere, ruined only by Thaler insisting on going to the video ref for every single try.

From wwhat I saw of the three games, Wigan would be clear favourites. Only other possibility is Warrington, but they keep letting the opposition have decent starts so are chasing the game.

Comment

FU - Super League 2014

Walt Flanagans Dog wrote: At last some drama in the play offs, and commiserations Tony C. I didn't see any of the Warrington v Widnes game but caught the end of the Leeds v Catalan game, and what an end it was - Tom Briscoe, poor lad.
                  Gutted (for the Vikings not so much Briscoe).

Comment

FU - Super League 2014

Just seen what Flower did for his second minute red card. Christ, has there ever been a more merited one in the history of sport? Given it thoroughly undermined his team in their biggest match of the season, one would hope some serious disciplinary action will come his way from his club, over and above any official ban he gets.

The police may also have a view.

Comment

FU - Super League 2014

For those of you not on Twitter (because I can't imagine any of those who are don't follow garcia)

Proper Castleford commentary.

Comment

FU - Super League 2014

Janik wrote: Just seen what Flower did for his second minute red card. Christ, has there ever been a more merited one in the history of sport? Given it thoroughly undermined his team in their biggest match of the season, one would hope some serious disciplinary action will come his way from his club, over and above any official ban he gets.

The police may also have a view.
                        Fuck me, that reads like a David Mellor 606 transcript.

Comment

FU - Super League 2014

I thought something along those lines whilst writing it, but punching someone pinned defenceless is real scumbaggery. Previous cases have shown that the criminal law doesn't cease at the touchline, so he may have some trouble brewing.

Barrow police join in the hyperbole.

Comment

FU - Super League 2014

Just from a point of view of the respective clubs' histories, and my dislike of playoffs following proper (eg everyone plays everyone) league seasons, I'm very happy for Saints. Five times running in the past (Twice as "league shield winners" or whatever they call it) they'd gone to a Grand Final and lost, today they've become the first league winners to win the Grand Final since 2010.

Haven't seen the game or "the punch" because we've out for a family meal but it sounds like one of the daftest moments in the history of sport, up there alongside Zidane's headbutt on Materazzi. Is there a gif yet?

Comment

FU - Super League 2014

Gif and longer video here.

I'm just back in, a tense evening even for us part-time Saints fans, with an immense sense of relief at the end. Me and thing one suffered many of those five defeats, in fact the last win we saw was in 2002, when he was so frightened by the start of the fireworks he jumped into my arms - he's nearly taller than me now and a bit more relaxed about loud noises.

The punch has certainly been heard around the world, even little Micky Owen is chipping in from China, Gary Lineker has had his say and Joey Barton feels sorry for Ben Flower.

He's let his teammates down, he's let the fans down, he's let himself down, but most of all he's let Sir Bradley Wiggins down.

I can't help but draw a connection between this and what happened in the first minute of the NRL final last week. Then, Sam Burgess and James Graham had spent all week answering questions about each other, the final was being built up as the 'Battle of the Poms', and their first clash on the field resulted in Sam's broken cheekbone. Tonight there was no equivalent rivalry between Flower and Hohaia but the build up centred on the 'bitter rivalry' between Saints and Wigan, and Masoe and Flower were picked out as the big powerhouses to watch. Not to excuse what happened, but just pointing out the hype that goes into these things and the increasing emphasis on physical power.

Saints have got a few months to rest, none of them apparently being good enough / willing to go down under for the Four Nations, and then have got the Sam-less Souths to look forward to in February.

Comment

FU - Super League 2014

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/29593523

Since putting out that statement, the police have received a public complaint. They told the complaint to get stuffed. He then phoned FiveLive to whine about the police telling him this was none of his business.

Comment

FU - Super League 2014

Six month ban. But a substantial chunk of that is during the closed season, so there is an element of symbolism involved here.

The police may yet get involved. But probably not.

Comment

FU - Super League 2014

Yep, effectively an 11 game ban, only three more than would be expected for that grade, so they haven't stepped far outside the guidelines.

Comment

Working...
                                    X