Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schumacher "critical"

...After a skiing accident, apparently.

Doesn't sound good, though I hope I'm wrong. The longer that one is in a coma, the worse the damage usually is.

Schumacher "critical"

Yeah, it seems bad. The situation got worse overnight, so that's not encouraging.

His 14 year old son was with him at the time; poor lad must have a tough time processing.

Comment

Schumacher "critical"

This sounds really ominous. Earlier reports said he was conscious and described the injury as "serious but not life-threatening" so I thought he'd be OK. Have only just seen the update. Really hope he comes out of it and ends up OK.

Comment

Schumacher "critical"

Now "fighting for his life".

Comment

Schumacher "critical"

On my F1 feed it seemed like nothing much. Even if there were no trees, skiing off-piste hasn't been good for the rich, powerful, or famous (thinking of Natasha Richardson, that one Kennedy, or Sonny Bono.)

I love this vid of him racing with a Tony Kart.

Comment

Schumacher "critical"

The well-wishes from former associates/drivers had me misty as well.

Comment

Schumacher "critical"

The cruel irony...

Comment

Schumacher "critical"

Really sad news.

He was off piste in an area I used to ski quite a bit. (before kids and school holiday pricing effects)
                Looking at the area where it happened it is right under Saulire which is one of the main ways you come if you are doing the Trois Vallées route from Courcheval to Val Thorens.
                It is steepish in that bit, but lots of pistes as well, reds , blacks and even a long blue, so the off piste would have been very open, and more a shadowing of a piste, or a cut across type rather than gully/couloire or super tricky type, so I guess too speedy, very fast fall and impact, rather that dropping off something. It could easily have happened on piste; but usually there are no rocks around on pistes.

He was wearing a helmet; but while that can save you from actual impact death, the old brain still does it's own movement inside the skull, and you get the impetus inside the skull pressing and damaging.

Looking at the footage of Shumi skiing, especially his attempts at slalom racing, his style seemed more of a goodish piste skier rather than an all terrain guy.

I was also thinking when I was watching the news, I gave up long ago trying to outpace my sons at speed at skiing, especially off piste, they learn with no fear, and adults are too slow in reacting and heavy. It's a tough lesson in humility, and I am no where in the same league as Shumi on an inbuilt competitive streak.

I hope he recovers, although signs are not good, like G-Man says what his son who was with him must be going through, cannot be imagined.

Comment

Schumacher "critical"

"Slight improvement" according to the Beeb site. Will definitely settle for that for now

Comment

Schumacher "critical"

Still in a medically-supported coma after 18 days, apparently. A doctor (not his) was quoted in my paper this morning that once it gets to the two-week stage, it's less than 50-50 that a coma patient will ever wake up.

Comment

Schumacher "critical"

Even if the coma is induced, as opposed to natural? It's really looking bad though. I remember Massa's terrible injury, he was in a coma for three days but by this point he was up and wanting to race again (though wasn't allowed to for some months).

Comment

Schumacher "critical"

Schumacher off the respirator ...allegedly.

Comment

Schumacher "critical"

I don't know much about these things but the last para seems heavy with foreboding. Or maybe these recoveries are just very slow.

Comment

Schumacher "critical"

I received a text from Live 24 Racing that he's out of the coma.

It's weird how happy that made me.

Comment

Schumacher "critical"

He's not only out of the coma, he's out of the hospital.

I think we have a long road ahead here, however. They said he was responding to family, but that might just be nodding. I somehow doubt he's woken up and asked what happened in the Grands Prix this year.

Comment

Schumacher "critical"

There was a brain surgeon on a few months ago, who said that when bruising occurs between the two hemispheres it's basically permanent brain damage. Which is exactly what he had.

I hope he and his family can, you know.

Comment

Schumacher "critical"

jasoń voorhees wrote: I received a text from Live 24 Racing that he's out of the coma.

It's weird how happy that made me.
                                  you're speaking for me here too.

Wonderful news.

Comment

Schumacher "critical"

Bild now reporting that his medical records have been stolen from the hospital in Grenoble.

Comment

Schumacher "critical"

I'd missed Jason's update last week. It's good obviously, but still so, so tragic.

Comment

Working...
                                      X