No announcement yet.

MLB 2024: Stolen Bases and Treatment Tables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Every time I turned on the last series to watch a couple of innings the Padres seemed to be coming unstuck and yet, somehow, there's a very rare series win against the Dodgers

Comment

Busch was the minor league player of the year for the Dodgers last season. I don't know what he's hitting now, but he's a hitter. The Dodgers also have another guy in their system (Vargas) who is being blocked. Vargas was supposed to be the best hitter in the system. I fear the Dodgers are going to do to him what the Yankees did to Andujar. Anyway, Busch wasn't going to unseat Freeman, so he was traded. I'd expect he should be a good hitter. Then the question will be if he can hold it down defensively.

Comment

.327 with five home runs and a 1.1 OPS

Because we cannot have nice things, Suzuki went on the 10 day IL today

Comment

Make that six home runs.

Busch has homered in five consecutive games.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
            Make that six home runs.

Busch has homered in five consecutive games.
            That matches the record. NBD.

Comment

The pitching injury story continued to feature on every broadcast I saw this past weekend. Someone said this but I can't remember who and I'm surprised more folks didn't respond in the same way: The pitch clock is contributing to these injuries. There was no pitch clock up until the game slowed down to an insanely slow pace in the 1990s. And the injuries were less prevalent. Pitchers worked quickly without a clock forcing them. No different than now, but the clock forces the pace.

Comment

Aaaargh.

Comment

https://twitter.com/vodkasnowflake/status/1780585894145056899

Comment

Double aaargh

Comment

Dodgers shitting the bed against the Forces of Darkness

Comment

A friend texted me that this is the fourth time the Dodgers have stranded the bases loaded. I'm not clear if that is to end a game or just in general. Defense has been poor. And so far Yamamoto is showing amazing stuff mixed with fifth starter stuff. I'm hoping this road trip turns things around. Oddly, a few years back mirrored this one: losing a series to the Cubs was followed by a major dip in form. But that might have been the 111 win season.

Comment

Call me Rip van Winkle. The Yankees are actually playing well. And I mean 'playing'. Our defence is invisible, and 'we' are actually beating up on teams (fuck you Houston.)

We are going to get found out in about 3 weeks time. Set your clock for a couple of 4 game loss streaks. I mean, we're going to win the whole thing, but what's the point if you don't suck?

Comment

I should probably quantify by saying that, yes, shit teams have won the water... sorry, World Series. Hello Texas.

I haven't read the thread (although probably commented more than once previously, because I am that sort of chump), so I get to criticise your choices, in a while. Much love.

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post
                              The Dodgers and Padres fly to South Korea in two days and the season will begin soon, so I'm continuing with my annual fool's errand: picking winners.

I think picking playoff teams is probably easier than division winners, where the Dodgers and Atlanta are probably a lock and that’s it. But my general lack of confidence picking winners is exacerbated by a couple years into the new playoff system and watching the powerhouses sink because of pitching injuries.

AL East
                              Baltimore
                              Rays
                              Yankees
                              Jays
                              Red Sox

I am not confident in any of these teams. Baltimore has a lot of talent. I wrote last season that I was not confident in their starting pitching. Adding Burnes is a huge get but I don’t know what to think about the rest of the starting staff. I also think that some of the upstarts suffer from Twins syndrome: hot one season, cold the next, repeat. Rays just keep on keepin’ on. Jays have bit me in the butt too many times. If Cole is out for any length of time, Yankees are in trouble.

AL Central
                              White Sox
                              Cleveland
                              Tigers
                              Twins
                              Royals

White Sox under-performed. People talk about them blowing up the team. That actually hasn’t happened. They got rid of veterans who either fell (Lance Lynn) or were injured a lot (Grandol). But I should say that this division should have to play in AAA. It’s bad and I’m choosing among a lot of bad. Twins have the most talent but these guys are injured all the time.

AL West
                              Houston
                              Seattle
                              Rangers
                              Angels
                              As

I think Houston will run away with it so I guess I should have listed them above with Dodgers and Atlanta. Pitching injuries have me feeling like the Rangers will drop off.

NL East
                              Atlanta
                              Philadelphia
                              Mets
                              Florida
                              Nats

I think the Mets will surprise but not enough. Nats will be better but not enough. Marlins will fall back.

NL Central
                              Reds
                              Cubs
                              Cards
                              Brewers
                              Pirates

I think Reds and Cubs will be close. Reds upside is higher for me, but Cubs have more established talent. I would have preferred the Cubs signed someone like Montgomery (not knowing how well he has pitched at Wrigley). Cardinals signed a bunch of old guys and I’m not buying the supposed young talent. I don't see two teams coming out of the Central so ideally I am wrong with this one and the Cubs win the division.

NL West
                              Dodgers
                              Padres
                              D-backs
                              Giants
                              Rockies

Rockies will be horrible. D-backs pitching is solid, but their hot playoff run was counter to their season. Of course, I’d rather have a hot playoff run than winning 100+ and being out in the first round. Padres will rebound after shedding some superstars. I think they will finally play like they should have been playing before Preller forgot how to build a team. Giants will be better without Kapler.

AL Wild Card: Rays, Yankees, Rangers
                              NL Wild Card: Phillies, Padres, D-backs

WS: Atlanta over Houston

I could easily go Dodgers over Houston. I think the Dodgers pitching is better and Atlanta’s starters seem to wear out. Dodgers seem built better to overcome tired pitching and they have strategized to overcome late injuries (i.e., having Buehler start late, re-signing Kershaw who won’t be ready until late). But the Dodgers have multiple guys playing out of position and that is going to be a major problem once the playoffs begin. Muncy who is technically not playing out of position is not good at third. The team defense makes me very nervous--not during the season but during the playoffs.

Daniel, I think you are wonderful.

Aside from all the hilarity, I actually wouldn't mind any final, where someone beats the shit out of Houston. They can fuck off until my dying day, but, I bequeathed them my ashes, so they can fuck off, a little more.

Comment

Comedy gold, Jerry

click through for multiple clips

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1782485035167457438?s=12&t=xvOireV8JOIS_CpbTtDBow

Comment

Has Hunter Wendelstedt got a reputation (like I know who Angel Hernandez is and I hardly watch beisbol)?

Comment

Hernandez is in a class of his own, but Wendelstedt is in the next tier, with CJ Bucknor

He is a classic nepo baby, his father having been a senior umpire in the National Leqgue for decades

Comment

That's nuts. Expanded video replay is needed. Haha.

Comment

https://twitter.com/secretbase/status/1782809512245871047

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                                          Has Hunter Wendelstedt got a reputation (like I know who Angel Hernandez is and I hardly watch beisbol)?
                                          here is his scorecard for that game. That strike accuracy rate is abysmal.

https://twitter.com/UmpScorecards/status/1782779194532896873

Comment

They have the chance to do something special

Comment

It took me a while to find 2024.

Comment

Your 2024 Chisox

Runs scored: 53 (last in MLB)
                                                Run differential: -82 (last)
                                                Team BA: .182 (last)
                                                Team HR: 14 (last)
                                                Team Hits: 143 (last)
                                                Team OBP: .263 (last)
                                                Team Slug: .292 (last)
                                                Team ERA: 5.20 (2nd last)
                                                Wins: 3 (last)​

Comment

I wonder what the latest into the season a team's batting average has been below the Mendoza line.

Comment

So many runners stranded.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X