No announcement yet.

MLB 2024: Stolen Bases and Treatment Tables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joe Kelly gets lucky with some poor decisions on the basepaths. This guy. I think I'm going to take some time off from him when he comes in and switch to something else. He is painful. I swear he is Kimbrell redux. Either doesn't have the control to throw strikes or just gets too cute and works himself into trouble.

Comment

Forgot to say that when I was on my way home from work, a bunch of Cubs fans got on the train. One of the women who lacked any sense of an inside voice announced to the car that her mom told her that the Cubs had re-acquired Rizzo in a trade. That was her mom's April Fools joke.

Comment

Pretty great first outing for Imanaga.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
          The Orioles are going to score in double digits in every game
          God I wish.

Comment

Originally posted by jefe View Post

God I wish.
            With Kimbrel blowing saves, you might need that wish to come true.

Comment

Jim Palmer has to have a portrait in the attic.

He is 78 and could pass for 55 or less.

Grant Hill is developing an interesting portfolio of equity interests in sports franchises: Atlanta Hawks, Orlanso City, Orlando Pride and now the O's..

Baby Bears following the danielmak recipe for dealing with Colorado.

Comment

Can't remember where I saw it now, but saw a good line about Mike Trout giving us the first 40 HR/40 RBI season this year.

Comment

https://twitter.com/IE_MLB/status/1775359439488340402

And the Dodgers win a bullpen game.

Comment

I haven't read this yet and am not likely to have time until this weekend but Hannah Keyser talked about it on MLB Now. She was clear on MLB Now about the thesis but not really about the reason why most DHs aren't that good compared to outfield players when comparing hitting stats. Al Leiter was the other guest and since he's often long-winded, his thesis for any general idea gets lost. But he said something very interesting about DHs. In the past, these guys had been outfield players, were good hitters, but aged and slowed down and couldn't hold it down in the field. But they were still professional hitters: Paul Molitor, Edgar Martiznes, Don Baylor, Harold Baines. The guys who DH now either rotate (a model I like until I heard Keyser's thesis) or basically HR or bust (Ohtani being an exception). Leiter's point seemed to be missed by Brian Kenny and Keyser.

https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2024/3...sal-dh-decline

Comment

Leiter is also comparing across eras -- you could argue that the cause of the home-run-or-bust DH model is a combination of analytics, i.e. The Three True Outcomes, plus a selection preference for older position players as DH, i.e. players whose batspeed has deteriorated enough that they need to rely on guesswork against hurlers who are historically far more all about the gas.

Comment

Yeah, Brian Kenny called Leiter out for namechecking HOF guys, but seemed to miss the time period.

In other news, the Dodgers are currently playing the Giants and I was thinking about some great baseball nicknames but trying to make sense of some of my favorites that might have stuck but perhaps not totally fitting.

The first is Hard Hittin' Mark Whitten. His MLB Reference page shows that his best HR season was only lower-mid 20s. He basically earned that nickname based on one 4 HR game. Of course, I'd love to have a 4 HR game on my resume, but it's a great nickname based on one game as far as I can tell.

The other one I love is Late Night Lamonte for Lamonte Wade (Giants) based on some late game winning hits/homers (esp. games on the West Coast, so very late night for the East Coast bias crew). But finding how many games led to that Late Night Lamonte moniker isn't as easy to find. Is this nickname akin to Whitten or does Lamonte have a more consistent track record of winning games late?

Either way, two great nicknames.

Comment

Ohtani’s first homer as a Dodger coming at home against the Giants…perfect.

https://twitter.com/dodgers/status/1775737971041559023s=46&t=XWBbq7KwXGYszKQTewI5fw

Ohtani’s homers are the best-sounding thing in sports

Comment

The A's have said that they will be playing in the Sacramento for 2025-27, in the River Cats' ballpark. The River Cats say that they aren't moving, so they will apparently be sharing the ground. Not sure how MLB and MiLB will be coordinating on that scheduling. The stadium has a 14,000 capacity, which will probably still be too much for A's games.

Comment

This is more complicated than the Blue Jays playing in Buffalo, because the International League didn't play in 2020.

On the other hand, they have the offseason to tart up the ballpark. And the A's players are used to playing in a dump.

Comment

I know nothing about the stadium. But I can imagine that visiting teams will not enjoy a stay in Sacramento as much as they would have being closer or in SF.

Comment

That was very much true with Buffalo and Toronto

I wonder if any club will consider staying in Napa or Sonoma.

Comment

Speaking of the DH, Morel is hitting really well so far but his fielding is worse than ever. Might be time to give him the role, not that the Cubs have many great options at third.

Comment

The MiLB schedule is much less higgledy piggledy than the major league. The deal struck with MLB as part of player welfare and development and to minimise travel sees them run six game homestands from Tuesday to Sunday against the same opponents with the Monday off.

What are the chances of Sacramento games getting shifted to somewhere like Stockton (who are an A's affiliate) or a nearer, smaller ballpark maybe for the weekday games.

Comment

I guess it is possible, though the owners of the RiverCats (who also own the NBA Kings) would expect compensation

Comment

*sigh*

Comment

They are much better than we are

Comment

True, but dropping "easy" catches doesn't help. To be fair, Happ's wasn't that easy.

If we could just play only the innings when we're batting, that would be great.

Comment

That's more like it.

Comment

No idea how Betts was not given an error.

Comment

Oh thank fuck.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X