• Show
Clear All

Re: What a Burke!, the hockey thread

Where's Jeff?

He even did up his tie.

Comment

This could be good actually. There's no love lost between Burke and Kevin Lowe and, supposedly, even less between Burke and Mike Gillis.

This can only add to the fun out here in the West, especially as each of the clubs is at a different point in their trajectory.

Comment

I've been out all day with my parents who are here holidaying at present, and have had to explain who he is/the Flames management hierarchy to them (having taken them to a game on a previous visit), as well as the Burke/Lowe back story.

There's been a clamour for a good couple of years to get a 'hockey guy' to come in and direct hockey operations because of the perceived "interference" of Ken King/ownership in day-to-day affairs. King has eventually gone from the team president to overseeing the whole Flames empire (Stampeders, Hitmen, Roughnecks, Abbotsford Heat, new arena, possible new football stadium) so there's definitely a need for closer oversight/input in hockey operations.

It might be nice to be on the right end of a trade for a change.

Comment

If Burke wants to fight Lowe in a barn, what does he have in mind for Gillis?

Steel cage death match on a barge in the harbour?

Comment

Possibly.

To be decided by Burke's blood pressure or Gillis's heart attack. They have to be two of the unhealthiest looking individuals in professional hockey management.

In other possible hockey conflicts, John Tortorella has bought a house not a mile from me in Point Roberts WA. His wife hasn't seen it, or visited the area.

The possible consequences of this can only be appreciated by a) realising the last city they lived in was New York, and b) looking up Point Roberts on a map. I really, really hope he's arranged a Nexus card for her.

Comment

That seems like kind of a weird move to save a few bucks in taxes.

And it's just a few bucks, right?

Comment

I'd imagine so. The last Canuck to live in Point Roberts was Alex Mogilny. But that was when the US dollar was rampant, and you were routinely waved through at the border.

Comment

Indeed.

Torts' first trip back into Canada after a particularly bad Cancucks' loss has the potential to be an interesting encounter.

Comment

This seems to be the closest we have to a NHL thread for the current season, so:

The Flyers have fired LaViolette after three games (all losses, with a total of three goals scored).

I've never been a big fan of him, but he really isn't the problem there.

Comment

Whatever the sport, whenever someone fires a coach or manager a few games into a season, it's surely a strong indicator of an organisation that's lost its way. or so it seems to me.

Here in Nuxland the local hacks are doing their best to bait Tortorella into saying something, anything, outrageous. At the post game presser on Saturday, there was an audible "YESSSS!" when JT replied "I don't give a shit," to a "question" about some comment Glenn Healey had made about him on HNiC. It's twelve-year-old schoolyard stuff. Pathetic.

Comment

Nice comeback tonight to get Lou the win in OT in Schneider's return to town.

They still don't look convincing, though.

There were two minutes left in the third when the Red Sox -Rays game ended.

Comment

I've yet to catch more than snatches of any games so far, so must reserve judgement.

[how come when I edit the thread title — which I have — it doesn't show up on the forum page?]

Comment

Well, this is all very strange. Points in four straight games.

It might all go pop very quickly, but it's nice - while it lasts - to see a team committed to hard work and attacking hockey.

Comment

After losing 9-2 in San Jose, the Rangers are down 5-0 in the second period in Anaheim.

And if you think that Calgary getting points is strange, the Leafs have the best record in the league.

Comment

Sounds like my cue to return, again, and possibly less briefly than last time. I will really soon, anyway, but I have to take my son to daycare right now.

Next time, though, there's still a few things about that Leafs-Bruins series about which I'd been meaning to unburden myself of on here, but by the time I felt emotionally capable of doing so (around say mid-September), the thread was well-buried, and the rest of the world had long since moved on. Aren't you guys lucky.

Comment

Going back to taxes for a second.

I heard that Paul Beeston used to have to educate agents on taxes - that due to the tax treaty, you would be taxed as if you were a resident of State X or Y, and therefore somebody like Roger Clemens took a significant tax hit when he went from the Blue Jays to the Yankees.

If that's still in effect then it makes Torts living in Point Roberts even stranger. You wonder if these guys are getting bad advice and putting themselves through agita they don't have to go through.

Turning this into a general Canadian sports theme, it does remove a hurdle to the Expos returning.

Comment

Dallas Eakins pulled his goalie with about four and half minutes remaining in the third period last night, and seemed to completely flummox the Habs in doing so.

It didn't "work", though the Oilers, who were down 3-1, did hit a post and generally dominate possession for four minutes until Pacioretty scored a nice empty net snipe, but it was an interesting tactical ploy that I'd like to see more of.

Comment

Tortorella did the same with about three and a half minutes left. It didn't work for him either. The Sharks totally own the Nux anyway, so much so that it's really hard to evaluate either team based on their games.

Comment

This is unfortunately true.

I caught some of the third period last night, and both teams seemed to be just going through the motions.

Comment

I too only watched the third — and the last five minutes of the first — and didn't see much that would encourage me to watch more.

This may be the season I lose interest in hockey. Again.

Comment

As frustrating as the lockout was, the short regular season did have its advantages.

That said, the Edmonton - Montreal game was quite intense.

It's interesting to me that the New York media aren't blaming Vigneault for the Rangers' tire fire start to the season. It's been all about the players. It will be interesting to see how long that lasts.

Comment

It's taken too long but the Canucks finally got it right. Pavel Bure's number will be retired tomorrow.

Comment

Took me a while to find this was the current hockey thread...

Anyhow, a little update from the Swiss League where some strange things are happening...Bern, the big club with the highest crowd average in Europe, is having a mare of a season. Right now they'd do well to be in the playoffs...On the other hand, tiny Ambri-Piotta, after many seasons of struggling is having a whale of a time...Thank to, ironically, Lugano's win against Davos, they are now 2pts clear at the top. Having won THE derby against Lugano, also not having a great season, earlier in the week, I guess there must be some very happy people in the Ticino valleys right now...

League table

Comment

Took me a while to find this was the current hockey thread...

I know. I don't how to change the title. I've tried a number of times.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X