Ochlympics: Ay fond kiss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Commonwealth, schmuck-on-wealth. The ticket applications brochure is out, who else is going? Ultonia to challenge in the crown-green bowling and small-bore shooting, I don't think our best hope (rowing) is in it this time.

The opening ceremony at Celtic FC should be fun. Nearly as good as picking a village outside Britain with nae culture, what?

I'm going for the duration, applied already for all the Track Cycling Finals and Athletics evening sessions through the official Australia & Malta/Cyprus sellers.

I'll do the same again on the official Glasgow application to treble my chances of getting anything as well as go for some boxing*, swimming, Rugby 7s** and the netball, hockey and bowls finals.

Then I'll see when they all come back if I have next to nothing or loads of duplicates and/or clashes that I have to sell on or pull out of buying (which the Malta/Cyprus seller allows you to do).

* Boxing should be a potential source of medals for Wales but already our leading candidates are ineligible as they have signed up for the new AIBA competitions which allow them to earn money and retain Olympic status but not compete in the Commonwealths.

** My only worry about Rugby 7s is that being at Hampden it might be one of the more plentiful tickets to come by like the football in the Olympics. Lots of people got football tickets in the first round of applications for 2012 and because they were successful in that didn't qualify for the second and third round of applications where a lot of good events were up for grabs

Comment

Oh and applause for the thread title. I'll be nicking that.

Comment

Thanks Harry, I'll be adding you to the Glaswegian cadre as a go to guy. Athletics and swimming the main draws for me, might have to take a look at the egg-chasing in football's absence?

Comment

I'll be applying for some athletics finals (quite fancy the Friday night) plus something completely random, will probably wait for the next round of applications before deciding on what. I'll also take in the freebies like the Marathons and Road Cycling, the TT's are apparently going to be in my manor, which is nice.

Comment

I'm hoping to get up there for some athletics tickets.

Comment

Harry Truscott wrote:
              My only worry about Rugby 7s is that being at Hampden it might be one of the more plentiful tickets to come by like the football in the Olympics.
              I think the 7s are mostly (all?) at Ibrox rather than Hampden. Still about the same capacity though, so your concern's still valid.

Comment

Sorry, yes they are. Brain short-circuited there from looking at the schedule for two weeks!

Comment

Don't know how players are picked for the bowls, but in principle they should be as strong as a World Championship, as pretty much every major bowls-playing country is in the Commonwealth.

Comment

I've just received confirmation that I've got 2 tickets for the Friday (1st Aug) evening session at the athletics. There the cheapest ones so presumably behind the goals, as it were.

Comment

I got tickets for the family for five nights of the athletics finals, two evenings of swimming finals and an artistic gymnastics finals session as well as three of the four rugby sevens sessions. Some clashes there so will not do all of them.

I have some bowls and boxing finals too. No track cycling (oversubscribed 25 times over) and, more surprisingly perhaps, no hockey or netball either probably because I went for semis/finals.

Will look at what I can pick up from Australia resellers in the above sports and then work out my strategy for the second ballot.

Comment

After coming off worst in the Olympic ballots I wasn't expecting much success, but I'm delighted to have copped for an evening session at the velodrome, as well as some athletics sessions - missed out on the Diving, however.

Comment

I would love to see the bowls, but I suspect I am too late.

My brother has tickets for the opening ceremony, and I suspect that will be a right laugh.

I am so looking forward to it.

I was going to get very annoyed at the thread title, but I was too busy laughing. Nice one DG.

Comment

Surely this should've been announced on Tuesday...

Comment

[quote=Gerontophile post=841808]My brother has tickets for the opening ceremony, and I suspect that will be a right laugh.

quote]

we went to the Manchester opening ceremony, and whilst I do know that we had a great time, my only actual memory of it is Trevor Brooking commiserating with my (now) wife after a security lady cut open her scotch egg to check she wasn't smuggling in anything untoward. That and we all got a free Wispa.

Comment

gavc23 wrote:

my only actual memory of it is Trevor Brooking commiserating with my (now) wife after a security lady cut open her scotch egg to check she wasn't smuggling in anything untoward. That and we all got a free Wispa.
                                #AccidentalPartridge

Comment

Harry Truscott wrote:
                                  Originally posted by gavc23

my only actual memory of it is Trevor Brooking commiserating with my (now) wife after a security lady cut open her scotch egg to check she wasn't smuggling in anything untoward. That and we all got a free Wispa.
                                  #AccidentalPartridge
                                  excellent, very proud - thanks!...best not mention my Curly Watts story though

Comment

Ultonia team for fighting and small bore shooting announced

Comment

I assumed that that was going to be something about Gonzo...

Comment

Cycling teams announced.

England
                                        Women's track endurance: Lizzie Armitstead, Dani King, Joanna Rowsell, Laura Trott
                                        Men's track endurance: Steven Burke, Ed Clancy, Jon Dibben, Andy Tennant
                                        Women's track sprint: Dannielle Khan, Jess Varnish, Vicky Williamson
                                        Men's track sprint: Matt Crampton, Kian Emadi, Philip Hindes, Jason Kenny
                                        Para cycling tandem: Sophie Thornhill, Helen Scott (pilot)
                                        Women's mountain bike: Alice Barnes, Beth Crumpton, Annie Last
                                        Men's mountain bike: David Fletcher, Paul Oldham
                                        Women's road: Lizzie Armitstead, Hannah Barnes, Lucy Garner, Dani King, Emma Pooley, Joanna Rowsell, Laura Trott
                                        Men's road: Stephen Cummings, Jon Dibben, Alex Dowsett, Tom Moses, Ian Stannard, Andy Tennant, Scott Thwaites, Sir Bradley Wiggins

Wiggins (he and Dowsett will target the TT) is also a track possibility if he misses out on the Tour. The women's road team looks very strong.

Australia

Wales

Scotland

Northern Ireland (page includes a lot of events)

Very bizarrely, and disappointingly, South Africa will not send a team for the mens' road race due to some rankings bollocks calculation that the SA Games Committee dreamt up ("the athletes aren't top-5 in the rankings if looking at Commonwealth athletes only" or something). The team could have included Impey, van Rensburg and Meintjes, for example, all good pros - and Impey (wearer of the yellow jersey in last year's TdF!) would definitely have been a contender. Arses to them.

Comment

Cycling SA have appealed. Fingers crossed.

Comment

Big blow to Welsh medal hopes as Becky James withdraws due to injury.

Comment

With her and Non Stanford out our two best hopes have gold have gone.

Comment

Don't rule out Geraint Thomas and Luke Rowe, though, for the time trial and/or the road race.

Ed - that is, if Thomas fancies it off the back of the Tour!

Comment

No, not ruled out. We have chances in other sports like Boxing too but James and Stanford would have been favourites for their events.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X