Let's Go Bedsy!!!! New North American Hockey Thread For 2023-2024

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's Go Bedsy!!!! New North American Hockey Thread For 2023-2024

The NHL season starts in about an hour with Bolts Preds.
    Later on we'll get the opening of the Connor Bedard show vs the Penguins and then the late game will release the Kraken in Vegas.
    Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 10-10-2023, 20:30.

And more

Comment

Bad news...
      Barry Melrose, an Emmy Award-winning hockey analyst for ESPN for nearly 30 years, is retiring after being diagnosed with Parkinson's disease.

Comment

This ain't juniors

https://twitter.com/othernhlcrosby/status/1711920265935159665?s=12&t=xvOireV8JOIS_CpbTtDBow

Comment

The Nux will continue to suffer from a better (probably), but still shaky defence and from being in the most difficult division in the NHL. Still, Demko's fit and and our new baby captain Quinn Hughes looks the part. If the Flames and/or the Kings hit a bumpy spot we might... just might make the playoffs.

Comment

He’s 2/11 now. Overall, Pittsburgh is dominating on faceoffs, but it doesn’t matter. It’s 3-2 Hawks late.

I never again want to hear that the NHL doesn’t try to promote its stars. This broadcast has been all about Bedard and Crosby. Even when Bedard is on the bench, ESPN shows his reaction.

https://youtube.com/shorts/A7KRQf_86xU?feature=shared
            Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 11-10-2023, 02:45.

Comment

Blackhawks win 4-2. Bedard had one assist and Crosby had one goal, but the player of the game was Mrasek in net for Chicago.

Comment

That's not a latter half of a sentence you are going to read often.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                  That's not a latter half of a sentence you are going to read often.
                  Probably not.

Comment

Tapegate

I disagree that this is “unexpected.” I’m not sure if it’s really that serious of a setback.

The jersey thing was turning into a platform for the handful of homophobic players to gain fans on social media.

But I recommend everyone buy some Pride Tape. Hockey tape has millions of household uses.

Former NHL executive Brian Burke has sharply criticized the league's decision to ban players from using rainbow tape.

Comment

Couldn't wish for a better opening result than squishing Connor McJesus and the the Oilers 8-1. Nice to see Boeser rack up four, let's hope it's a sign his personal troubles are behind him. Demko played with the flu and was subbed halfway through the third period when he threw up in his mask. Giving up a single goal against the Oil is almost as good as scoring eight.

Comment

I couldn't help but notice how perfectly symmetrical the game stats were for Edmonton's two goalies.

Skinner - 4 GA, 12 SV. (.750 SV%) 7 equal strength save, 5 pp saves.
                        Campbell - 4 GA, 12 SV, (.750 SV%) 7 equal strength save, 5 pp saves.

The only difference is that Skinner played 5 more minutes.

The Oilers shouldn't be that bad. I doubt they will be very often. But the 8 is a lot more discouraging than the 1, I suspect. McDavid and Draisaitl will find a way to score a bunch of goals more often than not, but they can't be unconcerned with that defensive performance.

Boeser is on pace to score 328 goals. That would be a record.

Unfortunately, the Canucks are probably not that good either, but it's encouraging.

It's nice that Calgary won on the night they honored Chris Snow, their analytics guy who just passed away from ALS. They had his wife and kids drop the puck. I just caught that in the highlights. I can't imagine what that would feel like for them, especially his wife. But it was nice to see the support and the two guys on the ice - I forget who it was - seemed to be genuinely moved.
                        Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 12-10-2023, 19:01.

Comment

It's got to be thoroughly dispiriting to be an Oilers fan. A goalie who is merely better than average would give them a strong shot at a Cup (I mean... look at Vegas.) And yet they've been unable to get one for a long time and throwing money at Jack Campbell was a clear sign of them not even knowing what a good goalie looks like. I know there is the "it's difficult to get free agents to sign in Edmonton" thing but how hard is it to sell "come to Edmonton, watch McDavid and Draisaitl from 120 feet away and pick up a Cup"?

Comment

It shouldn’t be that hard to get FA to sign there with the weapons they have.

Winnipeg just re-signed Connor Hellebuyck, who isn’t even Canadian. The narrative on hockey social media is that Winnipeg us is a god-forsaken shithole, even worse than Edmonton. I don’t actually believe that, but all signs suggested that he did. And yet, he re-signed. If that’s possible, then any body can sign anybody.

It feels like the NHL is in the same place with goalies that the NFL is with quarterbacks. There just aren’t enough good ones and they’re hard to draft and develop. The difference is that QBs are paid the most and goalies are not.

Comment

Filip Forsberg on parade

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                It feels like the NHL is in the same place with goalies that the NFL is with quarterbacks. There just aren’t enough good ones and they’re hard to draft and develop. The difference is that QBs are paid the most and goalies are not.
                                Yeah, I've never really understood that. It's the same with 'keepers in soccer. The best never seem to make as much as an average midfielder.

Anyway the Oil play the Nux again tomorrow in Edmonton. I don't expect my team to come away with more than missing teeth and stitches but we'll see

Comment

A major reason is because goalkeepers and goaltenders rarely become coaches, managers, or general managers.

Analytical models developed for outfield players/skaters also don't work for them.
                                  Last edited by ursus arctos; 13-10-2023, 18:46.

Comment

Well the Bruins, in this the centenary season, have a teenager, Matthew Poitras, on the roster, (Canadian of course) and he's looked exceptional in pre-season. So here's to a great season. Marchand as skipper, Milan Lucic back on the roster and centenary Uni's

Comment

Currently the highest paid goalie, by cap hit, is Carey Price at $10.5m.

Which goes some way to explaining why there are not many goalies in the top 100 paid players. He's on LTIR and will be until the contract runs out at which point he'll retire. And lots of goalies are hot for a while before losing it.

It's just hard to give a goalie a big seven or eight year contract and have much confidence it will be good value. Any contract is a risk but goalies seem to be especially hard to predict.

And they take a while to develop and that's hard to do in the NHL. Even the guys who do get picked in the first round and manage to live up to that projection will usually spend some time in the minors or, at least, as a back-up. In my lifetime watching hockey, cannot remember a goalie-version of Connor Bedard. The Islanders thought maybe Rick DiPietro was that, but he was not.

The closest recent comp would be Spencer Knight who played a meaningful number of games at age 20, but he's never really been the Panthers starter for a sustained time. In fact right now, he's one of the - if the not the - highest paid players in the AHL at $4.5m AAV. I'm sure the Panthers do not want to be paying $4.5m to a guy playing in Charlotte.

This piece points out that the coaching and scouting* of goalies is really poor, although I expect that will gradually change because it's such an obvious opportunity for greater efficiency and the NHL is begrudgingly adopting such things. Plus, the NCAA is allowing teams to hire more coaches and I suspect a lot of college teams will add goalie coaches or at least have an assistant who was a goalie and can spend at least part of their time on goalies.

https://deadspin.com/why-aren-t-nhl-...cks-1845290412

I'd also add that suggesting that the NHL should develop goalies the way the NFL scouts and develops quarterbacks is probably not a good idea given that the NFL does not, collectively, have a very good grasp on how to do that either.

I'm not sure what the name of that logical fallacy is but it's when you compare one cultural practice to an apparently equivalent practice in another culture to try to justify one or the other, but gloss over the obvious possibility that both cultures could be doing it wrong.

*I do know that at least one team, the Anaheim Ducks, scouts goalies. Because one of their scouts sat next to me at a Penn State - BC game and he was there to look at Thatcher Demko, even though he was a freshman and still not starting most games for them then. That guy wrote a whole lot of stuff down and, obviously, Demko made it to the NHL, so they must know something.
                                      Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 13-10-2023, 19:49.

Comment

Originally posted by Exiled off Main Street View Post
                                        Well the Bruins, in this the centenary season, have a teenager, Matthew Poitras, on the roster, (Canadian of course) and he's looked exceptional in pre-season. So here's to a great season. Marchand as skipper, Milan Lucic back on the roster and centenary Uni's

They can keep Poitras for nine games and then send him back to the OHL without burning a year of his eligibility, but from what I can gather, they don't expect to do that.

Of local interest, the top two prospects in next year's draft are Macklin Celebrini and Cole Eiserman. Celbrini is from BC and Eiserman is from Newburyport, but they both have mostly played in the US and both are going to play for BU.

Comment

Price also illustrates another factor, which is that current goaltending styles, particularly the butterfly, put strains on body parts that often prove to be intolerable.

Conceptually, it is not dissimilar to what "maximum effort" has done to pitchers, but there is nothing close to Tomny John surgery for goalies.

Comment

Isn't the butterfly disappearing as goalies have increased in size?

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

They can keep Poitras for nine games and then send him back to the OHL without burning a year of his eligibility, but from what I can gather, they don't expect to do that.
                                              The kid is pretty good. He's not a Crosby but he's shown he can handle the rough stuff, so far, despite looking like he should still be in high school....

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                                Isn't the butterfly disappearing as goalies have increased in size?
                                                Pretty much all goalies use some version of the butterfly - there's talk of the "hybrid" or "profly." There really aren't any "stand-up" goalies any more.

Comment

Originally posted by Exiled off Main Street View Post

The kid is pretty good. He's not a Crosby but he's shown he can handle the rough stuff, so far, despite looking like he should still be in high school....
                                                  He's on the Bruins, so he should get protected by, well, everybody.

Also, he's on the Bruins, so he's going to learn from, well, everybody.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X